Hockey/NHL question

Kyle Rogers went undrafted in the junior hockey draft , but continued his career at Niagara. Given that he was undrafted he was a free agent who could sign with any team of his choice.

Please see this article about the Maple Leafs signing this kid from Niagara

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3319863

can someone explain why they didnt have to draft him? or did they and the article just failed to mention it? i dont get it...

Please see this article about the Maple Leafs signing this kid from Niagara

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3319863

can someone explain why they didnt have to draft him? or did they and the article just failed to mention it? i dont get it...

Because the Leafs are the Cheatriots of the NHL, but they don't actually win anything.....

Because its hockey. Players are drafted early (18-19 years old ish...) they then get the option to go pro, or stay in the collegiate ranks. Many college teams are littered with NHL draftees. These players are property of the NHL clubs, and often leave school early to go pro with the club that owns their rights.

However...since he was not drafted...he is essentially a free agent and can sign a pro contract with any team at any time.

jeez, so it may be better to go undrafted then? if you can go play somewhere in the spotlight...

Players are draft eligible from 18-21 years old. If they go undrafted and become free agents, they are still subject to entry level salary restrictions for 1-2 years, depending on their age when they finally sign. I guess it depends on the player, but I wouldn't say that its better to go undrafted. There are a couple years of lost wages. On top of that, if they had been drafted and signed a contract while younger, the player would be out of the entry level system earlier, which means that there is no longer a cap on what they can make per season.