Justice Department approves merger between

Beerball

not to pick nits here dean-o, but if you own an ipod, cant you put FLAC or other lossless audio files onto it? just like guns don't kill people, ipods are only as good as their owners

Like the iPod, Satellite Radio is another blow to quality sound.

As to the topic, these kinds of mergers rarely help the consumer, in the long run. That's not their purpose.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my audible groan. For the 99.9% of us who don't need to listen to music in acoustically engineered and insulated rooms, the sound quality coming out of iPods and satellite radio is just fine, thank-you-very-much.

There are effects that go far beyond the obvious. The loss of dynamic range will likely have an impact on what gets produced, funded, promoted, etc..in the future. There is a real impact on what, and how, music gets produced.

not to pick nits here dean-o, but if you own an ipod, cant you put FLAC or other lossless audio files onto it? just like guns don't kill people, ipods are only as good as their owners

That's not the issue, at hand.

Here's a decent overview of some of the issues:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/177..._fidelity/print

yeah i will wait for the readers digest version...

they lost me at this

.....who works with rock bands like Hawthorne Heights and Paramore....
<_<

to my untrained ears, my music sounds pretty darned good to me

That's not the issue, at hand.

Here's a decent overview of some of the issues:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/177..._fidelity/print

The iPod doesn't support FLAC.

Other mp3 players do though. :)

I agree with the people saying that they still have competition. Regular radio, HD Radio, mp3s, etc. are all competitors.

Yes, in the same way that pork is a competitor to beef. If one company controlled all the beef in the country, they could say, "We're not a monopoly. There is other food to eat, out there." Of course, if you wanted beef, you would have to buy it from them. This, most certainly, makes them a monopoly in Satellite Radio.

Yes, in the same way that pork is a competitor to beef. If one company controlled all the beef in the country, they could say, "We're not a monopoly. There is other food to eat, out there." Of course, if you wanted beef, you would have to buy it from them. This, most certainly, makes them a monopoly in Satellite Radio.

I disagree with your analogy, especially on the terrestrial radio vs satellite radio front. They both offer music, sports, talk radio, etc. Yes, there are some differences (where you can receive signal, programming, cost, etc), but they serve the same function.

On the other hand, its not easy to substitute beef for pork and still get the desired effect...

I disagree with your analogy, especially on the terrestrial radio vs satellite radio front. They both offer music, sports, talk radio, etc. Yes, there are some differences (where you can receive signal, programming, cost, etc), but they serve the same function.

On the other hand, its not easy to substitute beef for pork and still get the desired effect...

Well, it surely is, if the desired effect is sustenance (food's main purpose, according to some).

competition is a good thing for the consumer. Are there any other competitors? If it's XM and Sirius that dominate market share, I am not so sure it is a good thing for consumers. Monopolies are no good

A monopoly in a small field where the only two companies in it are bleeding money? If a major network decides to compete in the field of satellite radio, the new XM/Sirius surely won't be able to keep them out.

Care to list the competition to satellite? "Free" radio, MP3 players, CD players...all of which dwarf the sat radio industry.

This was a no brainer that took embarrassingly long to decide.

A monopoly in a small field where the only two companies in it are bleeding money? If a major network decides to compete in the field of satellite radio, the new XM/Sirius surely won't be able to keep them out.

Care to list the competition to satellite? "Free" radio, MP3 players, CD players...all of which dwarf the sat radio industry.

This was a no brainer that took embarrassingly long to decide.

I see your and Poojer's point with terrestrial radio. But there will never be another satellite launched for sat radio unless XM/Sirius satellite's orbit decayed. Satellite's are cost prohibitive to put up. I am not sure what the balance sheet looks like. But my guess is they both are cash poor. I predict it will be like the railroads and transpacific cables. The ones that built the network will go under. The second player in makes all the money.....and yes, have a monopoly on satellite radio

I see your and Poojer's point with terrestrial radio. But there will never be another satellite launched for sat radio unless XM/Sirius satellite's orbit decayed. Satellite's are cost prohibitive to put up. I am not sure what the balance sheet looks like. But my guess is they both are cash poor. I predict it will be like the railroads and transpacific cables. The ones that built the network will go under. The second player in makes all the money.....and yes, have a monopoly on satellite radio

These companies are small-fries. If they start making money, there are plenty of people who can launch a satellite and start a competitor, most notably, the current media outlets. XM/Sirius aren't pimples on the butt of a Disney or Time-Warner. Have no fear: this monopoly lasts as long as it's not making money. If it starts to turn a corner on $$, competition will come.

I don't look at this as a monopoly as much as it's the first two companies to do this are getting together because their books are so lousy.

These companies are small-fries. If they start making money, there are plenty of people who can launch a satellite and start a competitor, most notably, the current media outlets. XM/Sirius aren't pimples on the butt of a Disney or Time-Warner. Have no fear: this monopoly lasts as long as its not making money. If it starts to turn a corner on $$, competition will come.

I don't look at this as a monopoly as much as its the first two companies to do this are getting together because their books are so lousy.

Expect the new company to be acquired by one of the media giants.

Expect the new company to be acquired by one of the media giants.

So do you complain that cable TV is a monopoly in your market? You can't get programming from any other cable TV companies, only the one that provides service to your area.

Yeah, you COULD use off the air antennas... Or Dish... Or DirecTV. But that'd be like eating pork instead of beer, or something like that.

So do you complain that cable TV is a monopoly in your market? You can't get programming from any other cable TV companies, only the one that provides service to your area.

Yeah, you COULD use off the air antennas... Or Dish... Or DirecTV. But that'd be like eating pork instead of beer, or something like that.

YES! Where have you been?

There is more than one cable company nationally. I would prefer they compete in each market, though.

It's a good thing! This should bring a la carte prgramming so that I can now get NFL, NHL and MLB broadcasts along with Stern. The music is so compressed on satellite that I rarely listen to those stations.

If you are an old fogy like me, you can't tell the difference.