Ultimate fights expand to include kids

erynthered

Perhaps making it illegal will stop it from happening. Like drugs and dog fighting. That way we only punish the people actually doing it the right way.

Very smart.

Good to see your lifetime of trained fighting has made you an anger free person... maybe this is good for kids....

:thumbsup:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps making it illegal will stop it from happening. Like drugs and dog fighting. That way we only punish the people actually doing it the right way.

Very smart.

I don't believe i suggested that. But, while things shouldn't be outlawed simply because they can be misused, to create something without giving thought to the likely unintended negative consequences is flat-out moronic.

Lacking tolerance for the ignorant and anger are not the same thing, grasshopper.

Got the thesaurus of sarcastic one liners out tonight?

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with your unending attempt to be the world's greatest smartass/know-it-all. What I am saying is I don't think you should be the poster child for "Combat sports are good for your kids. Just look what it did for me!"

I don't believe i suggested that.

I didn't say you did.

But, while things shouldn't be outlawed simply because they can be misused, to create something without giving thought to the likely unintended negative consequences is flat-out moronic.

The only thing I've heard/seen so far is fear mongering based on terms like "cage matches" and "human cockfighting". As far as what you think "could" possibly happen, whoopie. MMA is never going away, it's simply the latest (and best) evolution of combat sports that have been around since 2 dudes decided to see who was toughest.

Got the thesaurus of sarcastic one liners out tonight?

Don't need one. Despite the number of head shots I've taken, I'm still pretty smart.

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with your unending attempt to be the worlds greatest smartass/know-it-all.

Stop giving me goals. I hate goals.

What I am saying is I don't think you should be the poster child "Combat sports are good for your kids. Just look what it did for me!"

You mean because you've got a good handle on who I am based on my wry sense of humor and general disdain for people who passionately use ignorance to limit things other people do?

They don't fight in "cage matches", sporto. The kids (not the adults) fight on mats, just like they do in every other combat sport. And they wear protective gear (lots of it), and everything is VERY closely supervised, just like ever other sanctioned combat sport event. I don't have any scientific data, but to me it's a ton safer than youth football because your kid is never going to be facing someone who is significantly bigger, stronger, or more skilled because the rules simply don't allow it.

But let's keep pushing the stereotype that the sport is about little kids "pounding the hell outta each other", as if there's even a grain of truth to it.

Do you have a 6 year old? Are you basing your feelings on any data, as Mr Dean would ask? Also, Mr Dean would ask for links. Where are you Mr. Dean?

Protective gear has always been proven to prevent injury? Supervision has also proven to be a safety net for all children's athletics?

I cant agree with you there. (bolded arrea)

Do you have a 6 year old? Are you basing your feelings on any data, as Mr Dean would ask? Also, Mr Dean would ask for links. Where are you Mr. Dean?

No. I have a 22 year old who was in Kenpo at six. If there were actually MMA facilities back then with good instructors and he'd wanted to try it, I'd have let him. I would not have let him box under any circumstances.

I already said I don't have any data. But I played youth football and wasn't anywhere near the biggest kid. Combat sports pair kids based on size and ability. The only limitation I remember from youth football was a maximum weight limit. I know the first couple of years I played Vince Lombardi there were kids who weighed nearly double what I did.

Protective gear has always been proven to prevent injury? Supervision has also proven to be a safety net for all children's athletics?

Dumbest argument ever. You let your kids ride a bike?

Like I care. :thumbsup:

You !@#$ing retard. That was your argument.

And I dont care about your 22 year old. Like you have any !@#$ing idea. Christ.

That was your argument...

Again, do you let your kids ride a bike? Or are they strapped front and back with mattresses with little neon helmets in case an acorn falls from the sky that might damage their precious little noggins while they accomplish whatever "feats" they're actually allowed to attempt?

ALL sports carry the risk of injury. sh--, you can end up dead or crippled walking down the stairs. You obviously don't let your kids walk up and down stairs until they're what, 30? It's for the children, after all. Think of them, won't you?

And I dont care about your 22 year old. Like you have any !@#$ing idea. Christ.

Someone's estrogen meter is pegged. And I'm glad you don't care about him. That way I don't have to worry about you staring at his ass. Fag.

After reading the article, how is this different than any sparring? Hell, I went to tournaments at the age of 8 where I was knocked out. Oh, perhaps that isn't the best argument.

Seriously, how is this different than a sparring match in a tournament? Now if you want to discuss how the parents may freak out and get hyper competitive, that is a different story. It still isn't a reflection on MMA.

After reading the article, how is this different than any sparring? Hell, I went to tournaments at the age of 8 where I was knocked out. Oh, perhaps that isn't the best argument.

Seriously, how is this different than a sparring match in a tournament? Now if you want to discuss how the parents may freak out and get hyper competitive, that is a different story. It still isn't a reflection on MMA.

Alaska Darin's point.... on xanax.

Again, do you let your kids ride a bike? Or are they strapped front and back with mattresses with little neon helmets in case an acorn falls from the sky that might damage their precious little noggins while they accomplish whatever "feats" they're actually allowed to attempt?

ALL sports carry the risk of injury. sh--, you can end up dead or crippled walking down the stairs. You obviously don't let your kids walk up and down stairs until they're what, 30? It's for the children, after all. Think of them, won't you?

Someone's estrogen meter is pegged.

No. Not really. I think we're close on our views. You just like to throw hand grenades. Your analogies are true. As are the other ones I could write. The if-comes are endless. Bottom line is boys in MO are fighting in cage matches. Ironic that its illegal in most other state's eh? You from Missouri?

But its good for future generations.

Alaska Darin's point.... on xanax.

Hell, didn't you read the PPP thread? I am DCTom (no wonder no one likes me), You are AD and AD is Ed. Or something like that.

How is this any different than Football? No kid ever gets knocked out in football? No kid ever gets a sprain in any other sport? No kid ever gets hit with a baseball?

Martial arts can add discipline to a kid's life. They can also turn him into a bullying punk. Oddly enough, it depends on the teacher.