ESPN McShay-Bills Falling in Love w/Kelly

Sorry if it has already been posted:

Daniel (NYC): Can the Bills take a WR at 11 or is that too high? Especially if Kelly doesn't have a good day April 9...

Todd McShay: I think it is a little bit high, but I also think the need a big WR. If Kelly works out as well as I think he will (I am told at 230 lbs, he will run in the low 4.4s and is perfectly healthy) the Bills will strongly consider taking him there. ideally they would move back a few spots, get some picks, and still get him, but that may not happen. I am told they are falling in love with Kelly.

Daniel (NYC): Can the Bills take a WR at 11 or is that too high? Especially if Kelly doesn't have a good day April 9...

Todd McShay: I think it is a little bit high, but I also think the need a big WR. If Kelly works out as well as I think he will (I am told at 230 lbs, he will run in the low 4.4s and is perfectly healthy) the Bills will strongly consider taking him there. ideally they would move back a few spots, get some picks, and still get him, but that may not happen. I am told they are falling in love with Kelly.

I don't buy it.

In the last two drafts since Donahoe.

With the number one pick:

1. The Bills gave no indication that they were "falling in love" with Whitner

2. Last year, even though they had a glaring hole at running back, they remained poker faced about taking Lynch

My guess would be, this is be floated out there because they actually are smitten with a WR besides Kelly, or another position player altogether.

I don't buy it.

2. Last year, even though they had a glaring hole at running back, they remained poker faced about taking Lynch

My guess would be, this is be floated out there because they actually are smitten with a WR besides Kelly, or another position player altogether.

They did anything but with Lynch. At this time last year, the Bills were rumored to have 'fallen in love' with Lynch as well. Modrak also spoke in glowing terms about him a few weeks prior to the draft. The Bills really aren't that secretive about their interest in certain players, especially for that R1 pick.

If there's a reason to put no stock into this rumor, its the source. McShay completely blew it last year, missing their obvious interest in Lynch, even so much as labeling him a major reach if/when selected at 12.

They did anything but with Lynch. At this time last year, the Bills were rumored to have 'fallen in love' with Lynch as well. Modrak also spoke in glowing terms about him a few weeks prior to the draft. The Bills really aren't that secretive about their interest in certain players, especially for that R1 pick.

If there's a reason to put no stock into this rumor, its the source. McShay completely blew it last year, missing their obvious interest in Lynch, even so much as labeling him a major reach if/when selected at 12.

Wrong.

Lynch was the logical pick to fill a gaping hole, even a caveman could see that.

Tell me my friend, if they telegraph their pick so much, why wasn't their love for Donte Whitner on display for all to see?

I don't buy it.

Exactlty, we should make a list of players the Bills bring in and see if they draft them.

Wrong.

Lynch was the logical pick to fill a gaping hole, even a caveman could see that.

Tell me my friend, if they telegraph their pick so much, why wasn't their love for Donte Whitner on display for all to see?

You're right, and Whitner filled a gaping hole at SS. Kelly would fill a gaping hole at WR.

The reason we didn't hear any of the Whitner rumors was for one simple reason: none of us wanted to. They may have been out there, but if they were, we probably ignored them. I do know that we all laughed at Mike Mayock when, starting about a week prior to the draft, he kept insisting Whitner was their guy.

And no, they do not telegraph their picks, but after digging through every little scrap of pre-draft, Bills related info I can find through the last 8 or 9 years, my own little theory is that you can pick up hints of their interest, sometimes strong hints. Its probably the same with any team. Then again, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

If there's one thing I've learned from the current regime is they don't seem to mind taking guys higher then their expected to go ie if they target a guy they have no issues for going after him even if a "better" plan would be to trade down. That's why it wouldn't shock me for us to take Kelly, Sweed or possibly Devin Thomas at pick #11 even though most all grade out with lower value grades (pick 14-25) by most draft gurus. As both Whitner and Lynch had first round grades in their respective year but most felt they were lower valued players. The same can be said of the entire draft class. Right now I rank Sweed and Thomas as the top 2 though if Kelly does run and runs in the 4.45-4.55 range he could easily surpass both Sweed and Thomas as like Lynch and Whitner he's a well thought of player who came out his junior year. Meaning he's younger and perhaps offers greater upside then a guy like Sweed. Yet I admit am worried why he's yet to run yet but perhaps he's not completely healed from his injury.

You're right, and Whitner filled a gaping hole at SS. Kelly would fill a gaping hole at WR.

The reason we didn't hear any of the Whitner rumors was for one simple reason: none of us wanted to. They may have been out there, but if they were, we probably ignored them. I do know that we all laughed at Mike Mayock when, starting about a week prior to the draft, he kept insisting Whitner was their guy.

And no, they do not telegraph their picks, but after digging through every little scrap of pre-draft, Bills related info I can find through the last 8 or 9 years, my own little theory is that you can pick up hints of their interest, sometimes strong hints. Its probably the same with any team. Then again, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

If I remember correctly, everyone thought Ngata was the obvious choice for the Bills at #8 that year. Not a whole lot of folks saw the Whitner pick coming, let alone the trade up for McCargo...

Wrong.

No he's not wrong. I remember the Bills being very interested in Lynch pre draft.

Guest dog14787
I've said before....if Kelly runs in the 4.4's......this team is going to be worried that Kelly won't be there at 11.

I pray to the baby Jesus that we take Kelly.

He's in my prayers also :thumbsup:

Still doesn't mean that we won't take Sweed or Thomas.

Guest dog14787
Still doesn't mean that we won't take Sweed or Thomas.

Running 4.4s at 230lbs, real good hands, gritty as they come, down field play maker.

I don't know, Malcom Kelly could be the next TO (athletic ability, not attitude), I would hate to pass him up. :thumbsup: