Happy Birthday to buftex !

stuckincincy

Thanks guys! It has been a great week...got to see the Boston Celtics play live (and destroy the Rockets!!!), and meet two of my chidhood music gods (Mick Jones from the Clash!, and Clem Burke). On top of that, the Sabres had a rousing good comeback last night...good times...I feel like a kid again...I am sure I will be nutted by reality sometime, but thanks for all the well wishes...I don't know any of you, but I feel connected to everyone here!

Thanks guys! It has been a great week...got to see the Boston Celtics play live (and destroy the Rockets!!!), and meet two of my chidhood music gods (Mick Jones from the Clash!, and Clem Burke). On top of that, the Sabres had a rousing good comeback last night...good times...I feel like a kid again...I am sure I will be nutted by reality sometime, but thanks for all the well wishes...I don't know any of you, but I feel connected to everyone here!

Sweet man! In case you didn't get my PM, Happy Birthday!

HBD! What was Clem Burke doing at SXSW? Was he sitting in for someone or just taking in shows?

HBD! What was Clem Burke doing at SXSW? Was he sitting in for someone or just taking in shows?

Acutally, a little of both.

I went to see Dale Watson (local hardcore honky-tonker here in Austin, awesoem, but I bet you know that!) at a real old country dance hall call the Broken Spoke. As we were watching Dale, I saw a guy who looked an awfully lot like Clem, walk in with a group of people, and sat way across the bar. I said to my girlfriend, "that looks like Clem Burke, but it can't be". I figured it was just some poser (Austin is full of them!). About a half hour later, Dale Watson looks over at the guys table and says "Clem, why don't you get up here and play a few with us"...sure as sh--, it was Clem Burke. He went up and played some simple honky tonk stuff with the Lonestars, "That's the Way Love Goes" and "You're Times Coming"...

After he went back to his table, I was resisting the urge to go over and say hello, but my girlfriend kept badgering me to. She knows that Clem has always been my favorite rock-n-roll drummer. We went over, and talked to him for about 15 or 20 minutes, got my picture taken with him. I told him about this awful band I was in, during high school, Union City, (a name picked by me, and inspired by a Blondie song) from "Eat to the Beat". When I played drums, I wanted to play just like Clem, but I sucked. I told him "Eat to the Beat" was my bible...he said, "yeah, I wished we would have just made more records like that one..." Then, he told me he was going to be doing another Blondie tour, hopefully, in the summer and fall, but didn't think there were any Texas dates. Really nice guy, and super humble.

As it turned out, he was in town for SXSW the previous week, as one of the panel speakers. You have to have a platinum badge to get into these, which I didn't have. He said he also played a showcase with the Magic Christians...also has a lot of friends in Ausitn. He was recording an album with Kathy Valentine (former Go-Go, current Austinite)

Sorry, I know, too much info...I was really thrilled to meet him though...couldn't ask for a better birthday, especially at my age! I don't get that excited about that many things anymore...

Acutally, a little of both.

I went to see Dale Watson (local hardcore honky-tonker here in Austin, awesoem, but I bet you know that!) at a real old country dance hall call the Broken Spoke. As we were watching Dale, I saw a guy who looked an awfully lot like Clem, walk in with a group of people, and sat way across the bar. I said to my girlfriend, "that looks like Clem Burke, but it can't be". I figured it was just some poser (Austin is full of them!). About a half hour later, Dale Watson looks over at the guys table and says "Clem, why don't you get up here and play a few with us"...sure as sh--, it was Clem Burke. He went up and played some simple honky tonk stuff with the Lonestars, "That's the Way Love Goes" and "You're Times Coming"...

After he went back to his table, I was resisting the urge to go over and say hello, but my girlfriend kept badgering me to. She knows that Clem has always been my favorite rock-n-roll drummer. We went over, and talked to him for about 15 or 20 minutes, got my picture taken with him. I told him about this awful band I was in, during high school, Union City, (a name picked by me, and inspired by a Blondie song) from "Eat to the Beat". When I played drums, I wanted to play just like Clem, but I sucked. I told him "Eat to the Beat" was my bible...he said, "yeah, I wished we would have just made more records like that one..." Then, he told me he was going to be doing another Blondie tour, hopefully, in the summer and fall, but didn't think there were any Texas dates. Really nice guy, and super humble.

As it turned out, he was in town for SXSW the previous week, as one of the panel speakers. You have to have a platinum badge to get into these, which I didn't have. He said he also played a showcase with the Magic Christians...also has a lot of friends in Ausitn. He was recording an album with Kathy Valentine (former Go-Go, current Austinite)

Sorry, I know, too much info...I was really thrilled to meet him though...couldn't ask for a better birthday, especially at my age! I don't get that excited about that many things anymore...

Wow, man! That is a great story. You are not alone in thinking Burke was/is the greatest drummer. He's got that great style--banging out 8th notes on his floor tom with that high, straight-up-and down arm delivery. Always has fabulous hair, too. :P Glad to hear he's really cool in person. Christ, the people that dude has played with. I've got my copy of Eat to the Beat framed and hanging on my office wall. What a cool birthday story.