The thread about Switching to a Mac

stevestojan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was me. I still much prefer my old windows based system and I still get frustrated with my Mac. It is great for photos and there are some cool features. But Mac's are not all that they are cracked up to be IMO

That was me. I still much prefer my old windows based system and I still get frustrated with my Mac. It is great for photos and there are some cool features. But Mac's are not all that they are cracked up to be IMO

What are your biggest frustrations? Its just odd to hear someone who doesn't "LOVE" their Mac.

The main programs I use are Firefox, Openoffice, and iTunes. Those three (obviously iTunes) work on a Mac.

Just wonering what you don't like. I may just get another Dell. The one thing that I don't like about Dell is it takes the better part of 3 weeks to get it built and delivered. That's unacceptable in my eyes.

What are your biggest frustrations? Its just odd to hear someone who doesn't "LOVE" their Mac.

The main programs I use are Firefox, Openoffice, and iTunes. Those three (obviously iTunes) work on a Mac.

Just wonering what you don't like. I may just get another Dell. The one thing that I don't like about Dell is it takes the better part of 3 weeks to get it built and delivered. That's unacceptable in my eyes.

Apple cost a huge premium. I bet you can get a similar computer from Dell for half the price at least. I am used to Windows and find that much simpler to use. It's hard for me to explain some of my frustrations. For example I have been having a heck of a time trying to load up a picture for my profile. I still cannot get my printer to work. There are lots of programs that are not Mac friendly. Some stuff happens like I will be clicking stuff online and my cursor goes off the screen. I am not a fan of Safari as a browser and when I run Netscape it freezes up my computer. Or if you click the mouse wrong it pulls up the dashboard and shows you what time it is. Or if I am trying to have two pages side by side and cut and paste from one to the other- I cannot figure out how to do that. Most of my complaints are small stuff but there they happen enough that it's frustrating. I am sure if I put more effort into learning my Apple experience would be much more enjoyable- but I do not feel like putting in the time. I do like the photo features and there is some neat programs like garage band and video editing stuff. I am one of the few people that does not love their Apple. I love the Iphone, I love the Ipod, I do not see what the big fuss about the IMac is. They are well marketed but not worth the premium IMO. Talk to others- most people love their Mac

I'm not a Mac fan either. I used one a couple of years back in a Photoshop class I was taking. I liked that I could get a UNIX shell and work faster that way. But the GUI wasn't very intuitive (although part of that might've been because the class had crappy 1-button mice).

I'm a guy who hasn't had the greatest experience with my Mac. I have also have had a few PC duds, in my time.

IMO, the superiority of the Mac is VASTLY overstated. They are VERY good at some things, though. So it really depends on what you need/want to do with the machine, how adept you are with PC/Windows, your budget, etc.

Apple is currently in the middle of a s#it-storm of problems/issues. The number of vulnerabilities on Mac OS is way up from where it was a few years ago. In fact, recently there was a competition with a big cash prize to see which system could be hacked first, the latest editions of Mac OS X, Vista and Linux. Mac OS X fell first:

http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/711

Then there is the matter of addressing known problems. 0-Day patches are those that were patched on the day they became known. The study look only at vulnerabilities rated high and medium risk. Apple was slower to patch serious known problems:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/0327...t-vs-apple.html

Recently, Apple has resorted to some of the scummier practices of sneaking their software onto Windows computers:

http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2008/03...re-methods.html

Some here (hey, Dawgg) think that Apple software is superior. I think anyone who has had to use Safari, Mac Mail, and Mac Write will disagree. Obviously, the software choice is FAR superior for Windows based systems (except, of course, for certain specific applications).

OK, let's make one thing clear. I am only bringing up Apple negatives here, to show there is another side to the story. Microsoft and Windows certainly have their share of issues, as well. But, Apple gets the Spitzer treatment for their "better than thou" ads and the "holier than thou" attitudes of the Mac zealots.

If someone tells you that "Macs are better" or "PC is better" without knowing how you use your computer, what you are used to, what your budget is, what you plan to do, etc...they are idiots.

I am a Mac user and have been for a long time (love it, but hate the people who treat what computer you own as a moral question). That being said, I have used Windows throughout jobs and school and even supported it at times.

Whether switching is right for you, I think is an open question. It really depends on the person. If you used Windows your whole life, you are going to have a learning curve. I'd say that using the older Mac OSes will help, but even if you have old Mac experience, Mac OS X is a lot different. Do you want to spend time learning different programs, different interfaces, different ways of configuring your computer, etc.? If you are happy with Windows and don't have time to spend learning the Mac more, I'd give it careful thought before I plunked down around 1K for a MacBook.

I like Mac OS X in that I prefer the programs, have a rock-solid reliable operating system that rarely requires any drivers to be individually installed. Still (although the problem is mitigated by the ability to use Windows on the Intel-based Macs) you are going to find less programs, less games and less peripherals. I get along fine and rarely need Windows, but I do not have any unusual software needs. Maybe you do.

I am surprised by the disappointment with Safari and note that most people who do not use Safari use Firefox or its cousins (Bon Echo -- basically the same but optimized for the various processors, Camino, etc.) without a problem.

Any chance that you have a friend who might lend you a Mac with Mac OS X on it? Having a week to try it out might be prudent.

You will almost always pay a price premium, but how much of that there is a matter of interpretation. MacBooks are not strippers with built in cameras, DVD burners, lightweight, wide screens.

If you are going to buy a Mac, I'd recommend buying refurbished MacBooks that start at 799 at the Apple Store. Their availability varies, but they feel like new ones and have the same warranty protections.

I am a Mac user and have been for a long time (love it, but hate the people who treat what computer you own as a moral question). That being said, I have used Windows throughout jobs and school and even supported it at times.

Whether switching is right for you, I think is an open question. It really depends on the person. If you used Windows your whole life, you are going to have a learning curve. I'd say that using the older Mac OSes will help, but even if you have old Mac experience, Mac OS X is a lot different. Do you want to spend time learning different programs, different interfaces, different ways of configuring your computer, etc.? If you are happy with Windows and don't have time to spend learning the Mac more, I'd give it careful thought before I plunked down around 1K for a MacBook.

I like Mac OS X in that I prefer the programs, have a rock-solid reliable operating system that rarely requires any drivers to be individually installed. Still (although the problem is mitigated by the ability to use Windows on the Intel-based Macs) you are going to find less programs, less games and less peripherals. I get along fine and rarely need Windows, but I do not have any unusual software needs. Maybe you do.

I am surprised by the disappointment with Safari and note that most people who do not use Safari use Firefox or its cousins (Bon Echo -- basically the same but optimized for the various processors, Camino, etc.) without a problem.

Any chance that you have a friend who might lend you a Mac with Mac OS X on it? Having a week to try it out might be prudent.

You will almost always pay a price premium, but how much of that there is a matter of interpretation. MacBooks are not strippers with built in cameras, DVD burners, lightweight, wide screens.

If you are going to buy a Mac, I'd recommend buying refurbished MacBooks that start at 799 at the Apple Store. Their availability varies, but they feel like new ones and have the same warranty protections.

Excellent post, IMO, Johnny.

I looked at the refurbs, and the price is $250 less for the same computer. I read some stories where people have had bad experiences. To me, its not worth it, especially since I can save $100 on retail as my fiance is enrolled in a couple classes for school so i can use that discount.

I want a mac for a few reasons.

1) I know the programs i use 99% of the time are compatible.

2) I love tinkering around with new crap

3) They are more expensive, however have an incredible resale value. My 5 year old laptop that I'm on right now wouldn't get me $150 on craigslist. I paid over $1100 for it.

I've used both Macs and Dells for years. I do your basic work stuff... MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access; plus website creation, design brochures, posters, etc; and of course all the internet stuff. No games. I've done it all on both Macs and the Dells. IMO, they're both pretty much the same. I'd say there's nothing anyone can do on a Mac that I can't do equally well on a Dell; likewise, there's nothing I can do on a Dell that I can't do on a Mac. So, to some extent, it's a wash.

With that being said... I vastly prefer working on a Mac. The integration of all the software is much more seamless and consistent. Far less troubleshooting and far fewer virii. The machine is sleek and solid. Plain and simple. The biggest problem, you would have are all the little differences. I imagine that's Pete's problem. To Copy on a Dell, you hit "Ctrl" + "C", on a Mac its "Cmd" + "C" - the same but different. The "X" to close windows is in the top right corner in Windows Apps; on a Mac its in the top left corner. And so on. So, it's getting used to all those different things that can make the switch difficult.

But, imagine installing a program simply by dragging the application to a folder on your hard drive. Or uninstalling it by just hitting delete. No dangling .dll's to worry about. It's those kinds of things that seem nice to me. Also, I'll add that Dell's are becoming crap. I'm on my 3rd laptop in less than 3 years. I've had the one I'm typing on right now for about 8 months - the hinge on the monitor has about 3/4in play (so its about to go), the left mouse button is sticky, and the space bar just pooped out 2 days ago (I popped it back in). I give this thing 3 (maybe 6 months tops) before it'll be replaced. Conversely, the only reason I've ever replaced a Mac was to buy a new one. They're just better built.

As far as the price goes... yes, Dells are cheaper. But a Taurus is cheaper than a BMW, as well. They both get you to work. But, one gets you there in style and luxury. If you have the money, IMO, its a no brainer - ride in style.

I looked at the refurbs, and the price is $250 less for the same computer. I read some stories where people have had bad experiences. To me, its not worth it, especially since I can save $100 on retail as my fiance is enrolled in a couple classes for school so i can use that discount.

3) They are more expensive, however have an incredible resale value. My 5 year old laptop that I'm on right now wouldn't get me $150 on craigslist. I paid over $1100 for it.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think a 5 year old personal computer will bring anything on resale regardless of the OS.

But, as far as the other stuff goes, if you are feelin' the Mac, go for it! Just make sure you aren't buying it for the hype.

I have had a good experience with refurbs, but yeah, the savings drop when you compare it to the academic price.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think a 5 year old personal computer will bring anything on resale regardless of the OS.

But, as far as the other stuff goes, if you are feelin' the Mac, go for it! Just make sure you aren't buying it for the hype.

I think there's something to the resale argument, but I wouldn't necessarily buy them for that reason. Anecdotally, I sold off a 8 year old Mac laptop several months ago for $175 on craigslist.

I have to say this is the one reasonable discussion of the PC/Mac decision. You have PC and Mac users, and those that use both. No name calling, no zealots, some prefer one, some the other. The reasons are given and discussed.

Am I still on TSW?

As far as the price goes... yes, Dells are cheaper. But a Taurus is cheaper than a BMW, as well. They both get you to work. But, one gets you there in style and luxury. If you have the money, IMO, its a no brainer - ride in style.

There are other manufacturers other than Dell. I'm a HUGE fan of Lenovo Thinkpad (formerly IBM). A little prcier, but the build quality is just amazing.

There are other manufacturers other than Dell. I'm a HUGE fan of Lenovo Thinkpad (formerly IBM). A little prcier, but the build quality is just amazing.

A FABULOUS laptop. The desktop I used was nice, but nothing special. The laptops are top notch.

I have to say this is the one reasonable discussion of the PC/Mac decision. You have PC and Mac users, and those that use both. No name calling, no zealots, some prefer one, some the other. The reasons are given and discussed.

Am I still on TSW?

TSW has deteriorated. There are many great posters still. It is too bad we cannot have an idiot's board and segregate. This is a nice discussion though and how things should be