Billy Donovan kicks UF team out of practice facility

bartshan-83

Gotta earn it back

Usually I'm pretty pro-"student" athlete, but I love what he did here. Make the players remember it is a privilege (albeit one bargained for gladly by the university) to be a D-1 scholarship athlete at a big-time program (or anywhere for that matter). There was plenty of talent on the Gators squad this year...definitely above and beyond NIT. Actions like this separate the leaders and winners from the rest. Those who see it as a test and accept the challenge are always better off. Nice to see some of the Gators' young stars reacting in such a way.

Gotta earn it back

Usually I'm pretty pro-"student" athlete, but I love what he did here. Make the players remember it is a privilege (albeit one bargained for gladly by the university) to be a D-1 scholarship athlete at a big-time program (or anywhere for that matter). There was plenty of talent on the Gators squad this year...definitely above and beyond NIT. Actions like this separate the leaders and winners from the rest. Those who see it as a test and accept the challenge are always better off. Nice to see some of the Gators' young stars reacting in such a way.

A little OT here, but sometimes we forget these guys are kids. Not saying what Donavan did here was wrong, I applaud it. However, here is the bad side of college sports. Details the Ray Ray McElrathbey story at Clemson. Heartwarming story last couple of years, till he got his scholarship yanked by Bowden as he needed a better player at his position. I know what it is like to have your scholarship threatened, not a pleasant feeling for a broke Buffalo kid with no other way to get through college. Just seems to me a scholarship should be guaranteed, except for non-performance issues like breaking team rules, not showing up for class or practice etc.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...mson/index.html

Gotta earn it back

Coach Billy Donovan, feeling like his players had settled into a state of complacency and entitlement, banned them from Florida's $12 million facility. He also told them they couldn't wear any Florida attire.

Since the Gators can't wear any UF gear until Donovan deems them worthy, maybe they should all wear Orlando Magic attire... :pirate:

I have a feeling Billy wouldn't find it as funny as I do!

A little OT here, but sometimes we forget these guys are kids. Not saying what Donavan did here was wrong, I applaud it. However, here is the bad side of college sports. Details the Ray Ray McElrathbey story at Clemson. Heartwarming story last couple of years, till he got his scholarship yanked by Bowden as he needed a better player at his position. I know what it is like to have your scholarship threatened, not a pleasant feeling for a broke Buffalo kid with no other way to get through college. Just seems to me a scholarship should be guaranteed, except for non-performance issues like breaking team rules, not showing up for class or practice etc.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...mson/index.html

I read about that as well. Completely agree. Bowden showed himself to be a complete P.O.S with this slimy move. Plus to have the balls to blame the player for not being able to juggle school and academics, when he was an honor student carrying a credit overload on pace to graduate early (oh yeah, while playing D-1 football and being his younger brother's legal guardian).

I lost all (what little) respect I had for little Bowden and I hope nothing but the best for McElrathbey.