Maybe Kraft and Jones knew what they were doing

Ralph was right

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but the Pats and Cowboys have always wanted to blow out the salary cap and move the NFL into a MLB-style haves vs have-nots league. Maybe they were betting this deal was so bad, the owners would rescind it in '09 and with it the salary cap. It's an out-there theory but nothing surprises me when it comes to Kraft and Jones.

PTR

2 years ago Ralph said that he was rushed to make a decision and because he didn't understand what was put in front of him he wasn't gonna sign it. He got ridiculed by people on this board and the media for being a senial old fool. The main reason being Ralph should follow what Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft are doing.

I don't know i was always told not to vote for or sign anything you don't understand completely. Ralph was doing the same thing 2 years ago.

Now that the Big Club owners are saying it's a bad deal people listen.

I see people on this board who call Ralph Wilson Cheap and that he doesn't care about Western NY that he is a money grubbing owner like everyone else. As far as i can tell Ralph wants a level playing field and a organization that doesn't lose money which is why he wants the profit sharing. Lets face it if their wasn't some sort of Profit sharing to keep the Bills out of the Red the team would have moved years ago. In the end the Buffalo Bills is a company who wants to make a profit and not lose money.

If people want to see the real money grubbing Owners just look at the cowboys and Patriots. I am with you that they want a uncapped year and just by their championships like the Yankees try. If the stories are true about the other clubs it looks like it could be a 16 week schedule of the Comboys vs Patriots 16 weeks in a row.

Thinking like that is:

Outside the box

Value added

incentive driven

team building

add your catch phrase..

In the end, it is what it is. (Translation: I !@#$ed up, there's nothing I can do about it, and now you all have to find a way to fix it for me to cover up my incompetence).

Ralph was right

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but the Pats and Cowboys have always wanted to blow out the salary cap and move the NFL into a MLB-style haves vs have-nots league. Maybe they were betting this deal was so bad, the owners would rescind it in '09 and with it the salary cap. It's an out-there theory but nothing surprises me when it comes to Kraft and Jones.

PTR

I was also thinking this yesterday. I wouldn't put it past them. Although, the only thing is that Kraft has to be one of the cheapest owners compared to what he charges for tickets. However, his model is also the smartest in the league. But still, these owners could have been together in making this happen.

In the end, it is what it is. (Translation: I !@#$ed up, there's nothing I can do about it, and now you all have to find a way to fix it for me to cover up my incompetence).

I think the owners only choice is to opt out of this contract in November, play out 2009 & then force a work stoppage in 2010. I think it is pretty obvious that 85% of the teams in the league are going to have a real tough go of it under the current conditions. When you have a guy like Pat Bowlen argueing against this deal, you know that most of the teams in the league have got to be feeling the same way. Force a work stoppage & hopefully the union cracks & gives a little back.

Ralph was right

PTR

What is the benefit for Bob Kraft to "blow out the salary cap" or to drastically change the current model of the NFL?

He's built a wildly succesful team under the salary cap by following a disciplined system. If the salary cap goes away (entirely or "virtually"), true yahoos like Dan Snyder might actually build competitive teams with their unlimited checkbooks. That might force Kraft to open up his wallet in return. As it stands now, he gets all the benefits (great team, large profits) with none of the downsides (higher salaries, more upfront investment). He'd be an idiot to risk that. He stands to lose the most if the business model changes. Any owner in the league who's had sustained success under the current model would be foolish to try to shift the business model now.

Now, whether Jones falls under the header of "owner who's had sustained success" or "true yahoo" is debatable.

Ralph was right

PTR

I never thought of that but it makes a lot of sense! :thumbsup: Jones and Snyder are weasles. Hopefully the other owners are thinking what you're thinking too.

Somehow I think a new deal will be negotiated.

I'd give it a 75% chance. I think the labor union realizes that a level field is best for everyone. I think they bluster in order to get the best deal they can.

What is the benefit for Bob Kraft to "blow out the salary cap" or to drastically change the current model of the NFL?

He's built a wildly succesful team under the salary cap by following a disciplined system. If the salary cap goes away (entirely or "virtually"), true yahoos like Dan Snyder might actually build competitive teams with their unlimited checkbooks. That might force Kraft to open up his wallet in return. As it stands now, he gets all the benefits (great team, large profits) with none of the downsides (higher salaries, more upfront investment). He'd be an idiot to risk that. He stands to lose the most if the business model changes. Any owner in the league who's had sustained success under the current model would be foolish to try to shift the business model now.

Now, whether Jones falls under the header of "owner who's had sustained success" or "true yahoo" is debatable.

Interesting point--I was about to hop on Bob as well, but there may be some truth to what you say, although part of me thinks that Kraft may want to be able to let loose his inner Steinbrenner and buy another Lombardi after this year's disappointment.

In terms of the other guys, I have absolutely no doubt that Snyder and Jones would love to go uncapped, no matter what that does to the League.

Interesting point--I was about to hop on Bob as well, but there may be some truth to what you say, although part of me thinks that Kraft may want to be able to let loose his inner Steinbrenner and buy another Lombardi after this year's disappointment.

In terms of the other guys, I have absolutely no doubt that Snyder and Jones would love to go uncapped, no matter what that does to the League.

Kraft is sitting on a mountain of money, and he got it by winning* (cheating?) 3 Super Bowls in a market that is all Red Sox. He needs to keep the Pats on top of folks will lose interest in a hurry. So you can bet he will grab for any advantage he can get, including outspending 98% of the league. Think about it. There are only about 10 NFL markets where they can compete without a salary cap. That means you're almost guaranteed a playoff slot each year. Boston/New England is easily in the top 5 for revenue. Kraft likes his odds.

PTR