Trent Edwards video at the 07 draft

I made a fortune betting against Stanford that year. Vegas could not set the lines high enough. It was not Edwards either. I think TE was the #1 or #2 QB coming out of High School. Im not sure of the specifics but Stanford was going thru an overhaul of their football department right when he signed on with the school & as a result alot of their recruits got out of their letters & decided to go somewhere else. He wanted to make good on his obligation.

When I say they were bad & he had absolutely no talent around him that is an understatement. Standford was about as bad as a BCS conference team could possibly be.

Trent had bad luck in that he just missed Ty Willingham's tenure at Stanford and had to suffer through Buddy Teevens and Walt Harris -- although Harris is an elite QB coach. In Ty's last year at Stanford the team went 9-3. Gordio, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to with regards to players leaving. Trent came in with an excellent recruiting class, including the number 1 DE in the country (Julian Jenkins). In Trent's first three years as a starter the team went 13-20. In Trent's junior year (2005) Stanford was one blown call away from 6-6, beating Navy, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State and Oregon State. They also took UCLA to overtime and almost beat a 9-2 Notre Dame team (Notre Dame won in the last minute).

In Trent's senior year at Stanford (2006), I thought that the major problem was his receivers. Once Bradford and Moore (both of whom should be on NFL rosters next year) got hurt, he was throwing to walk-ons and redshirts who could not get any separation. Opponents crowded the box and blitzed at will because they could cover the receivers one on one. It was an awful year. But saying that Stanford had no talent during Trent's tenure is misleading. In the last 10 years Stanford has had 35 players drafted by the NFL -- second most in the Pac-10 behind USC. Since 2002, Trent's freshman red-shirt season, they have had 26 players drafted.

Guest dog14787

Some interesting points where brought up about Trent Edwards throwing motion and follow through, when Edwards sets properly he has a beautiful throwing motion and follow through ( it stands out in practice ) but he does lift his foot sometimes on long throws, especially during a game. My guess is its a product of a terrible O-line in college so he's never been afforded the time needed to go deep without getting clobbered. A little bit of nervous feet for lack of a better name for it. Or it could just be a bad habit that can easily be corrected. He seems so mature, we forget how new this young man is to the NFL.

My feelings are Trent Edwards was the steal of the century. We shall see how it all pans out . :beer:

Trent had bad luck in that he just missed Ty Willingham's tenure at Stanford and had to suffer through Buddy Teevens and Walt Harris -- although Harris is an elite QB coach. In Ty's last year at Stanford the team went 9-3. Gordio, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to with regards to players leaving. Trent came in with an excellent recruiting class, including the number 1 DE in the country (Julian Jenkins). In Trent's first three years as a starter the team went 13-20. In Trent's junior year (2005) Stanford was one blown call away from 6-6, beating Navy, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State and Oregon State. They also took UCLA to overtime and almost beat a 9-2 Notre Dame team (Notre Dame won in the last minute).

In Trent's senior year at Stanford (2006), I thought that the major problem was his receivers. Once Bradford and Moore (both of whom should be on NFL rosters next year) got hurt, he was throwing to walk-ons and redshirts who could not get any separation. Opponents crowded the box and blitzed at will because they could cover the receivers one on one. It was an awful year. But saying that Stanford had no talent during Trent's tenure is misleading. In the last 10 years Stanford has had 35 players drafted by the NFL -- second most in the Pac-10 behind USC. Since 2002, Trent's freshman red-shirt season, they have had 26 players drafted.

Like I said I did not really remember specifics & when I said he had no talent around him I was talking about his last year. I remember that his starting receivers were walk ons. I guess I was wrong when he first came on to stanford. I thought I read somewhere that the athletic department or the football department was going thru an overhaul & that they lost alot of recruits because of it.

I think the biggest problems for Trent, last year, were:

1. He was a rookie

2. He was uncomfortable playing in bad weather

3. The offensive coordinator.

I would agree with those 3. Now, 2 of them have been removed, so hopefully we'll have us a fine NFL QB.

If you want to add a 4th issue I would probably say quality receiving targets. That one hasn't been addressed. Yet.

This statement should be pinned.

It is the underlying truth to this organization for the last 5 years.

The Bills didnt' f-up Bledsoe, Johnson, or Losman. They arrived defective. They all had/have the same affliction - bad pocket awareness and trouble reading defenses. All had/have great arms. If arm strength was a true measure of NFL QB greatness, Jeff George would be in the Hall of Fame. I don't think any sculptors have put the calipers to his cranium lately.

The Bills are guilty of having too much faith in their ability to cure these QB's defects and bad habits (can you say alarm clocks at practice?), but THEY didnt't turn them into bad QBs. They all had or have great physical talent, but not talent where you need it most in the NFL - between the ears.

In Edwards' limited time, he's shown that he very well may have the instictive, intuitive, mental part of the game that can't be taught or coached.

Certainly, he'll benefit from more game experience, film study, and building a rapport with his offensive weapons and linemen. Will he finally be the long awaited answer to Jim Kelly's departure? Who knows? But having the mind for NFL football is a good start.

Anyone find it funny that right after the dude says he can make all the throws...the highlight(which was the first one) is an underthrown INT

I appreciate the irony of the timing of the comment.

But let's all be clear; he CAN make all the throws.

No QB, living or dead, made ALL the throws, ALL the time.

Same can be said of any aspect of any position in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

How many deep throws do you want to make in the game.....NFL is all about moving the chains....I for a change wouldn't mind a dink-and-dunk offense, if we can score points. It also takes pressure off our smallish defense....The recent success of Brady, Big Ben, Delhomme etc makes me comfotable, that we will be better off throwing the 10 yard/15 yard short range passes consistently rather than throwing 40 yard bombs and having multiple 3 and outs.

This is essential. Hopefully TE's receivers will lead the league in YAC yards. We will have receivers who are fast (Parrish), former RB's (Reed, Mayle), downfield blockers for each other (Reed, hopefully Hubbard), leapers (hopefully Bradford and Kelly), deep threats (Evans and hopefully Kelly), receiving RB's (Lynch, Jackson, and hopefully UDFA Jalen Parmele) and end zone targets (TE's, Evans, Kelly, Bradford).

I appreciate the irony of the timing of the comment.

But let's all be clear; he CAN make all the throws.

No QB, living or dead, made ALL the throws, ALL the time.

Same can be said of any aspect of any position in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

can he make them consistently is the question......

right now he has consistently not made them....I'm hoping its more about lack of confidence...then lack of arm