Buying drugs from

I know they are cheaper but are they cheaper because the Canadian govt subsidizes them?  If the US starts reimporting huge amounts don’t you think Canada would put an end to this?

69928[/snapback]

Actually you are wrong. Canada restricts the prices on what the drug companies can charge. Its the American Drug companies that cried foul when they started seeing these seniors from the US going to get Rx in Canada.

Actually you are wrong.  Canada restricts the prices on what the drug companies can charge.  Its the American Drug companies that cried foul when they started seeing these seniors from the US going to get Rx in Canada.

69933[/snapback]

Nope not wrong it was a question... :( . I am pretty sure though now matter how it works that if the US makes it legal to do the prices aren't going to stay as low as they are now.

Actually you are wrong.  Canada restricts the prices on what the drug companies can charge.  Its the American Drug companies that cried foul when they started seeing these seniors from the US going to get Rx in Canada.

69933[/snapback]

This is one issue where the president clearly chose big business (pharmacuticals industry) over what was best for everyone....I haven't heard one valid argument in favor of restricting the sales of Canadian perscription drugs in the US. The presidents' "we have to make sure they are safe" would be laugh out loud funny if it wasn't so pathetic. When I see how much my parents are paying for perscriptions every month, it really does concern me...

Actually one of the uber liberals here at work, also mentioned that the drug companies in Canada do not adhere to our patents on drug and are actually manufactoring generics up there. Again, I don't know if true or not, but she seems to think they are true generics and are just as good as what we make here. She wants the US to allow people to buy these from Canada. Is this what the issue is with these drugs not being safe? The fact that that they don't go through the FDA approval like other generics have to.

Once again we are simplifying the argument because it fits the political spin.

Drugs in America are expensive because our companies do the research and are forced to go through the red tape laden FDA approval process. It is very expensive and arduous. I have seen figures ranging between $100,000,000 and $1.2 BILLION per approval (that factors in the costs of drugs that aren't approved).

Other countries benefit because they are able to use our process to "pencil whip" their own approvals. Couple that with price controls and it should be no surprise that drugs are cheaper in other countries.

Let's keep wondering why American companies move out of the country to places where the government is less intrusive.

The balance is delicate and we are smashing it with a 20 pound sledge. Do some !@#$ing research, ya bunch of mynah birds.

Drugs in America are expensive because our companies do the research and are forced to go through the red tape laden FDA approval process.  It is very expensive and arduous.  I have seen figures ranging between $100,000,000 and $1.2 BILLION per approval (that factors in the costs of drugs that aren't approved).

Other countries benefit because they are able to use our process to "pencil whip" their own approvals.  Couple that with price controls and it should be no surprise that drugs are cheaper in other countries.

Let's keep wondering why American companies move out of the country to places where the government is less intrusive.

The balance is delicate and we are smashing it with a 20 pound sledge.  Do some !@#$ing research, ya bunch of mynah birds.

70004[/snapback]

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: I asked a legit question. Now answer it you brown coat. :(

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  I asked a legit question.  Now answer it you brown coat.   :(

70011[/snapback]

What I have read about that is many of the internet companies selling Canadian drugs have no quality controls and the doctors who sign off on the process don't care if the perscription is legit because they are paid on a percentage of sales.

There was a "news" magazine show about this not too long ago because a couple of people died after getting the wrong drugs.

Money talks, Jarhead.

What I have read about that is many of the internet companies selling Canadian drugs have no quality controls and the doctors who sign off on the process don't care if the perscription is legit because they are paid on a percentage of sales.

There was a "news" magazine show about this not too long ago because a couple of people died after getting the wrong drugs.

Money talks, Jarhead.

70012[/snapback]

Thank you flyboy. So are they safe or not?

Drugs in America are expensive because our companies do the research and are forced to go through the red tape laden FDA approval process.  It is very expensive and arduous.  I have seen figures ranging between $100,000,000 and $1.2 BILLION per approval (that factors in the costs of drugs that aren't approved).

Other countries benefit because they are able to use our process to "pencil whip" their own approvals.  Couple that with price controls and it should be no surprise that drugs are cheaper in other countries.

The balance is delicate and we are smashing it with a 20 pound sledge.  Do some !@#$ing research, ya bunch of mynah birds.

70004[/snapback]

You're close. FDA approval is not the primary reason why the drugs are more expensive here. A bigger reason is because most countries regulate drug prices, by either price caps or lower patent protection, the drug companies make their returns in the US (you're welcome again, rest of the world)

Before a wise guy chimes in to say, "Implement price controls here as well," you will effectively kill off the development of new drugs. It costs a lot of $$$ to create new drugs, as we're light years away from growing mold in a petrie dish. The drug researchers need to be paid - a lot of Zima & Judy Garland albums for T-Bone, and lots of squirrel traps & chainsaws for NG.

Another problem for the costs is how the industry markets new drugs. Many people don't need a new drug, and can get by with a generic.

You're close.  FDA approval is not the primary reason why the drugs are more expensive here.  A bigger reason is because most countries regulate drug prices, by either price caps or lower patent protection, the drug companies make their returns in the US  (you're welcome again, rest of the world)

Before a wise guy chimes in to say, "Implement price controls here as well," you will effectively kill off the development of new drugs.  It costs a lot of $$$ to create new drugs, as we're light years away from growing mold in a petrie dish.  The drug researchers need to be paid - a lot of Zima & Judy Garland albums for T-Bone, and lots of squirrel traps & chainsaws for NG.

Another problem for the costs is how the industry markets new drugs.  Many people don't need a new drug, and can get by with a generic.

70331[/snapback]

I was saving that up for responses, to be honest. I was going to compare it to the "deregulation" of the California energy grid. Very effective.

Actually one of the uber liberals here at work, also mentioned that the drug companies in Canada do not adhere to our patents on drug and are actually manufactoring generics up there.  Again, I don't know if true or not, but she seems to think they are true generics and are just as good as what we make here.  She wants the US to allow people to buy these from Canada.  Is this what the issue is with these drugs not being safe?  The fact that that they don't go through the FDA approval like other generics have to.

69950[/snapback]

I know you were quoting someone else, but your friend is wrong on the Canadian patents thing. Canada doesn't have to pay a whit of attention to US patents, but they do have their own patent system similar to ours, and you can bet any decent drug that is patented here is patented in Canada.

the drug companies should change their pricing and switch so that everyone pays the same. If the canadians don't want to pay fair market price for their pills, they don't have to buy them. Unfortunately it's easier said than done and you and I pay the price for it.

the drug companies should change their pricing and switch so that everyone pays the same.  If the canadians don't want to pay fair market price for their pills, they don't have to buy them. Unfortunately it's easier said than done and you and I pay the price for it.

70624[/snapback]

We're also paying an inordinate amount for advertising and development of --count'em -- three to four erectile dysfunction drugs.

Does the world not have a worse problem than an old man with a waning johnson?

Playing Devils Advocate here...What about research costs involved in creating a drug. It usually takes 10-20 years before a drug is created and FDA approved. It's a huge investment for a drug company. Now I have no idea if govt. funding, research grants, donations factor in but if people ignored my patent I'd be pissed.