Sirius/XM merger gets DoJ approval

The Justice Department has approved SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO's $5 billion buyout of rival XM SATELLITE RADIO. The merger was approved despite opposition from consumer groups and an intense lobbying campaign by the land-based radio industry. Regulators said the merger is not likely to substantially hurt competition or consumers. The FCC has yet to approve the merger, although Chairman KEVIN MARTIN indicated last week it was close to happening.

They just okayed satellite radio to essentially become a monopoly. But don't worry about competition, consumers. <_< I can't wait to see what happens to my bill. I'm sure the basic price will drop a few pennies, but everything worth listening to, like NFL or NHL sports, etc, will probably cost you up the wazoo.

PTR

The Justice Department has approved SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO's $5 billion buyout of rival XM SATELLITE RADIO. The merger was approved despite opposition from consumer groups and an intense lobbying campaign by the land-based radio industry. Regulators said the merger is not likely to substantially hurt competition or consumers. The FCC has yet to approve the merger, although Chairman KEVIN MARTIN indicated last week it was close to happening.

They just okayed satellite radio to essentially become a monopoly. But don't worry about competition, consumers. <_< I can't wait to see what happens to my bill. I'm sure the basic price will drop a few pennies, but everything worth listening to, like NFL or NHL sports, etc, will probably cost you up the wazoo.

PTR

The # of mergers stopped by the DoJ are rarer than hen's teeth. I believe the Clinton Adm. holds the record for most mergers allowed.

If the DoJ gives companies trouble, they just go to Congress and spred some cash to remove any irritant.

you have got to be $hitting me

only an hour or so behind the times....and 3 threads <_<

PTR

They just okayed satellite radio to essentially become a monopoly. But don't worry about competition, consumers. :) I can't wait to see what happens to my bill. I'm sure the basic price will drop a few pennies, but everything worth listening to, like NFL or NHL sports, etc, will probably cost you up the wazoo.

PTR

A monopoly in a small field where the only two companies in it are bleeding money? If a major network decides to compete in the field of satellite radio, the new XM/Sirius surely won't be able to keep them out.

Care to list the competition to satellite? "Free" radio, MP3 players, CD players...all of which dwarf the sat radio industry.

This was a no brainer that took embarrassingly long to decide.

what it probably means is more of an ala carte option, get nfl with your basic sub, pay extra to add on mlb....as long as my current sirius sub keeps nfl/SU & Howard, i will be happy

Will this mean that one will not have to choose btw baseball and football broadcasts?