The Best Round For Each Need

Astrobot

By now the value boards are coming together at 1 Bills Drive. What is the optimum round for each position to be selected?

My opinion:

Round 1: This is a great Round for WR's.

*Devin Thomas - MichSt, #1 on some boards, he's the only first rounder with Kick Return experience. Are you going to let your #1 CB do kick return? *Malcolm Kelly - Oklahoma--he's the biggest in terms of weight at his height. *DeSean Jackson - From Cal, he's the fastest of thew WR's in round 1, but also the shortest. *Limas Sweed - Texas: Limas might be the safe pick if you want it all, but won't be the best any time in the next 3 years. *James Hardy - Indiana: he's the tallest, but his character questions loom. He may not be drafted until late 1st, or early 2nd. He's not a #11, but that didn't stop the Bills from picking Donte Whitner.

Round 1 is also a good round for DE's. Chris Long - Virginia will be long gone at #11. So might Vernon Gholston - Ohio St. But *Phillip Merling - Clemson and *Derrick Harvey - Florida and even Calais Campbell - Miami would be there. Some say if you are going to take a DE, wait, because Campbell could be there at #2. But www.DraftTek.com has him going at #23, so that means that 5 of the year's best DE's will be gone in Round 1. You can't say that about WR's.

Round 2 is a great round for TE. Fred Davis - USC has been touted as a good 2nd Rounder, but I'm less sure than I was. He trots his routes sometimes when he doesn't expect the ball. He taunts his opponents and isn't known for good blocking skills. Brad Cottam - Tenn has had a serious injury that actually is still healing, so he's thew McGahee of this draft. Martellus Bennett - Tx A&M is a legitimate choice in the lower half of Round 2; is he in the Bills' plans in a tradedown? John Carlson from Notre Dame could actually find his way into this Round since Cincinnati, Buffalo, and Green Bay are looking and Cottam is a true risk.

Round 2 is also a good round for CB's and shorter WR's. In the CB department, we have some quality merchandise, like Antoine Cason (my choice), some smaller products, like Brandon Flowers, and some tried and true items from reliable manufacturers, like Tracy Porter, Terrell Thomas, and Reggie Smith. If you shoppped elsewhere in Round 1, head on over to Wide Receivers and pick up any of four 6'0" prospects, if you plan on getting a taller product later. The six-footers include Early Doucet, Andre Caldwell (the fastest), Earl Bennett, and Mario Manningham. If you want speed and kick returning, we have Donnie Avery and Eddie Royal in the back.

Round 3 is a great round for WR's, too. It could be that we've had a run on WR's, and some good ones (like Avery or Royal, William Franklin and Dexter Jackson) are here, plus some of you who wanted taller WR's and held off in Round 2--Jordy Nelson and Jerome Simpson.

If you didn't shop earllier for DE, Round 3 is a good time. We have at least 4: Cliff Avril, Chris Ellis, Johnny Dingle, and Kendall Langford. I like Avril's speed (probably the fastest DE in the draft) and Chris Ellis--he's relentless.

Round 4 is Filler Time. Here's here you pick up a Bruce Davis at OLB, Jason Jones at DE, Antwaun Molden at CB, Owen Schmitt at FB, Josh Barrett or David Roach at SS, Josh Johnson at QB (Marshawn's cousin), Duane Brown a fast OT, or Art Carmody, the NCAA's all-time point leader in kicks.

In Round 5, Buffalo might look at the lines. The O-Line might need a Guard like Pedro Sosa from Rutgers (who sprung Ray Rice many a time) or Kirk Barton of Ohio State, who sprung Wells. The D-Line might rotate in DE's like Chris Harrington (Texas A&M), who is a strong tackler, or Brian Johnston from Gardner-Webb who is the fastest 280-pound guy you'll see in this draft. Wallace Gilberry of Alabama is one more DE prospect at Round 5.

Round 6 is time for depth at ILB. Jonathan Goff of Vandy, if he's here, would be an easy top choice. Ben Moffitt from USF is older, but was the best LB in the Big East this year. Jo-Lonn Dunbar (BC) would be a so-so choice; he's too small and slow for our D, IMHO. Vince Hall from Virginia Tech would be available, and I liked their opportunistic defense at Va Tech.

Round 7 is prospecting time at the specialty positions. Expect that some of these WR's would still be available: Ernie Wheelright,MN,6'5,215,4.5; Marcus Henry,KS,6'4,207,4.5; Chaz Shilens SDSt,6'4,208,4.3; Bruce Hocker, Duquesne, 6'3, 206, 4.5, (my "no fear" pick); Mark Bradford, Stanford,6'1",211,4.6 (a former Trent Everett target), and Justin Harper VaTech, 6'4,213,4.5 (unused in that offense). Fullbacks expected to be there (after Schmitt, Hillis and Felton) include Jacob Hester, Joel Collins, Carl Stewart, and Jehuu Caulcrick. I like Brandon McAnderson from Kansas State as a UDFA. Quarterbacks I'd expect in Round 7 include Paul Smith of Taulsa, whose 5,000 yards of passing is nothing to take lightly. Matt Flynn, an injured Sam Kellar, and Bernard Morris of Marshall would be worth checking out.

39 Days and Counting...

Since Rounds 1 and 3 are rich in WR and DE, and TE's are available in Round 2, I would go WR-TE-DE, fill in with Round 4 (I still don't think Josh Johnson or Schmitt will last this long, so leaning toward OLB), then O-line, ILB, WR, FB.

Jonathan Goff is an "old school" MLB prospect that should be fitted for a leather helmet! I've actually seen him play, and that was two years ago, and he was all over the field. In my opinion, he is 3rd or 4th round material. Just my impressions on him, FOOTBALL PLAYER!!! By the way, your analysis is spot on, IMO....