The thread about Switching to a Mac

stevestojan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A FABULOUS laptop. The desktop I used was nice, but nothing special. The laptops are top notch.

I went to a Lenovo presentation where they described all of the work they put into making one. A tray in the laptop so if you spill liquid onto the keyboard, it funnels it through the keyboard, away from the electronics, and drain it out the bottom. Hinges that are top notch. Sturdy latches that won't break like Dell's do. The trim around the screen is better made and won't scratch. Gyroscopes in the laptop so if you drop it, the OS can park the harddrive head to help prevent damaging the spindles. There was more too that I'm just not remembering. Really very cool.

Yeah I'm thinking of buy a mac also. I don't want to, but I have to. I did some research and went to the (trendy?) mac store and played with them. Not that great. I don't actually want to buy one. But like I said, I have to for work. :)

Why do you need to buy your own laptop for work...?

Apple cost a huge premium. I bet you can get a similar computer from Dell for half the price at least. I am used to Windows and find that much simpler to use. It's hard for me to explain some of my frustrations. For example I have been having a heck of a time trying to load up a picture for my profile. I still cannot get my printer to work. There are lots of programs that are not Mac friendly. Some stuff happens like I will be clicking stuff online and my cursor goes off the screen. I am not a fan of Safari as a browser and when I run Netscape it freezes up my computer.

Netscape?

safari will not allow me to check my hotmail. I also like to run multiple tabs. I always have approximately 100 chess games going on in one window

Did you try Firefox?

I use both and very much prefer the Macs. I know people on here will say they have problems but I've never had one. Most of my home computer time is Office-based apps, pictures, and Internet. Zero issues. Never seizes up. Never has unexplainable slowdowns. No odd .dll files screwing things up. I much prefer it. Setting up a home network was absurdly easy. All peripherals work flawlessly.

Uber-gamers and people who need specific apps may have other preferences but I like the mac. And yes, it is more expensive, but I've never spent a day (or multiple days) trying to install and uninstall windows because of mysterious computer ailments. Seems like I can count on doing that at least twice a year with my Windows machine.

You're company is requiring the use of Macs and making you buy them? Is your company located in communist Stalingrad?

Ha, you guys are going to make me explain this all aren't you. Aside from the fact that it's a small company and I'm having a really hard time talking them into buying a Mac (I've already tried).... I'm really thinking hard about starting my own company. In which case, I would need my Mac. Even if I don't leave the company, I'll still use it for work related sites. On top of that, I do freelance sites here and there and it would be nice to own one.

Also... Apple just released the IPhone SDK. I really want to look into developing for that. It seems interesting, and I'm betting there are a lot of cool things that can be done with it. Of course the SDK only works on Leopard.

So in summary, it just seems like a very smart business move to get one of those things into my possession. Though outside of having to cater to everyone else's Mac usage.. I'm super happy with my Thinkpad, and see no reason I'd ever want to own a Mac for my own use. But hey, maybe I'll change my mind after using it.

-The End :)

There are other manufacturers other than Dell. I'm a HUGE fan of Lenovo Thinkpad (formerly IBM). A little prcier, but the build quality is just amazing.

Definitely good to know! Thanks. Any suggestions for desktops?

I have to buy a desktop for a new office. All our machines are Dells, but I'd love to find something better (as noted with my earlier post). I'd switch the company to all Macs, but they're expensive and the people using them would absolutely freak out if I walked in with a Mac.

I have to buy a desktop for a new office. All our machines are Dells, but I'd love to find something better (as noted with my earlier post). I'd switch the company to all Macs, but they're expensive and the people using them would absolutely freak out if I walked in with a Mac.

Personally, I don't think desktops matter all that much - they all use the same components and the cases are pretty much the same. Go for low price and good support.

Personally, I don't think desktops matter all that much - they all use the same components and the cases are pretty much the same. Go for low price and good support.

Thanks. I'll search for price. I was just looking at the Lenovo line of desktops and laptops. I agree, their laptops look pretty nice.

You might be best off picking your components and having it built to your specs. If going all Mac is an option, cost wise, then the you should be able to do whatever you need to do with quality components on a PC built just for your company's needs.

As far as value in a PC, though, I really like what the Dell Vostro delivers for the price. Lots of (acceptable for most purposes) RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo chips, big hard drives, big monitors and XP or Vista...all for a very attractive price. They come with no trialware and virtually no other crapware. Now, these are lower end machines and I wouldn't advise them for anyone who is a gamer, or has intense graphic design or video editing needs. But, for running basic productivity and business software, surfing the web, modest music/video playing and burning...they do the job, just fine. The Dell Inspiron 530 is, essentially the same computer as the Vostro (the Vostro is the small business model) and it has been getting very good reviews, in general:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,142735/article.html

http://www.trustedreviews.com/pcs/review/2...Inspiron-530/p1

Just know that the Inspiron 530 does come with trialware and crapware.

As for the more expensive models, it really isn't my area. I hear that CyberPower makes a nice machine, ABS used to (still may) and you might want to look at the higher end Dell XPS models. I would guess the higher end Lenovo machines are good, too. This Dell All-in One XPS intrigues me a bit. But, I cant say I think that it's a great idea to have the computer packaged with the monitor:

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/11/19/34532.aspx

You might be best off picking your components and having it built to your specs. If going all Mac is an option, cost wise, then the you should be able to do whatever you need to do with quality components on a PC built just for your company's needs.

As far as value in a PC, though, I really like what the Dell Vostro delivers for the price. Lots of (acceptable for most purposes) RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo chips, big hard drives, big monitors and XP or Vista...all for a very attractive price. They come with no trialware and virtually no other crapware. Now, these are lower end machines and I wouldn't advise them for anyone who is a gamer, or has intense graphic design or video editing needs. But, for running basic productivity and business software, surfing the web, modest music/video playing and burning...they do the job, just fine. The Dell Inspiron 530 is, essentially the same computer as the Vostro (the Vostro is the small business model) and it has been getting very good reviews, in general:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,142735/article.html

http://www.trustedreviews.com/pcs/review/2...Inspiron-530/p1

Just know that the Inspiron 530 does come with trialware and crapware.

As for the more expensive models, it really isn't my area. I hear that CyberPower makes a nice machine, ABS used to (still may) and you might want to look at the higher end Dell XPS models. I would guess the higher end Lenovo machines are good, too. This Dell All-in One XPS intrigues me a bit. But, I cant say I think that it's a great idea to have the computer packaged with the monitor:

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/11/19/34532.aspx

Excellent info, as always. I was about to get a Vostro machine, then I saw the Leveno stuff and started thinking of alternatives. I need a basic machine, easy cheesy. She'll just be doign basic office work, email, MS apps, that kinda stuff. Nothing too serious. \\

Thanks.

Excellent info, as always. I was about to get a Vostro machine, then I saw the Leveno stuff and started thinking of alternatives. I need a basic machine, easy cheesy. She'll just be doign basic office work, email, MS apps, that kinda stuff. Nothing too serious. \\

Thanks.

Several months ago, I got the Vostro 200 slim for my 84-year old dad in an outrageous sale, I have not seen since. Core 2 Duo (2 ghz), 2 gig RAM, XP, 160 HD, 20" Flat Panel Monitor, overnight delivery...$404 plus tax.

You can still put that system together for about $500, I think. More RAM and a bigger HD doesn't cost much to add, neither does a faster processor.

What are your biggest frustrations? Its just odd to hear someone who doesn't "LOVE" their Mac.

The main programs I use are Firefox, Openoffice, and iTunes. Those three (obviously iTunes) work on a Mac.

Just wonering what you don't like. I may just get another Dell. The one thing that I don't like about Dell is it takes the better part of 3 weeks to get it built and delivered. That's unacceptable in my eyes.

A warning on OpenOffice... it doesn't work that good on a mac. There is something called Neooffice which is the port, but its nowhere near as good.

Ha, you guys are going to make me explain this all aren't you. Aside from the fact that it's a small company and I'm having a really hard time talking them into buying a Mac (I've already tried).... I'm really thinking hard about starting my own company. In which case, I would need my Mac. Even if I don't leave the company, I'll still use it for work related sites. On top of that, I do freelance sites here and there and it would be nice to own one.

Also... Apple just released the IPhone SDK. I really want to look into developing for that. It seems interesting, and I'm betting there are a lot of cool things that can be done with it. Of course the SDK only works on Leopard.

So in summary, it just seems like a very smart business move to get one of those things into my possession. Though outside of having to cater to everyone else's Mac usage.. I'm super happy with my Thinkpad, and see no reason I'd ever want to own a Mac for my own use. But hey, maybe I'll change my mind after using it.

-The End :nana:

There was an article on /. talking about how limited the iPhone SDK is, and that it just could be teh downfall of the iPhone vs adroid and other such platforms

1Apple cost a huge premium. I bet you can get a similar computer from Dell for half the price at least. I am used to Windows and find that much simpler to use. It's hard for me to explain some of my frustrations. 2For example I have been having a heck of a time trying to load up a picture for my profile. 3 I still cannot get my printer to work. There are lots of programs that are not Mac friendly. 4Some stuff happens like I will be clicking stuff online and my cursor goes off the screen. I am not a fan of Safari as a browser and when I run Netscape it freezes up my computer. 5Or if you click the mouse wrong it pulls up the dashboard and shows you what time it is. b]6[/b]Or if I am trying to have two pages side by side and cut and paste from one to the other- I cannot figure out how to do that. Most of my complaints are small stuff but there they happen enough that it's frustrating. I am sure if I put more effort into learning my Apple experience would be much more enjoyable- but I do not feel like putting in the time. I do like the photo features and there is some neat programs like garage band and video editing stuff. I am one of the few people that does not love their Apple. I love the Iphone, I love the Ipod, I do not see what the big fuss about the IMac is. They are well marketed but not worth the premium IMO. 7Talk to others- most people love their Mac

1 Check.

2 Here on TBD? or your account's profile: System Preferences/System/Accounts/Picture tab/Edit button/Choose button =>navigate & select.

3 Personal USB or laser printer or is it a LAN device? If it's less than 3 yrs old it should be auto recognized when you "added a printer" but you might not have the proper drivers. Have you been to the vendor's website (HP/Epson/etc.) to see if they have updated the model's drivers for OSX? I can't tell from your post if you're having trouble with the printer, print dialog box or if you missed something in the setup of your printer (again in System Preferences) Print&Fax/Printing/for default printer selection. If your printing hangs for any reason - look on the Dock for the printer's icon and single click. You might have stopped jobs - which you can check in the printer's popup window.

4 Non standards-conforming websites. They're a B word.

5 Another quick trip to System Preferences/ Personal/ Dashboard and Expose. You can select which corner - if any to jump into Dashboard (the widgets that are called to the fore by that mouse/keyboard action. They are at your command and control. Tell them to step down if that's your preference. They'll still be available from the Dock.

6 Selection followed by Command C followed by Command V perhaps? This one is really puzzling to me. I do use Safari a fair amount and have never had issues copying and pasting - except if the text is protected from copying or the cell frame is protected against writing to.

7 Guilty.

I work on a Dell laptop but would never buy one for my personal use. It's a decent machine and regrettably I've become accustomed to the bizarre XP interface. You might hate Apple, but if it weren't for Woz and Jobs who stole the user interface from Xerox PARC, we'd all still be struggling with autoexec.bat and iconfig issues on a black screen with white text while pressing the scroll button to move the text up into viewing range. I'm sure by now the software engineers at Microsoft would be consumed in a raging heuristic controversy about allowing users to select more than green, orange and white text on the black screen. Ah yes, MS DOSE (the MS DOS Era) was great training for Radiologists no doubt and about as fun as a dose of the clap.

Can't find the re-introduced version that amusingly shows her wearing an iPod.

BTW - some salient advice from seemeinHD below, "mac is the retareded (sic) cousin of microsoft, keep trying you mac virgins pc's are for !@#$in normal people" :nana: