Anyone bike to work?

BuffaloBud

With the last of the snow gone by (knock on wood), I've been thinking about riding a bike to work. My commute by car is 7 miles, one way. Best by bike would be near 12, one way. First time in 20+ yrs of working that I have this opportunity and think I can do it. NOTE: Doing this more for my health than "saving the earth" and all that.

Looking for ideas on equipment, tips, how to from the TBD brethren. I've already done the Google bit.

I biked to work and loved it! Right now I am not working but for the past 7 years I biked 30 miles a day all year round. It is win-win. You get in shape, its great for the environment, you save money on gas, you save wear and tear on your car, you rev your metabolism, you get killer legs, etc- I could go on and on. I would listen to NPR or spanish lessons on my way to work. That is quadruple tasking! There is such great gear that will keep you warm and dry. I have biked when its below zero windchill and I have biked in heavy rain- and I was always warm and always dry. If you have any questions- fire away. I would be happy to help you out

I biked to work and loved it! Right now I am not working but for the past 7 years I biked 30 miles a day all year round. It is win-win. You get in shape, its great for the environment, you save money on gas, you save wear and tear on your car, you rev your metabolism, you get killer legs, etc- I could go on and on. I would listen to NPR or spanish lessons on my way to work. That is quadruple tasking! There is such great gear that will keep you warm and dry. I have biked when its below zero windchill and I have biked in heavy rain- and I was always warm and always dry. If you have any questions- fire away. I would be happy to help you out

Just watch those late night BUIs!! :beer:B-)

With the last of the snow gone by (knock on wood), I've been thinking about riding a bike to work. My commute by car is 7 miles, one way. Best by bike would be near 12, one way. First time in 20+ yrs of working that I have this opportunity and think I can do it. NOTE: Doing this more for my health than "saving the earth" and all that.

Looking for ideas on equipment, tips, how to from the TBD brethren. I've already done the Google bit.

I bought a cannondale cyclocross as my commuter. It's a lot like a racing bike but you can put beefy tires on it for when it's wet or to cut through glass/things that make tires go pop. Plus, I like the ability to use the second set of brake levers when I need to ride "tall."

FWIW, I used to work in an office next to a guy who would bike 15 miles to work every day. His energy was high, he was in great shape, and I can attest without question that no single human being has ever smelled as disgusting as this guy. If you're going to ride a bike 12 miles to work, do your coworkers a favor and figure out a way to shower before you go to your desk.

FWIW, I used to work in an office next to a guy who would bike 15 miles to work every day. His energy was high, he was in great shape, and I can attest without question that no single human being has ever smelled as disgusting as this guy. If you're going to ride a bike 12 miles to work, do your coworkers a favor and figure out a way to shower before you go to your desk.

Sounds a lot like the problem Michael Bluth had. He should have used the stair car instead.

Currently I'm working from home.

I have biked to work in past jobs in Buffalo, Chicago and Philadelphia.

As I'm sure you know, the key is proper dress and proper bike gear.

The following site is a great place to discuss the best dress and gear for bike commuting:

Bike Forums

Its's kind of like the TBD of bike commuting without as much insanity.

I hope you weren't near traffic. Not having the ability to hear anything on a bike seems risky to me.

Back when I was a kid I rode a lot. I was either in Batavia or Brockport, but I had a cop tell me operating a bike while listening to my Walkman was illegal.

And ofiba's right, it could be lethal, too.

Back when I was a kid I rode a lot. I was either in Batavia or Brockport, but I had a cop tell me operating a bike while listening to my Walkman was illegal.

I used to crank techno when I rode and loved it but then realized how dangerous it is. I think talk radio is alright. I would download podcasts and listen to them. I could still hear cars and other noises.

I used to crank techno when I rode and loved it but then realized how dangerous it is. I think talk radio is alright. I would download podcasts and listen to them. I could still hear cars and other noises.

You should just play the sounds of car crashes and horns in your headphones so you are always on your toes. :thumbsup:

Yeah I would would bike up to campus in Brockport for classes/ work. Didn't worry about shower, due to short rides and manual labor jobs. But i had the courtesy to bring deodorant and cologne. For anything in town, I'd recommend riding the bike, strictly for the gas benefits. It was nice to only have to drive to get groceries on some weeks.

I've ridden to work many times and here is my trick to not stinking

1 - Shower before your ride

2 - Keep your heart rate under 135 (don't hammer - you'll only get there 5 min later)

3 - apply deodorant and a 'tad' of cologne at the office