Justice Department approves merger between

Beerball

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

competition is a good thing for the consumer. Are there any other competitors? If it's XM and Sirius that dominate market share, I am not so sure it is a good thing for consumers. Monopolies are no good

as long as my current subscription allows me nfl, syracuse football and basketball and Howard Stern. I will accept other subscription tiers to get MLB for example, but I want what i have already for the same rate

Sirius & XM Satellite Radio. Are there other governmental hurdles standing in the way?

Link is to CNN main page, it's on the banner, no further info right now.

Merger linky

Does this make you subscribers happy or is this a bad thing?

of course there are competitors, terrestrial radio is a competitor....you do not need satellite to listen to radio

competition is a good thing for the consumer. Are there any other competitors? If it's XM and Sirius that dominate market share, I am not so sure it is a good thing for consumers. Monopolies are no good

Does this make you subscribers happy or is this a bad thing?

Makes me very very <_<<_<<_<:blink: ,

But thats only cause I have a proposal in there(XM) for my software. No merger, they buy. Merger no buy!!!!!!!

On a subscirption note, i am worried bout my price going up and my euipment being obsolete at some point. But eh, have the radio for 5 years so can't complain too much

of course there are competitors, terrestrial radio is a competitor....you do not need satellite to listen to radio

As are iPods, music "hard drives" in cars, etc. The argument that the merger of XM and Sirius squelches competition was one raised solely by radio broadcasters because they know their product is inferior and they'll have to make changes to compete.

Great news.

It's a good thing! This should bring a la carte prgramming so that I can now get NFL, NHL and MLB broadcasts along with Stern. The music is so compressed on satellite that I rarely listen to those stations.

Like the iPod, Satellite Radio is another blow to quality sound.

As to the topic, these kinds of mergers rarely help the consumer, in the long run. That's not their purpose.

As are iPods, music "hard drives" in cars, etc. The argument that the merger of XM and Sirius squelches competition was one raised solely by radio broadcasters because they know their product is inferior and they'll have to make changes to compete.

Great news.

Exactly.

I read, back when this first thing started, that XM and Sirius spend a lot of money competing against each other and that if they merged, rates would stay the same and you'd get more channels. We'll see if that really happens though.

My wife has XM, we pay about $6.50/month, and although she doesn't use it all the time, it's still worth it.

Like the iPod, Satellite Radio is another blow to quality sound.

As to the topic, these kinds of mergers rarely help the consumer, in the long run. That's not their purpose.

Forgive my audible groan. For the 99.9% of us who don't need to listen to music in acoustically engineered and insulated rooms, the sound quality coming out of iPods and satellite radio is just fine, thank-you-very-much.

Great news.

What eball said.

It actually was pretty humorous that it was traditional radio bitching and moaning about the merger and, at the same time, claiming that the market for antitrust purposes did not include them.

This is great news.

as long as my current subscription allows me nfl, syracuse football and basketball and Howard Stern. I will accept other subscription tiers to get MLB for example, but I want what i have already for the same rate

If they don't raise prices, how are they going to pay all the legal bills from the merger? <_<

Great news.

If all the cell phone carriers merged into one company, I suppose that would be OK, too? After all, you could use land lines, VOIP or walkie talkies to communicate. In the case of Satellite Radio, the technology is part-and-parcel to the product itself.