register a new domain

Dan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone actually paid you for a name?

Never tried selling one...

I'd recommend pairNIC. I use to use GoDaddy and had a few problems.

Not one since I switched to pairNIC.

What problems did you have?

Are you hoping somone will pay you for one? sounds iteresting actually. Has anyone actually paid you for one?

most of them are part of a theme of my websites that i run (ie, defensively owned).

I have sold probably 10 names over the years, but for the most part i'm buying more than I'm selling since good names are going up in value quickly.

There is a whole industry around buying and selling names, pretty interesting actually.

What problems did you have?

GoDaddy changed documentation requirements after I registered my first domain requiring printed, notarized information.

I told them it was not a requirement stated on registration forms and I was not supplying it and they would not allow me access to account to make changes until I provided it so I just went to another company at renewal time (pairNIC) when domain expired and reregistered with them.

GoDaddy seems set up for people who have a bunch of domains. Since I was registering them one or two at a time for different people with me as technical contact it became difficult dealing with them.

OK. upon the gmac's advice of "leave TBD and go register now" I did just that. Although, I must admit it was more difficult than I anticipated.... leaving TBD, that is. But , Idid it. I went to GoDaddy and got the domain name.

Now I have to wait some undetermined amount of time before I can setup up the website. I got a virtual server, as well. So, we'll see how it goes.

I think they are more respectful of my intelligence than go-daddy

funny, and true.

Dan, if you need any help setting up your site let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. There are some very easy to use tools out there to help out.

funny, and true.

Dan, if you need any help setting up your site let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. There are some very easy to use tools out there to help out.

Thanks. I've got the site made... well some of it. Making the website is no problem. I've been doing that for a while. I just needed place to host and the domain of course. Well, I went with GoDaddy and so far, I'm not impressed. It was easy enough to register the domain - cheap too, $2.85 fo the first year. But, trying to get the website up is confusing as hell. It's still not up. It's not in any way intuitive. I thought I had to wait for about 5 hours. OK, but I tried again this morning and now it says it can be 24-48hrs. That is... if I'm doing what I think I'm doing.

most of them are part of a theme of my websites that i run (ie, defensively owned).

I have sold probably 10 names over the years, but for the most part i'm buying more than I'm selling since good names are going up in value quickly.

There is a whole industry around buying and selling names, pretty interesting actually.

It sounds interesting but paying $8 a month for 500 sounds expensive.

Maybe I'm not looking at this in the right light.....

I want to learn....I WANT TO LEARN!

they don't allow you to FTP, or is it the nameservers that are slow?

I'm assuming its the nameservers being slow... although I confess I don't completely know what that means. But, it says I can FTP stuff, but it won't let me connect. So, I tried to do one of their preset/template pages. That's when it says status - pending setup. So, I'm guessing it jsut takes a day or so to get the website portion going??

It's funny though. I set up an email address. - that was up and able to receive email easily. I got a virtual server - that was up and running in a few hours. But, when I manage the domains and try to launch the website, it says pending setup.

But then, it had one way to build a website I did that. I guess that's the starter page? But I see no way to customize that.

But, then they have this "WebSite Tonight" thing that allows you to manage your website. That's where it says pending setup. But, they also says it's 5 pages free. Dang sure hope that doesn't mean the website can only be 5 individual pages.

Like I said... confusing to me.

It sounds interesting but paying $8 a month for 500 sounds expensive.

Maybe I'm not looking at this in the right light.....

I want to learn....I WANT TO LEARN!

If you are willing to learn young grasshopper, I am willing to teach. (seriously).

I pay $8 per year for my names, so my renewals are around $4,000.

I "park" the names that don't have websites and earn almost enough to pay for the renewals. (parking is those annoying one page sites full of advertising links).

Building out my websites themselves is where I make most of my money, though selling the actual names can work out well too. Pretty much all of the good names are taken so you'll either need to find an undiscovered niche or buy names from someone and resell or develop.

here is a chart of the sales from last week alone:

http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

If you are willing to learn young grasshopper, I am willing to teach. (seriously).

I pay $8 per year for my names, so my renewals are around $4,000.

I "park" the names that don't have websites and earn almost enough to pay for the renewals. (parking is those annoying one page sites full of advertising links).

Building out my websites themselves is where I make most of my money, though selling the actual names can work out well too. Pretty much all of the good names are taken so you'll either need to find an undiscovered niche or buy names from someone and resell or develop.

here is a chart of the sales from last week alone:

http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

Who knew PARKING had another meaning.....I'll check this out...I find this very interesting.

Is the idea that you'll hit on one and make serious cash? Or that parking actually makes a couple $$ with each site?

You can PM me if you want because I do want to learn.....

I have a few names that make a few bucks per day parking which adds up, but more of them are $0-$30 per year. There is a lot of competition for these names since they are effectively an annuity, so you probably won't be able to find any that aren't registered unless you can catch a fad or niche ahead of the curve (ie, mp3, hdtv etc)

I'd recommend building a site about a hobby or something you really enjoy, and slowly building it up. I did that and it has worked out pretty well.