Justice Department approves merger between

Beerball

Agreed with Wacka. I can't tell the difference. You'd have to have one helluva a car stero and one helluva a quiet car to tell the difference.

Best news for XM: Stern, NFL, and a lesser known but my second favorite talk show after Howard: Whatever with Alexis Stewart (Martha's daughter) and Jennifer Hutt. It's what Howard Stern might have been 20 years ago if he was a woman. Pretty dirty but not as dirty. Brutally honest and open hosts. And of course, without the 5 star guests with the exception of an occasional call from Martha, who generally avoids the seedier discussions.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NPR and PBS. Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

Except for all the commercials, NPR is pretty good. No decent music or humor (Car Talk is the height). PBS has some decent shows but also a lot of dreck.

NPR has two stations on Sirius.

Except for all the commercials, NPR is pretty good. No decent music or humor (Car Talk is the height). PBS has some decent shows but also a lot of dreck.

NPR has two stations on Sirius.

I am not sure what you are referring to with the commercials. I hear them plugging other NPR shows but I don't hear any commercials. Heck commercials are what drives me to watch NPR and PBS. Car Talk is awesome! I get the feeling if those brothers only had 10 listeners and did not get paid that they would still love their job. They truly enjoy each others company and what they do, not to mention they are MIT graduates and brilliant

I am not sure what you are referring to with the commercials. I hear them plugging other NPR shows but I don't hear any commercials. Heck commercials are what drives me to watch NPR and PBS. Car Talk is awesome! I get the feeling if those brothers only had 10 listeners and did not get paid that they would still love their job. They truly enjoy each others company and what they do, not to mention they are MIT graduates and brilliant

Car Talk is good. The calls are pre-scripted days in advance which is why the guys have a few ready one-liners but that's OK. Lots of comedy is pre-scripted. Car Talk proves the point of NPR's humor problem too. IT's 1 hour a week.

Best NPR shows are Morning Edition and Fresh Air. The talk shows are pretty horrid.

You don't hear the commercials? Wow, you must be deaf. Just because the companies are "sponsors" and don't get to run their own ads doesn't mean they're not commercials. I would love a minute-count on cross-sponsorship and commercials on NPR. Probably less than the "free" radio talk show but more than a "free" music station.

Car Talk is good. The calls are pre-scripted days in advance which is why the guys have a few ready one-liners but that's OK. Lots of comedy is pre-scripted. Car Talk proves the point of NPR's humor problem too. IT's 1 hour a week.

Best NPR shows are Morning Edition and Fresh Air. The talk shows are pretty horrid.

You don't hear the commercials? Wow, you must be deaf. Just because the companies are "sponsors" and don't get to run their own ads doesn't mean they're not commercials. I would love a minute-count on cross-sponsorship and commercials on NPR. Probably less than the "free" radio talk show but more than a "free" music station.

I love it all on NPR. Science Fridays rocks! All Things Considered is nice. Talk of the Nation. It's all good in my book.

As far as commercials- you do hear who the sponsors are but you are not bombarded by marketers and advertisers. I feel the same about marketing as the late, great genius Bill Hicks-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo :) Right on Bill!