If We Want to be Competitive Right Now

If we wanted to be very competitive right away, this is what I wish we'd do. I'm basing these trades on reports I've heard that these guys are being shopped. I'm trying to be fairly realistic. . .

1) Trade our own original 4th (quite high) rounder to Philly for Lito Sheppard. If a 5th or 6th rounder next year is needed to seal this deal, so be it. Sign William James. Instant upgrade at starting CB and nickel.

2) Trade our high 2nd rounder, our low 4th rounder (compensatory pick) and Chris Kelsay to Carolina for Julius Peppers. Sign James Hall or Kalimba Edwards too. Yes, reports I've read say Peppers can be had. And a 1st rd pick may not be necessary to get him. Peppers had a very off year last year, but the risk that he'll return to be an elite player is a good bet. If they want JP in any deal, work him in and say keep the compensatory 4th or Kelsay.

3) Trade our #1 (11th overall) to Detroit for Roy Williams or to Arizona for Anquan Boldin. Yes, this is the tough one to swallow, but with the WR draft class so weak this year, this makes a lot of sense. They are both young and proven, and ready to contribute hugely right way.

4) Trade JP for a mid 4th round pick, (if he wasn't needed as ammo to get the above trades done). Some will say trade him for a 3rd round pick, but as I said, I'm trying to be realistic. Don't know that we'll really get a 3rd for him. Sign a vet back up. Daunte Culpepper? Gus Frerotte?

In summary, we'd have our original 3rd rounder, Lito Sheppard, William James, Julius Peppers, James Hall, and either Roy Williams or Anquan Boldin. That sure beats Sweed or Kelly and some unknown questionable CB in the draft.

ALSO, aren't we going to get another compensatory pick for losing London Fletcher and Nate Clements? Like a 3rd rounder??? Anyone?

All of that would require an INSANE amount of money, all of which we don't have. No way they would ever think about doing that.

We do have the cap room and this would remove the 1st and 2nd rounders contracts from the books. Are we even at the cap FLOOR yet? Anyone?

That is a homer call all the way. You cannot really believe that.

Why, because Lito is a bigger name who's been on sportscenter? I absolutely believe it...Jabari makes plays, and I don't feel you'd see any appreciable difference by having Sheppard back there instead....other than the cap hit.

Wow. Like we would actually do anyone of those trades maybe the lito sheppard one, but none of the other ones. Everyone of those players would be expensive to sign and obviously we dont want to do that as we didnt sing Bryant Johnson. I would like to get Lito Sheppard but i doubt it will happen and i would be happy with drafting Brandon Flowers or Antoine Cason.I also hope we get a compensatory pick for those guys because then we could trade two 3rd rounders for another 2nd rounder that would be great.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stroud for Pro Bowl 2008

Why, because Lito is a bigger name who's been on sportscenter? I absolutely believe it...Jabari makes plays, and I don't feel you'd see any appreciable difference by having Sheppard back there instead....other than the cap hit.

What about the depth back there? We are dangerously thin at CB. Sheppard isn't going to break the bank at all.

What about the depth back there? We are dangerously thin at CB. Sheppard isn't going to break the bank at all.

I definitely agree that we need depth, I just prefer not to mess with our starters. I think we have two capable starters at CB, one who has shown flashes of being a legit playmaker, and for very reasonable cap hits. I'd much rather see us relieve ourselves of the honky surplus we have at DE and continue to strengthen our front 7. I'm in the camp that believes the best way to improve pass defense is to improve the pass rush, and I think that we're better off spending money up front.

I definitely agree that we need depth, I just prefer not to mess with our starters. I think we have two capable starters at CB, one who has shown flashes of being a legit playmaker, and for very reasonable cap hits. I'd much rather see us relieve ourselves of the honky surplus we have at DE and continue to strengthen our front 7. I'm in the camp that believes the best way to improve pass defense is to improve the pass rush, and I think that we're better off spending money up front.

I agree with spending money on the front 7. Then, what about the 2nd, 4th, and Chris Kelsay (and that fat bloated-ass contract) for Julius Peppers. He had an off year and can be had, or so reports say. If he had a good year, Carolina wouldn't think of moving him. I think he'll rebound and is worth the risk.

Well since compensatory draft picks can't be traded, half your proposals are mute. The Bills have also come out and said they want JP on the team next year so he isnt going anywhere. Kelsay will not be delt because of the cap hit we would take. It costs a lot more to sign and trade a guy which is almost what we would be doing. Peppers contract would be equally as bad so why put oursleves in cap hell?

Trading draft picks IMO isnt smart. The 3rd and 5th for stoud are one thing because we would not have been able to get that type of DT in this draft. Reciver is much easier to come by as this is a very deep class. Roy Williams and Boldin would both deman huge contracts and Roy is in a contract year IIRC

As for Lito sheppard, if we can get him for a 4th round pick as you suggest we should make that deal. A corner of that caliber would be highway robbery for a 4th rounder. However he wopuld also demand a huge contract so it aint happening.

If there is one thing weve seen form this front office is that they want to build throuh the draft. In the past 3 years, other than draft day trades, we have traded 2 draft picks both for stroud. And we still had our draft intact due to the Mcgahee, spikes and hocomb trades. Id much rather have that then a bunch of big name players and an insane payroll.

Well since compensatory draft picks can't be traded, half your proposals are mute. The Bills have also come out and said they want JP on the team next year so he isnt going anywhere. Kelsay will not be delt because of the cap hit we would take. It costs a lot more to sign and trade a guy which is almost what we would be doing. Peppers contract would be equally as bad so why put oursleves in cap hell?

Trading draft picks IMO isnt smart. The 3rd and 5th for stoud are one thing because we would not have been able to get that type of DT in this draft. Reciver is much easier to come by as this is a very deep class. Roy Williams and Boldin would both deman huge contracts and Roy is in a contract year IIRC

As for Lito sheppard, if we can get him for a 4th round pick as you suggest we should make that deal. A corner of that caliber would be highway robbery for a 4th rounder. However he wopuld also demand a huge contract so it aint happening.

If there is one thing weve seen form this front office is that they want to build throuh the draft. In the past 3 years, other than draft day trades, we have traded 2 draft picks both for stroud. And we still had our draft intact due to the Mcgahee, spikes and hocomb trades. Id much rather have that then a bunch of big name players and an insane payroll.

Yes, I did forget about the compensatory picks not being allowed to be traded. I'm sure you meant "moot" not "mute" point. But, the cap hit point you made on trading Kelsay doesn't hold water as we could easily absorb it.

Where on earth did you get the idea that this is a good, deep WR draft class and it will be easier to come by one that way? Unfortunately for us, this is the weakest WR class in recent memory. There are NO WRs viewed worth the #11 pick in this draft. Sweed, Kelly, Thomas are all considered reaches at that point and there are no guarantees with them being as good as Roy or Anquan. In fact, odds are, they won't be as good.

Also, just because the front office stated that they'd like JP this coming year does not make it a lock. They could well be trade posturing. I, for one, believe they'd take a 3rd for him without flinching, and will consider a 4th.

That is what the draft is for. If it were August and we did not add a CB I would be very nervous. But it's March so you can relax

If we wanted to be very competitive right away, this is what I wish we'd do. I'm basing these trades on reports I've heard that these guys are being shopped. I'm trying to be fairly realistic. . .

1) Trade our own original 4th (quite high) rounder to Philly for Lito Sheppard. If a 5th or 6th rounder next year is needed to seal this deal, so be it. Sign William James. Instant upgrade at starting CB and nickel.

2) Trade our high 2nd rounder, our low 4th rounder (compensatory pick) and Chris Kelsay to Carolina for Julius Peppers. Sign James Hall or Kalimba Edwards too. Yes, reports I've read say Peppers can be had. And a 1st rd pick may not be necessary to get him. Peppers had a very off year last year, but the risk that he'll return to be an elite player is a good bet. If they want JP in any deal, work him in and say keep the compensatory 4th or Kelsay.

3) Trade our #1 (11th overall) to Detroit for Roy Williams or to Arizona for Anquan Boldin. Yes, this is the tough one to swallow, but with the WR draft class so weak this year, this makes a lot of sense. They are both young and proven, and ready to contribute hugely right way.

4) Trade JP for a mid 4th round pick, (if he wasn't needed as ammo to get the above trades done). Some will say trade him for a 3rd round pick, but as I said, I'm trying to be realistic. Don't know that we'll really get a 3rd for him. Sign a vet back up. Daunte Culpepper? Gus Frerotte?

In summary, we'd have our original 3rd rounder, Lito Sheppard, William James, Julius Peppers, James Hall, and either Roy Williams or Anquan Boldin. That sure beats Sweed or Kelly and some unknown questionable CB in the draft.

ALSO, aren't we going to get another compensatory pick for losing London Fletcher and Nate Clements? Like a 3rd rounder??? Anyone?

Are we playing MADDEN here or what? NO way not EVEN in MADDEN....jebus

That is what the draft is for. If it were August and we did not add a CB I would be very nervous. But it's March so you can relax

I'm very relaxed. But how did Youbouty, a 3rd rounder in the draft, turn out? You're assuming we will hit on all of our draft picks. Nobody hits on all of them. Sheppard is a proven CB in this league that won't break the bank and can be had.

Yes, I did forget about the compensatory picks not being allowed to be traded. I'm sure you meant "moot" not "mute" point. But, the cap hit point you made on trading Kelsay doesn't hold water as we could easily absorb it.

Where on earth did you get the idea that this is a good, deep WR draft class and it will be easier to come by one that way? Unfortunately for us, this is the weakest WR class in recent memory. There are NO WRs viewed worth the #11 pick in this draft. Sweed, Kelly, Thomas are all considered reaches at that point and there are no guarantees with them being as good as Roy or Anquan. In fact, odds are, they won't be as good.

I did mean moot sorry i cut a few fingers the other day so my typing is a little off this week. Explain to me how we could easily abosrb the cap hit while paying for peppers? IIRC we have to pay Kelsays Bonus and any contract that we inherit from peppers which im sure is substantial.

As for a reciever worth of 11. You might be right about that but the goal of the draft is to get players to help your team. I personally don't care when we draft them so long as they contribute. Just becuase Kiper throws around the word "value" doesnt mean a player isnt valuable to his team if hes drafted earlier than expected by all those ESPN "experts"

You cannot trade compensatory picks either. But let's just say you can. You would of just traded away our #1, our #2, two #4s. Why even show up for the draft? Good teams are build through the draft. Not on overspending- just åsk Dan Snyder. Take a breath and relax. We have a great front office that has a plan. We will address needs in the draft.

Are we playing MADDEN here or what? NO way not EVEN in MADDEN....jebus

Money might well be a factor, but I don't think those trade proposals are something the other teams would see as outrageous. # 11 for Boldin or Roy? I think either team would strongly consider pulling the trigger.

You cannot trade compensatory picks either. But let's just say you can. You would of just traded away our #1, our #2, two #4s. Why even show up for the draft? Good teams are build through the draft. Not on overspending- just åsk Dan Snyder. Take a breath and relax. We have a great front office that has a plan. We will address needs in the draft.

We have a great front office? I admire your faith and optimism. I don't know that even the heartiest fans could deep down agree that our front office is great. We don't even have a true GM. We have a financial guy and John Guy, Modrak and Jauron. Any way you slice it, great is not the word that is often thrown around when discussing them.

Money might well be a factor, but I don't think those trade proposals are something the other teams would see as outrageous. # 11 for Boldin or Roy? I think either team would strongly consider pulling the trigger.

Hell i would too a nice contract dump and a high draft pick. Id make that deal any day. if i were the lions or cards