Davidson Students get ride, hotel, game ticket free

millbank

Students Get Free Ride, Hotel and Ticket To Game

Thanks to the deep pockets of the school's Board of Trustees, nearly 300 students will travel to Detroit to watch their beloved men's basketball team continue its surprising run in the NCAA tournament tonight.

Students are getting bus transportation, two nights' lodging and a ticket to see Davidson play Wisconsin in the Midwest Regional - all for free.

Trustees pledged Wednesday to pay for any student. Within a day, 275 students - nearly 20 percent of the student body - had signed up. That sent officials at the small liberal-arts college, about 20 miles north of Charlotte and about 650 miles south of Detroit, scrambling.

"The response was tremendous and frankly, surprisingly large," school spokeswoman Stacey Schmeidel said yesterday. "We actually have a lot more students who want to go, but we're trying to find more buses."

Behind sophomore sensation Stephen Curry, Davidson upset Gonzaga and Georgetown last week for the school's first NCAA tournament wins in 39 years. Curry, the son of NBA sharpshooter Dell Curry, has led the Wildcats to a 28-6 season that they hope to extend tonight.

When students learned they could see Curry and the Wildcats in person, they jumped, even though the seven buses pull out at 5 a.m. for the 11-hour trip.

-excellent good for them....

so let me get this straight, students that do not play ncaa sponsored sports at davidson can accept rides from alum, however, atheletes that do not have time or the ability to get jobs to afford them some "luxuries" other students are afforded cannot accept offers from alum...all the while the school charges admission and receives revenues at the expense of these student athletes..........anything wrong with this picture?????????????

Students Get Free Ride, Hotel and Ticket To Game

Thanks to the deep pockets of the school's Board of Trustees, nearly 300 students will travel to Detroit to watch their beloved men's basketball team continue its surprising run in the NCAA tournament tonight.

Students are getting bus transportation, two nights' lodging and a ticket to see Davidson play Wisconsin in the Midwest Regional - all for free.

Trustees pledged Wednesday to pay for any student. Within a day, 275 students - nearly 20 percent of the student body - had signed up. That sent officials at the small liberal-arts college, about 20 miles north of Charlotte and about 650 miles south of Detroit, scrambling.

"The response was tremendous and frankly, surprisingly large," school spokeswoman Stacey Schmeidel said yesterday. "We actually have a lot more students who want to go, but we're trying to find more buses."

Behind sophomore sensation Stephen Curry, Davidson upset Gonzaga and Georgetown last week for the school's first NCAA tournament wins in 39 years. Curry, the son of NBA sharpshooter Dell Curry, has led the Wildcats to a 28-6 season that they hope to extend tonight.

When students learned they could see Curry and the Wildcats in person, they jumped, even though the seven buses pull out at 5 a.m. for the 11-hour trip.

-excellent good for them....

so let me get this straight, students that do not play ncaa sponsored sports at davidson can accept rides from alum, however, atheletes that do not have time or the ability to get jobs to afford them some "luxuries" other students are afforded cannot accept offers from alum...all the while the school charges admission and receives revenues at the expense of these student athletes..........anything wrong with this picture?????????????

I agree to a certain extent. Those other students aren't getting free tuition. It's become a minor league system for the NFL and NBA and the free education looks like a gift nobody will use.

The alumni may be paying for the tickets, but Stephen Curry is giving them the ride.

That kid is amazing.

A lot of colleges passed him over too. I think they regret that now.

I agree to a certain extent. Those other students aren't getting free tuition. It's become a minor league system for the NFL and NBA and the free education looks like a gift nobody will use.

How do we know? Colleges give scholarships for things other than athletics.

How do we know? Colleges give scholarships for things other than athletics.

True, but alumni don't give them all sorts of free stuff to come to the college. They also have to take real classes. If they want money they have to get real jobs. I'm all for a stipend of say $50 a week but they get a lot already.

great point, no real good answer, but there is no doubt the institution is making out better than these athletes, wish it was an easier answer

A lot of colleges passed him over too. I think they regret that now.

great point, no real good answer, but there is no doubt the institution is making out better than these athletes, wish it was an easier answer

I think there is a relatively simple solution (it won't please everyone, that's for sure)

Things may have changed, but when I was in college, students were allowed to work a certain amount of hours (I think 20 a week) for the school. They are also allowed to take jobs with boosters and such. As these options were being abused to help athletes (no-show jobs, free cars, huge salaries, etc) most of the options for a college athlete to make SOME legitimate spending money, are now gone.

Well, an athlete works for the school by playing on the team, going to practice, etc. If the athlete were paid the going rate for a student worker in the library or cafeteria, they would have enough LEGITIMATE money to go on a date, buy a cd, etc.

Some athletes at some schools really live high on the hog, but that's not the case for the typical scholarship athlete at the typical school. I believe the entire system needs to be reformed, but it also needs to be fair. Students on full academic scholarships are allowed to take money to work for the school, why shouldn't the student on an athletic scholarship?

I also believe that students should have to go to class, pass their classes legitimately, etc. But, those are entirely different issues.

A small stipend would be fair payment (the same as others who work for the school, scholarship or not) to the athlete without turning the athlete into a paid professional.

Stephen Curry and team mates made that bus ride worth while...

Davidson in the Elite Eight !!!

Now the students get to tour lovely Detroit until the next game.

i was rooting for the Badgers, but congrats to Davidson on a terrific game.

its funny being down here in "Hokie-Nation" listening to all the fans scream about tech letting curry get away.....as if at the time anyone of them knew him from adam, other than being "a legacy"

I remember when his dad played for the Cavaliers in the late 80s. I think he was second in the NBA Rookie of the Year balloting in 1988.

Hey, every tournament needs a Cinderella...and Davidson fits the slipper perfectly right now.