The Mighty Orange are looking awesome tonight....

The Poojer

So....does Donte Greene come back next year???

Heck...I am interested to see if Paul Harris and Arinze Onuaku come back as well.

I think they are all potential first round picks...the question is if they all want to be first round picks or top 10 picks.

yeah yeah yeah, i must have jinxed them. UMASS exploited the lack of depth of the Orange and used the 2-3 to thier advantage by nailing wide open 3's, they were lights out in the 2nd half. I am not one to complain about officiating, but the Cuse seemed to be playing against 8, not 5....but that is not what cost them the game. I believe everyone will be back next year, they all arent gonna be happy with the playing time, but no one is ready for the big leap yet....oh well....seasons over :)

Heck...I am interested to see if Paul Harris and Arinze Onuaku come back as well.

I think they are all potential first round picks...the question is if they all want to be first round picks or top 10 picks.

Forget 1st round, Harris would be lucky to get drafted if he came out this year. He'll be a 4-year player at Cuse. Flynn is a future NBA point guard...Maybe not the next Chris Paul, but he could easily be a Jameer Nelson-type solid PG on a playoff team.

If Greene comes back, they will be a legit contender next year.

Forget 1st round, Harris would be lucky to get drafted if he came out this year. He'll be a 4-year player at Cuse. Flynn is a future NBA point guard...Maybe not the next Chris Paul, but he could easily be a Jameer Nelson-type solid PG on a playoff team.

If Greene comes back, they will be a legit contender next year.

For the NIT title? :P

My daughter goes to UMass. Go Miniutemen! That said, college basketball tournaments are a joke. When mediocre teams like Syracuse gets selected and solid teams from mid-major conferences get overlooked, who can take any of this seriously? UMass should have went to the NCAA's. Lets end the charade and just send every team from a power conference to the NCAA tourney every year, regardless of record. Everyone else can hold a legitimate tournament while the NCAA has their annual circle jerk. And don't get me started on the BCS.

PTR

My daughter goes to UMass. Go Miniutemen! That said, college basketball tournaments are a joke. When mediocre teams like Syracuse gets selected and solid teams from mid-major conferences get overlooked, who can take any of this seriously? UMass should have went to the NCAA's. Lets end the charade and just send every team from a power conference to the NCAA tourney every year, regardless of record. Everyone else can hold a legitimate tournament while the NCAA has their annual circle jerk. And don't get me started on the BCS.

PTR

I don't understand this...Syracuse was not granted an at-large bid for the NCAAs this year (or last year for that matter). Yes, they are a mediocre squad, but UMass really isn't much better.

Mid-majors get their chance - look at the WCC with 2 at-large bids (both of whom lost in the first round, BTW). The A-10 got 3 bids - only Xavier was left standing after round 1. George Mason 2 years ago and Butler a few years back were nice stories, but they're the exception to the rule.

PTR

Huh? The NCAA allowing any more than 64 (I guess 65) teams would be a joke...UMASS in the tourney??? Are you nuts? Who did they prove they could beat this year? Their big win was against BC, a 14-17 team who finished last in the ACC. They beat Cuse twice, but Cuse wasn't an NCAA-caliber team. Of the tourney teams on their schedule, they lost to ALL of them: St. Joe's (twice), Vanderbilt, Temple, and Xavier. The first three all lost in the 1st round of the NCAA's. Once a team like UMass loses 10 games, their argument is finished and they are at the mercy of the committee. The director of the selection committee readily admitted that a major criteria for the at-large selections was "Who can they beat?" UMass didn't prove they could be any NCAA-quality teams in their 30-game regular season.

The NCAA regular season is already compromised by the conference tournaments. But hey, if you get hot, you get hot. Georgia won 4 SEC games all year, and then won 4 in 3 days to win the SEC tourney. They earned their way in. UMass, losing to Charlotte in the A-10 tourney, didn't earn their way in...Especially since St. Joe's got an at-large bid, and UMass couldn't beat them either time they played.

Allowing 6-23 teams into the tournament would be the joke.

He should as his stock needs improving. He need to work on his inside game and bulk up a tad.

Ugh. Harris has the basketball I.Q. of my cat. Dude just makes horrible decisions at crunch time and has cost his team at least 3 wins because of it.

Onuaku = NBA body...but needs to finish when he's not dunking. Christ, he must have missed 5 layups last night.

Greene is the only lock for the first round. Arinze and Paul have some work to do.

He should as his stock needs improving. He need to work on his inside game and bulk up a tad.

Ugh. Harris has the basketball I.Q. of my cat. Dude just makes horrible decisions at crunch time and has cost his team at least 3 wins because of it.

Onuaku = NBA body...but needs to finish when he's not dunking. Christ, he must have missed 5 layups last night.

Greene is the only lock for the first round. Arinze and Paul have some work to do.

Agree with everything you say. I'd add that Greene is only a lock for the first round for a team that doesn't need him right away and can afford to wait a year or two to have him develop, Like you say he needs to come back to work on his inside game. He does that and he could vastly improve his draft position.

And I'm beginning to wonder if Harris would make it in the NBA. He's got some physical talent but when going against better players his skills are neutralized and he looks very, very average. And he has the basketball I.Q. of your cat. Just when you think the guy is turning the corner and is about to dominate, he instead falls to pieces. Very frustrating player.

Onuaku= too raw. Definitely needs another year.

PTR

Please don't. You shouldn't have gotten started on basketball.

Huh? The NCAA allowing any more than 64 (I guess 65) teams would be a joke...UMASS in the tourney??? Are you nuts? Who did they prove they could beat this year? Their big win was against BC, a 14-17 team who finished last in the ACC. They beat Cuse twice, but Cuse wasn't an NCAA-caliber team. Of the tourney teams on their schedule, they lost to ALL of them: St. Joe's (twice), Vanderbilt, Temple, and Xavier. The first three all lost in the 1st round of the NCAA's. Once a team like UMass loses 10 games, their argument is finished and they are at the mercy of the committee. The director of the selection committee readily admitted that a major criteria for the at-large selections was "Who can they beat?" UMass didn't prove they could be any NCAA-quality teams in their 30-game regular season.

The NCAA regular season is already compromised by the conference tournaments. But hey, if you get hot, you get hot. Georgia won 4 SEC games all year, and then won 4 in 3 days to win the SEC tourney. They earned their way in. UMass, losing to Charlotte in the A-10 tourney, didn't earn their way in...Especially since St. Joe's got an at-large bid, and UMass couldn't beat them either time they played.

Allowing 6-23 teams into the tournament would be the joke.

Great post. Plus UMass couldn't even get through the A-10 tournament, and lost to Charlotte.

• 2 weeks later...
he has alot of talent, but this team with the incoming class will be better without him....

I'm not certain they will be better off without him but He definitely would be better off with another year under his belt. His low post game, defense, shot selection and rebounding could all use some work.

Unless he is willing to drastically change his game and play inside more and be more aggressive on the defensive side, I do think they are better off without another (and oh by the way 6-10)shooting guard. If he were to play like he played in the last couple of games where he went inside more and fought the defensive glass, then of course not, this team would be much better with he and Onauku(SP?) down low. But this team has a stable full of guards, and with Devo and Rautins coming back along with the incoming freshman....I would rather lose Donte than Flynn or Harris(despite his rawness)

I'm not certain they will be better off without him but He definitely would be better off with another year under his belt. His low post game, defense, shot selection and rebounding could all use some work.