I'm Confused

I've read many threads on this page but there is one thing that troubles me.

Some threads say unequivocally the Bills will draft a WR at #11, while strangely, others say the Bills will not draft a WR at #11.

With so many talented prognosticators how can they be wrong? So I ask, once and for all, will they or won't they? Thanks for clearing this up.

-- Confused

Some threads say unequivocally the Bills will draft a WR at #11, while strangely, others say the Bills will not draft a WR at #11.

With so many talented prognosticators how can they be wrong? So I ask, once and for all, will they or won't they? Thanks for clearing this up.

-- Confused

The latest word out there is a MAYBE.

I hope I could help clear up your confusion.

Steve

It takes a wise man to sit on the fence at draft time! BU1(SCW) is exactly right, and EVERY draft I've ever watched is a huge maybe to me.... we have a winner!! Jim Mora, back when he was coaching the Saints, once told the press, "you think you know, but you just don't know" and THAT statement applies to the NFL Draft in sooo many ways!!

really depends on what happens before we pick and what the Bills plan of attack is...

If a top pick falls to us at #11 the Bills might pull the trigger on a talented player over need. OR they could entertain trade down offers...

I really don't believe the Bills will select a WR at #11 if they stay there... they will trade down and pick up extra picks then select a WR a little later IMHO

really depends on what happens before we pick and what the Bills plan of attack is...

If a top pick falls to us at #11 the Bills might pull the trigger on a talented player over need. OR they could entertain trade down offers...

I really don't believe the Bills will select a WR at #11 if they stay there... they will trade down and pick up extra picks then select a WR a little later IMHO

Or not . . .

Dear Confused,

They will NOT.

-- Dazed

-- Confused

-- Confused

There are just simply too many variables and moving parts to the final draft decision (when they send a card to the podium) for anyone to make a stone cold certain prediction (which is why this is fun). Every single selection in the draft simply change the variables for all future selections. Not only is a particular move absolutely the right thing to do given how the previous picks lay out, but then this same choice can suddenly become the wrong thing to do when the surprise that always occurs (the Bills take a safety at #8, Brady Quinn drops to the end of the round, the Bills pick Mcgahee, Ditka trades his entire draft for Wicky Williams) occurs.

The broad overlay is what do we want to do. The two general streams are a draft driven by filling needs or the approach of taking the best player available. Usually it is not choosing one path or the other (despite our internet ramblings trying to say we must choose one way or the other) but instead choosing a balance between the two.

The last two years have seen us go with need the first two picks and then use our #3 to go for the best player available.

This year we definitely need a WR, but actually the slot we need is a #2 WR so a pick at 11 of a WR is not unreasonable for a starter, but then again this draft in terms of player quality seems like the best WRs are worth a 20+ pick at most but this player should be good enough to fill the #2 role.

Hence the thought of trading down meeting our needs rather well.

Half of the draft gurus say there's not a receiver in this draft worthy of a first round selection. The other half says there is. The fact that half of them say there's not first rd. talent says to me that the Bills won't waste the #11 on a WR. There simply is no Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, or even Lee Evans in the first round this year. And, remember, Marvin Harrison and Eric Moulds were 1st rd. selections beyond the 20th pick in the draft theyear of theirdrafting, and Randy Moss went around the middle of the first rd. when he was drafted. Even Lee Evans selected at 12, I believe, has had only one out of four seasons that could be considered good. No wr coming out this year can even carry any of the above mentioned wrs chin strap.

-- Confused

If they trade down, yes.

If they don't trade down, maybe...

many say that a WR will be taken at #11 because at that point the bills will be able to select the best WR in this years draft class (because none will be selected higher than 11). Also, the bills biggest need this offseason is a starting WR, which just happens to be the one position not taken care of in FA.

I do not see the bills signing a WR in the 2nd round capable of staring his rookie year.

The bills need TE, DE, and CBs, but those needs are not nearly as desperate as the WR position.

IMO, the bills will try to trade down a few spots and still pick up a starting WR. If they cant trade down I expect them to just pick the best WR available. And even that can be debated forever since noone can decide who the best WR prospect in this year.

The bills, like many NFL teams, have needs at more than one position, which they are hoping to fill in the draft. Its just unfortunate that the bills are in the position (again) where they have to take the best player available at a position no matter where he is slotted to go.

The same people that say we won't draft a WR are the ones that said we wouldnt get a RB in the first last year. Apparently, both positions can be filled in later rounds with no drop off in quality.

That would be incorrect, sir. That is to say, I thought we WOULD draft a RB last year in the 1st and we WILL NOT draft a WR in the 1st this year. Now move along. Go on. Git! :)

The same people that say we won't draft a WR are the ones that said we wouldnt get a RB in the first last year. Apparently, both positions can be filled in later rounds with no drop off in quality.

Great point! There were an awful lot of people here stating that Pittman, Irons and Bookman would be the answer to replace McGahee and that Lynch wasn't worthy of a first round pick. How sound would that philosophy have been in hindsight? It's a ridiculous notion now. It's just like the WR discussion we are now having here. I was one of the few that was very pro drafting of Lynch in the 1st round, going so far as to say he was the perfect fit for the Buffalo Bills. It is with the same fervor that I feel the Bills must draft either Sweed or Kelly, that either one would be a perfect fit here, and that there won't be another capable WR to fill the #2 position after the first round. Just like it was with the RB situation in the 2007 draft.