Teams drafting top 15 WRs or CBs since 2000

AKC

When you're a team like Buffalo it is not easy to fill the WR outside of the draft. That's because free agent wide receivers like Burress, Moss and Owens simply aren't interested in coming here. Maybe if the Bills get good again they will be able to attract the big names.

As for the the Giants, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck weren't first round draft picks yet were the most valuable players on that defense. Taking it further...Allen DB, Shockey TE, Joseph DT, Manning QB, Webster DB (2nd rd, no first rd pick), Kiwanuka LB, Ross DB were all the first picks of the Giants' drafts since 2001. Exactly where are these dominating DL/OL players that they drafted in the first round again? You can't make blanket statements about who the Bills must pick first based on other teams like the Giants. The Bills are in no position to draft backup DL or OL when their offense was the worst in their entire history in 2007 because they had zero threats at WR beyond Lee Evans. It had a major negative effect on Edwards, Lynch and Evans' effectiveness and is the reason why they never got it in gear.

So suggesting the Bills take a WR in the first round for the first time since 2004 is somehow equivalent to Matt Millon's multiple WR drafts? The Lee Evans pick was four years ago, talk about a reach. :thumbsup:

and they should have taken Vince Wilfork with that pick.

They haven't been able to stop the run or push the pocket since blowing that pick.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting argument, but I'm not sure how relevant it is. Indy hasn't had many top 15 picks, but they have used four recent first round picks on WR/TE. Baltimore used a very high pick (#10) on Chris McAllister and (#10) on Travis Taylor. They won the Superbowl that year, but those don't mean your arbitrary 2001 cutoff. They Eagles have also drafted a WR and CB in the first round this decade, but as you said, they don't often draft top 15. NE has used two first round picks on TEs this decade and one on a DB. The Packers have used a #20 on a WR and a #14 on a Te in 2000.

So I think your numbers largely come from your arbitrary cutoffs of top 15 and since 2001 more than anything real. I also don't think the teams you picked are the best teams of the past seven years. If you want to look at how these teams became winners (how's this - four of five have franchise QB's), I think that may be more useful, instead of looking at what they did after they got there.

NE also picked a WR in the first round a couple years ago, Chad Jackon I believe his name was.

NE also picked a WR in the first round a couple years ago, Chad Jackson I believe his name was.

Nope. Second. Pats haven't taken a first-round WR since Terry Glenn.

NE also picked a WR in the first round a couple years ago, Chad Jackon I believe his name was.

And they sure regret making that pick, judging by the barrage of signings they made in free agency.

And they sure regret making that pick, judging by the barrage of signings they made in free agency.

I wonder about that. He was a early pick and they bring in Reche Caldwell as the third reciever. It would be nice to start seeing the Pats bust on picks. Although if memory serves me right, didnt very few of their picks make the roster last year.