A little help from the dads of TBD...

Bullpen

Her reply was “well you’re the dad.” So because I'm the dad, I was a fairly decent baseball player back home in WNY, due to "trickle down talent" he should be a good ball player also? Just fuggin great so if he was a girl and didn’t know how give up the nappy-dugout, people would look at the mom and say “Well you’re the mom, teach her how to screw right.”

OK -- now that I googled that, I nominate this line for post of the year. Just hilarious.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a bit too short a time on the grill for some pork chops tonight? "Naw MIL, nothing wrong with a red center."

"Don't worry mom, that's part of the smoke ring. See smoked pork chops have a pinkish color to them." :devil:

Digging for rock bottom, eh? Check your ego at the stovetop.

Well..it's your life... :lol:

Yeah, in real-life I sometimes engage rather than letting things pass.

Buy him some roids.

Worked for Marv Marinovich right? :lol:

OK -- now that I googled that, I nominate this line for post of the year. Just hilarious.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be in town all week, try the veal.

Right after he gets his 'Luckiest Boy in America' medal.

And I earn TBD's Dad of the Year Award!

Thanks again for all the help guys, seriously. I got some good advice and validation too.

My son doesn't play baseball....the coaches around here have encouraged him for years...but as long as he doesnt get to hit hte ball all day he isn't interested.....

But he does play football, basketball, and volleyball.......

Here is what I have learned:

- First...I commend you for not putting pressure on your son to play well because you were good player in your time....this is a lot easier said then done and it deserves congrats

- Learning from and training with dad is just not the same as biulding a repore with a experienced coach that knows what he is doing that isn't you....I learned this first hand myself.....my son spent a summer with a speed/agility coach and then that coach went to NFL Europe.....I tried to take over myself (and I am a former Div III college OT/DE mysefl) I bought training aids, SPARQ equipment, studied up on the internet, etc etc....the problem is I just could not train him myself because a. You cannot switch on and off the "dad" button and b. I simply was not on a level to train him by doing...the kid at 14 years old had more ability then I EVER did......we worked on it for a while......the trainer came back from NFL Europe....and I put him back with the trainer and just handled his lifting in the gym so we could spend time together.......

- Get him a hitting coach.....also a suggestion would be to get him working with hitters that are better then he is.....athletes tend to have their own little "groups" and they help each other. This will elevate his game in a fun way and when he steps out there that pitcher will be a absolute joke in his eyes. An example of this would be my son works out with the local JUCO volleyball team when they train in the evening.......by working with more developed athletes he steps on the court with his varsity volleyball team and it is like they are in slow motion.

Sounds like a teenager to me. Don't fret, soon he'll be asking you to co-sign for college loans. You'll look back on this with much fonder memories, trust me.

Will the be fond memories when you realise that a baseball scholarship would have been much easier on your wallet and bank account?

Okay, so he kept his season hitless streak going. At which point my mother-in-law says to me “You really ought to work with him on his hitting.”

Just tell her you DO work with him. If she keeps nagging at you excuse yourself. Go watch from someplace else for a while. When you come back if she starts again, leave her again. It may take a while but she will either:

1) STFU

2) learn to watch the games without you

It is not worth the stress.

:devil:

If you are a good instructor, I'd take him up bullpen. Kids listen to other people, but parents are stupid.

When I coached Little League, the manager and two of us who were coaches all had kids on the team. Rule was, do not coach your own kid, especially when hw is batting.

I don't know, but I bet it'd be funny as hell to watch. And it might net you $10,000 from America's Funny Videos.

... and that would come in handy to by him some hitting lessons and me some new golf clubs. I mean lessons. By the way, I didn't score many points with her or my wife when I informed them that I would probably miss Saturday's game to play golf. (first game of his I've missed since 2001 by the way)

Is Lesson 1 finding the perfect velcro shoes for playing?

+ 1 for Apuszczalowski!

It is not worth the stress.

:devil:

Very true... after the open-forum therapy here today, I think with a sixer of Shiner Bock beer and the knowledge gleaned here I should be able to tolerate MIL tonight.

When I coached Little League, the manager and two of us who were coaches all had kids on the team. Rule was, do not coach your own kid, especially when hw is batting.

Good rule. When I coached youth baseball back home and when I was stationed in Texas, I had the same rule. They are my kids for the 2 hours during practice and games. If you want to coach them, you have the 22 remaining hours to do it. If they want to disuss (read: not politic for more playing time) baseball-related issues, I would talk with parents AFTER practice.

I've said it here before, baseball (or any sport for that matter) is a great activity that adults only tend to screw up.

Very true... after the open-forum therapy here today, I think with a sixer of Shiner Bock beer and the knowledge gleaned here I should be able to tolerate MIL tonight.

Pinot Grigot or vodka work in a water bottle too!

Good rule. When I coached youth baseball back home and when I was stationed in Texas, I had the same rule. They are my kids for the 2 hours during practice and games. If you want to coach them, you have the 22 remaining hours to do it. If they want to disuss (read: not politic for more playing time) baseball-related issues, I would talk with parents AFTER practice.

I've said it here before, baseball (or any sport for that matter) is a great activity that adults only tend to screw up.

I had to throw a dad off the field for walking out to the mound to talk to his kid during the freaking game!

I had another kid who was great until his father showed up and started hollering "tips" from the stands.

My son still can't play ball very well, but he could be a pro bowler!

If the kid is having fun you are doing everything you can.

I had to throw a dad off the field for walking out to the mound to talk to his kid during the freaking game!

I had another kid who was great until his father showed up and started hollering "tips" from the stands.

My son still can't play ball very well, but he could be a pro bowler!

If the kid is having fun you are doing everything you can.

As a youth coach (or at least used to be) i agree with this totally......

By the way.....it was not always that way and I freely admit it....I was one of the "bad parents" but grew out of it. Now I cant stand when parents do that stuff.

As a youth coach (or at least used to be) i agree with this totally......

By the way.....it was not always that way and I freely admit it....I was one of the "bad parents" but grew out of it. Now I cant stand when parents do that stuff.

I coached for three years then watched his 4th year. To be frank, he sucked at baseball. When he was 12 he said he did not want to play anymore and I said "OK". Why push him to play because I liked it? I was glad he gave it his best and we moved on!

I coached for three years then watched his 4th year. To be frank, he sucked at baseball. When he was 12 he said he did not want to play anymore and I said "OK". Why push him to play because I liked it? I was glad he gave it his best and we moved on!

That's pretty much how I'll deal with it once he either A: gets tired of it or B: gets cut from the JV or Varsity squad.

Thing is, they are opening a new high school in our neighborhood next year that he'll go to and they will "gradually" build their academic and athletic programs as the years progress, so each year he'll be in the highest grade. IE: 09 they'll only go up to 10th grade, 10 they'll go up to 11th grade, etc... so there is a good chance the sports program will also build accordingly and he will continue to "make" the teams as he goes on. If so, it's a nice situation for a marginal athlete, but chances are, they will get there hats handed to them by "real" high schools. :lol: