Should Prostitution Be Legal?

Steely Dan

Legalizing Prostitution  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Should Prostitution be legal?

• No, it's immoral and should always be illegal.
    • No, I really don't mind it but it would be more trouble than it's worth.
    • Yes, this is limiting a person's right to use their body as they want.
    • Yes, we aren't putting a dent in it anyway and we could tax the $#!+ out of it!!

why do you suggest that? I cited that example to prove that weed and prostitution will not decrease quality of life in the USA. I love America. Part of being American is being able to speak your mind. I have tons lots of traveling and everywhere has something to offer. Health care is a mess here. The dollar sucks. Trade deficits are ridiculous. We are losing manufacturing jobs. Part of being American is being able to say how it is. I don't know what bothered you about my post

I agree with my namesake. You are 100% correct.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only it was as simple as one, two, three. I have talked to woman about prostitution, most married woman do not approve. Also, everyone seems to like the idea until it touches home. Its OK for other woman but not my wife, or my daughter, suddenly the idea looks less attractive when you bring your family into it. Or as Astrobot pointed out, what do you do about the woman who are forced into it by someone else or for financial reasons. How many lives or relationships will be ruined? Familys destroyed, If only it where as easy as 1, 2 , 3

So If you don't like the idea of prostitution hitting home then maybe you should rethink things.

Please re-read my post. Thanks. Nowhere did I say that I did not, personally, like the idea of prostitution hitting home.

Now, we can discuss. You said "most married women do not approve." Where are your poll results or academic research to back this up?

I spoke with my wife about it when the entire Spitzer thing came out. She said she was lucky that she did not have to do that to get by, but understands there are many who do and certainly does not begrudge them at all. This "Kristen" was just trying to get ahead.

My point is that no one would be "forced" into prostitution if it were legal, just as no one is "forced" into stripping now. Choices are made, you live with the consequences.

How many lives, relationships, families are ruined you ask? How many are ruined now as many prostitutes are runaways, drug addicts and victims of violence. If prostitution were legal, my guess is far less than are currently ruined.

why do you suggest that? I cited that example to prove that weed and prostitution will not decrease quality of life in the USA. I love America. Part of being American is being able to speak your mind. I have tons lots of traveling and everywhere has something to offer. Health care is a mess here. The dollar sucks. Trade deficits are ridiculous. We are losing manufacturing jobs. Part of being American is being able to say how it is. I don't know what bothered you about my post

Nothing bothered me about your post. I was just wondering what was keeping you here if the Netherlands was so great. Obviously you can like things about other places but still want to live in the USA though. Disregard my post. :thumbsup:

If only it was as simple as one, two, three. I have talked to woman about prostitution, most married woman do not approve. Also, everyone seems to like the idea until it touches home. Its OK for other woman but not my wife, or my daughter, suddenly the idea looks less attractive when you bring your family into it. Or as Astrobot pointed out, what do you do about the woman who are forced into it by someone else or for financial reasons. How many lives or relationships will be ruined? Familys destroyed, If only it where as easy as 1, 2 , 3

So If you don't like the idea of prostitution hitting home then maybe you should rethink things.

:thumbsup: That's what's going on NOW! legalizing it would make that happen less!!

I'm assuming allot more with the legalization. One day in the future when relationships are gone and the only way men get sex, is to pay for it, or if you want an offspring you pay for it. Men will look back in history to our times and say, wow, back in the day when sex was free and relationships and marriage where the norm, men had it made. :thumbsup:

Do you know what love is? People don't hook up for sex they hook up because they love each other!! Then they don't have sex they make love! Sex is for the college years. When people mature and maybe someday you will too, you'll learn that people get together to raise families and they do what is necessary to raise their kids in a moral and loving household. (If they're doing it right). Most people do that. I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of humanity but I don't. :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
:thumbsup: That's what's going on NOW! legalizing it would make that happen less!!

Do you know what love is? People don't hook up for sex they hook up because they love each other!! Then they don't have sex they make love! Sex is for the college years. When people mature and maybe someday you will too, you'll learn that people get together to raise families and they do what is necessary to raise their kids in a moral and loving household. (If they're doing it right). Most people do that. I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of humanity but I don't. :thumbsup:

I don't expect most people to look very far down the road but if you think you or anyone else can determine what long term effect the changing of a law would do to society, stop kidding yourself because you can't. Personally, I don't believe in sex without love and If I have such a low opinion of humanity, why am I trying to protect humanity now with my argument?

What makes us human? sex on impulse, without love? like an animal? I don't think so :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787

Its probably every married mans fantasy, to one day discreetly slip down to the brothel, have a line of beautiful woman to choose from, pick a dark, lusty babe out and have your way with her. I mean Nobody would know, its not like they care if your married or not. Its really easy to do now prostitution is legal everywhere and has become very, very popular. In fact, one of the highest paying careers out there so everyone wants a piece of the action.

So you live out your fantasy. Its so much fun, you do it again, and again. Pretty soon your wife is gone, because your not taking care of business at home and so the story goes...

No damage done long term on society when the spread of aids and the divorce rate both double. Your daughter just hired on at your favorite watering hole so it sure ruined that particular brothel, and aunt Edna works at the one down town so its going out of town for you now.

Doggonit these small towns can be an eye opener at the brothels when you bump into one of your relatives :pirate:

It Should be Legal. I think ALL drugs should be legal, prostitution, gay marriage, no outlawing of any type of firearms, trans fats, and no seatbelts, or speed limits. Laws should not decide the morals for a person, but uphold the decison of the maker.As long as no direct physical harm will become a person not involved with the decision then it should be considered part of ones FREEDOM of choice. I do not want to make your decisions, do not try to make mine. Down with Democrats, Down with Republicans, long live libertarians.

Guest dog14787
It Should be Legal. I think ALL drugs should be legal, prostitution, gay marriage, no outlawing of any type of firearms, trans fats, and no seatbelts, or speed limits. Laws should not decide the morals for a person, but uphold the decison of the maker.As long as no direct physical harm will become a person not involved with the decision then it should be considered part of ones FREEDOM of choice. I do not want to make your decisions, do not try to make mine. Down with Democrats, Down with Republicans, long live libertarians.

Aww Dude, I always wanted to walk around with a pair of double barrelled sawed off shotguns at my hips and a couple of hand grenades strapped to my backside just for safe measure just in case a maniac started chasing me down the street or something. :pirate:

Aww Dude, I always wanted to walk around with a pair of double barrelled sawed off shotguns at my hips and a couple of hand grenades strapped to my backside just for safe measure just in case a maniac started chasing me down the street or something. :pirate:

Just by how you replied you can tell you are a Democrat. You had a problem with gun control, while not caring about the legalization of drugs or gay marriage so you must be a Democrat. Both parties want to take my rights, it just depends on what rights you want to give up. If you want to spend your money on Hand Greneades and sawed off shotguns I wont tell you not to, its your money(how you use them should still be punishable by law, but having them is your business not mine). Just like if some idiot druggy wants to shoot herione and die, I dont care. I dont care what you do provided you dont ask me for money because your choices where bad,

Guest dog14787
Just by how you replied you can tell you are a Democrat. You had a problem with gun control, while not caring about the legalization of drugs or gay marriage so you must be a Democrat. Both parties want to take my rights, it just depends on what rights you want to give up. If you want to spend your money on Hand Greneades and sawed off shotguns I wont tell you not to, its your money(how you use them should still be punishable by law, but having them is your business not mine). Just like if some idiot druggy wants to shoot herione and die, I dont care. I dont care what you do provided you dont ask me for money because your choices where bad,

Vote John McCain and keep our great Nation safe :pirate:

No damage done long term on society when the spread of aids and the divorce rate both double. Your daughter just hired on at your favorite watering hole so it sure ruined that particular brothel, and aunt Edna works at the one down town so its going out of town for you now.

Doggonit these small towns can be an eye opener at the brothels when you bump into one of your relatives :pirate:

I mean, others have said it in this thread, but is your daughter and aunt Edna working at Scores or one of your local strip clubs? Just because an "amoral" choice is available, doesn't mean it becomes more attractive. It simply becomes more available. Don't want your daughter to become a stripper? Raise her accordingly the best you can. Now replace "stripper" with "prostitute," wash, rinse, repeat.

And I have trouble with the premise that the spread of STDs would INCREASE by bringing a currently drug-infested, back alley practice infested with peripheral crime into the daylight.

I don't expect most people to look very far down the road but if you think you or anyone else can determine what long term effect the changing of a law would do to society, stop kidding yourself because you can't. Personally, I don't believe in sex without love and If I have such a low opinion of humanity, why am I trying to protect humanity now with my argument?

What makes us human? sex on impulse, without love? like an animal? I don't think so :lol:

If you didn't have a low opinion of humanity then you wouldn't believe it needs protection from a situation like this. Only someone who harbors immoral lust themselves would think this would open things up to rush on hookers.

Its probably every married mans fantasy, to one day discreetly slip down to the brothel, have a line of beautiful woman to choose from, pick a dark, lusty babe out and have your way with her. I mean Nobody would know, its not like they care if your married or not. Its really easy to do now prostitution is legal everywhere and has become very, very popular. In fact, one of the highest paying careers out there so everyone wants a piece of the action.

So you live out your fantasy. Its so much fun, you do it again, and again. Pretty soon your wife is gone, because your not taking care of business at home and so the story goes...

Doggonit these small towns can be an eye opener at the brothels when you bump into one of your relatives :lol:

Thanks for proving that you harbor immoral lusts. The people I know wouldn't change a thing if prostitution became legal.

As to your argument about AIDS you don't seem to understand that it would make the transmission of AIDS less because prostitutes would have to have a license dependent on getting tested frequently. Being able to control it more leads to less communicable diseases.

The freedom to swing your arm ends at my nose. Legalizing prostitution would cause me no harm, gay marriage causes me no harm. My choice to eat trans fats shouldn't be governed. Speed limits make it safer for me because someone driving like a maniac puts my life in danger. Legalizing ALL drugs puts my life in danger because addictive drugs being legal would create more addicts and that puts my life in danger, non addictive drugs don't put my life in danger nearly as much as say, alcohol. Rapid fire assault weapons do put my life in danger. Handguns have a legitimate home protection use and I don't feel they should be legislated as much. Some of the arguments your using are ridiculous. :pirate:

Guest dog14787
I mean, others have said it in this thread, but is your daughter and aunt Edna working at Scores or one of your local strip clubs? Just because an "amoral" choice is available, doesn't mean it becomes more attractive. It simply becomes more available. Don't want your daughter to become a stripper? Raise her accordingly the best you can. Now replace "stripper" with "prostitute," wash, rinse, repeat.

And I have trouble with the premise that the spread of STDs would INCREASE by bringing a currently drug-infested, back alley practice infested with peripheral crime into the daylight.

Right, lets let them same type of people have free reign on everyone so all of the diseases they pass around with their needles, they can pass on to the rest of us horny folk :pirate:

The stripper analogy is right on. It's been used before here but it seems to fly over the heads of those against this idea. Strippers make great money and all they have to do is take off their clothes and dance. If your child or wife is inclined to easy money they'll strip long before they'll become hookers. If that argument didn't fly "over their heads" they'd get it. However, paying attention to that argument totally blows their argument away so they ignore it. :pirate:

Guest dog14787
The stripper analogy is right on. It's been used before here but it seems to fly over the heads of those against this idea. Strippers make great money and all they have to do is take off their clothes and dance. If your child or wife is inclined to easy money they'll strip long before they'll become hookers. If that argument didn't fly "over their heads" they'd get it. However, paying attention to that argument totally blows their argument away so they ignore it. :pirate:

Strip dancing and prostitution are like mixing apples and oranges, two different things. It takes talent to be a good strip dancer, on the other hand anyone can fu#%k so lets just call it what it is, just for the sake of not going over anyones head, OK

Strip dancing anology is right on, geesh, give me a break :lol:

Strip dancing and prostitution are like mixing apples and oranges, two different things. It takes talent to be a good strip dancer, on the other hand anyone can fu#%k so lets just call it what it is, just for the sake of not going over anyones head, OK

Strip dancing anology is right on, geesh, give me a break :pirate:

:lol:

Yeah, it takes talent to be a good stripper (I guess). It takes breasts to be an average one.

Just as it takes talent to be a good prostitute and a pulse to be an average one.

And the analogy is not apples and oranges when used in response to this argument of yours:

Your daughter just hired on at your favorite watering hole so it sure ruined that particular brothel, and aunt Edna works at the one down town so its going out of town for you now.

Doggonit these small towns can be an eye opener at the brothels when you bump into one of your relatives :lol:

Why does legalized prostitution make your daughter a hooker, but legalized stripping doesn't make her get on the pole?

:lol:

Yeah, it takes talent to be a good stripper (I guess). It takes breasts to be an average one.

Just as it takes talent to be a good prostitute and a pulse to be an average one.

And the analogy is not apples and oranges when used in response to this argument of yours:

Why does legalized prostitution make your daughter a hooker, but legalized stripping doesn't make her get on the pole?

Talent to be a stripper!! ;)

Hefty hooters are all a woman needs. I've never gone to a strip club and said: "Hey guys let's go. These girls are hotter than :pirate: but they just can't dance." ;)

dog, you sure have some interesting thoughts on things. They don't make much sense but they're interesting! :lol:

Because its allot easier to f#@!k than it is to dance in front of dozens , even hundreds of men and woman and make them all think you want to f#@%K them and still go home at the end of the night alone, which many of them do I might add.

Damn, I never knew it was so complicated. Is there like a stripper SAT they have to take too? (I kid, I kid....) :pirate:

But seriously, I disagree. I would venture that the decision to let someone else use you for sex is far more difficult (in a variety of ways) for the vast majority of women when compared to stripping.

Look, bottom line is that of course legalizing prostitution could lead to a growth in the profession. But girls wouldn't be popping out of the woodwork to blow random dudes anymore than they rushed to the clubs to start twirling around the poles. And while as you say, "anyone can f#@!k", its not so simple. If so many more girls became hookers (as you surmise) it would therefore become a competitive industry where....ahem....talent separated the good from the bad. Just like stripping....

Now you can say that further denigrates women, creates another avenue for sexism, etc, etc.....but that is a different argument.

Guest dog14787
Damn, I never knew it was so complicated. Is there like a stripper SAT they have to take too? (I kid, I kid....) :lol:

But seriously, I disagree. I would venture that the decision to let someone else use you for sex is far more difficult (in a variety of ways) for the vast majority of women when compared to stripping.

Look, bottom line is that of course legalizing prostitution could lead to a growth in the profession. But girls wouldn't be popping out of the woodwork to blow random dudes anymore than they rushed to the clubs to start twirling around the poles. And while as you say, "anyone can f#@!k", its not so simple. If so many more girls became hookers (as you surmise) it would therefore become a competitive industry where....ahem....talent separated the good from the bad. Just like stripping....

Now you can say that further denigrates women, creates another avenue for sexism, etc, etc.....but that is a different argument.

doggonit, I hoped to destroy that last post, does Lori have her broom back yet? I've argued different points of view, exhausted all avenues, to no avail, its no use, prostitution should be legalized. I give up on humanity, were all whores at heart :lol:

Its why I voted yes for prostitution and tax it :pirate: