Should Prostitution Be Legal?

Steely Dan

Legalizing Prostitution  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Should Prostitution be legal?

• No, it's immoral and should always be illegal.
    • No, I really don't mind it but it would be more trouble than it's worth.
    • Yes, this is limiting a person's right to use their body as they want.
    • Yes, we aren't putting a dent in it anyway and we could tax the $#!+ out of it!!

Guest dog14787
The land of the FREE!!

No. (See above)

OMG!! Someone willing to take personal responsibility for their own family. I need to put that somewhere and bronze it. There are so few of you anymore. Thanks for not expecting society to raise your children for you. Now if we can get a lot of other people to do that! :thumbsup:

True. "Mary Jane" should be legal at least for medicinal purposes. People who try to apply morals to social problems just create much bigger problems. Moonshining and gangsters making money from liquor is far less of a problem than it was back in the age of prohibition. I'm against any of the physically addicting stuff being legal but anything else should be ok IMO.

As a cancer patient in remission it apalls me that the so called "moral" crowd keeps marijuana from being legalized for medicinal purposes. Cocaine is legal for medicinal purposes!!

The "Im"moral people should stay out of these battles. Why do people expect society to raise their kids? I'm all for TV chips that block shows at a parents request but don't ask all TV and radio to be devoid of things you find offensive. The truth of the matter is that it only takes a few vocal nutjobs to make a TV station change something. If someone came out and refused to give in to these idiots I would have the most incredible amount of respect for them. Most of the indignation in this country is fake indignation.

Here's a radical idea; take responsibility for your own family. A kids greatest guidance is their parents. Guide them yourselves. If you try to shield them from things they will encounter in the world they won't know how to deal with them effectively when they pop up. You cannot force your children to do anything as they grow up and the tighter you grip the harder they'll work to get around the rules. Of all the friends I had in high school the one who lied the most and did things his parents would never approve of was the kid with the strictest parents. My parents gave moral guidance with freedom and I've never done anything like he did. When kids enter the rebellious stage the more you give them to rebel against the worse it will be.

Right , lets just say the hell with laws that could effect society in a bad way or get people hurt or killed. Lets not worry about who or what your kids may face when the walk down the street. Are we supposed to leave this up tp the Church to decide? To Moms and Dads that could be corrupt to begin with? Get Real :thumbsup:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right , lets just say the hell with laws that could effect society in a bad way or get people hurt or killed. Lets not worry about who or what your kids may face when the walk down the street. Are we supposed to leave this up tp the Church to decide? To Moms and Dads that could be corrupt to begin with? Get Real :thumbsup:

Yeah, right now when your kids walk down the streets they only have to worry about whores who need their next $5 blowjob so they can get their crack fix.

Legalized prostitution, where hookers could advertise, and work out of brothels (or "agencies" like Spitzers did), would be FAR more dangerous... :thumbsup:

The former (the dirty crack whores) aren't limited in number because its illegal.

Get real.

Umm, can you put that into English? Some better explanation would help. You seem to be agreeing with me on some points and against me on others. :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
Yeah, right now when your kids walk down the streets they only have to worry about whores who need their next $5 blowjob so they can get their crack fix.

Legalized prostitution, where hookers could advertise, and work out of brothels (or "agencies" like Spitzers did), would be FAR more dangerous... :thumbsup:

The former (the dirty crack whores) aren't limited in number because its illegal.

Get real.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with people who have a one track mind. For your information I voted yes, and tax the F@#%ck out of it, but trying to live in a society without laws is pure stupidity :thumbsup:

Theres hundreds of different variables involved when you try to change a law, Its not just what you want, it effects other people and we all have to live together.

Guest dog14787
Umm, can you put that into English? Some better explanation would help. You seem to be agreeing with me on some points and against me on others. :thumbsup:

Just pointing out Pro's and Con's to your point of view. Yes make prostitution legal and tax it, Yes make pot legal and tax it, because its a waste of time trying to stop it for one, and yes theres a good argument for legalization because it takes pimps and hard drug dealers out of the picture.

Like I say though, allot of different variables and effects these changes would bring, some good and some bad.

OMG!! Someone willing to take personal responsibility for their own family. I need to put that somewhere and bronze it. There are so few of you anymore. Thanks for not expecting society to raise your children for you. Now if we can get a lot of other people to do that!

Damn straight. That's what I signed up for when I had kids. Not only do I take full responsibility, it really pisses me off when others think they know better. It's my job to make sure I raise a respectable, successful member of society.

In GA, my kid can't miss more than 10 days of school in a year without having to go through some lengthy appeal process. Mine has missed exactly ten (Grandmother's 90th birthday, and her subsequent funeral 25 days later.. then throw in a bout with pneumonia in November). We actually got a "it is important for you to realize that schooling and parental involvement is important" letter from the county.

Get lost. If it's my fault she misses classes, you can bet on her knowing the material. Again, 100% my responsibility.

Oh yeah, she is in Kindergarten. She must have been cutting class or something.

Damn straight. That's what I signed up for when I had kids. Not only do I take full responsibility, it really pisses me off when others think they know better. It's my job to make sure I raise a respectable, successful member of society.

In GA, my kid can't miss more than 10 days of school in a year without having to go through some lengthy appeal process. Mine has missed exactly ten (Grandmother's 90th birthday, and her subsequent funeral 25 days later.. then throw in a bout with pneumonia in November). We actually got a "it is important for you to realize that schooling and parental involvement is important" letter from the county.

Get lost. If it's my fault she misses classes, you can bet on her knowing the material. Again, 100% my responsibility.

Oh yeah, she is in Kindergarten. She must have been cutting class or something.

Georgia consistently ranks as one of the dumbest states in the nation, so clearly you better listen to them...they know what's best.

I better not see you trying to buy any alcohol on Sundays either, mister!! You just better watch yourself, cause this is the Bible Belt, dontcha know!

We all know the REAL reason marijuana is kept illegal is to boost budgets at police departments. Plain and simple. Cops need the cash and use the scourge of mary jane to scare citizens into giving up their cash and their rights.

PTR

The land of the FREE!!

No. (See above)

OMG!! Someone willing to take personal responsibility for their own family. I need to put that somewhere and bronze it. There are so few of you anymore. Thanks for not expecting society to raise your children for you. Now if we can get a lot of other people to do that! :thumbsup:

True. "Mary Jane" should be legal at least for medicinal purposes. People who try to apply morals to social problems just create much bigger problems. Moonshining and gangsters making money from liquor is far less of a problem than it was back in the age of prohibition. I'm against any of the physically addicting stuff being legal but anything else should be ok IMO.

As a cancer patient in remission it apalls me that the so called "moral" crowd keeps marijuana from being legalized for medicinal purposes. Cocaine is legal for medicinal purposes!!

The "Im"moral people should stay out of these battles. Why do people expect society to raise their kids? I'm all for TV chips that block shows at a parents request but don't ask all TV and radio to be devoid of things you find offensive. The truth of the matter is that it only takes a few vocal nutjobs to make a TV station change something. If someone came out and refused to give in to these idiots I would have the most incredible amount of respect for them. Most of the indignation in this country is fake indignation.

Here's a radical idea; take responsibility for your own family. A kids greatest guidance is their parents. Guide them yourselves. If you try to shield them from things they will encounter in the world they won't know how to deal with them effectively when they pop up. You cannot force your children to do anything as they grow up and the tighter you grip the harder they'll work to get around the rules. Of all the friends I had in high school the one who lied the most and did things his parents would never approve of was the kid with the strictest parents. My parents gave moral guidance with freedom and I've never done anything like he did. When kids enter the rebellious stage the more you give them to rebel against the worse it will be.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with people who have a one track mind. For your information I voted yes, and tax the F@#%ck out of it, but trying to live in a society without laws is pure stupidity :thumbsup:

Theres hundreds of different variables involved when you try to change a law, Its not just what you want, it effects other people and we all have to live together.

Who's actually advocating a society without laws? Or is that one of those fear mongering tactics to keep sheeple in line?

Prostitution is legal in many countries and the downsides are minimal. The upsides are the serious cutdown of peripheral crime associated with it, and a significant reduction in STDs. sh--, you can't advertise tobacco legally why would you be able to advertise prostitution?

As far as "taxing the !@#$ out of it", you just can't. You can tax it some but raise the tax to a certain point and you all but guarantee the creation of a black market.

Georgia consistently ranks as one of the dumbest states in the nation, so clearly you better listen to them...they know what's best.

I better not see you trying to buy any alcohol on Sundays either, mister!! You just better watch yourself, cause this is the Bible Belt, dontcha know!

That's just it. It very much feels like a knee-jerk reaction. There's a lot of band-aid fixes on the GA school system.

I just got back from a beer & frozen-pizza run just now, actually, so I don't have to make myself mad tomorrow! :thumbsup:

It doesn't matter; I'm one approval away from being a resident of the State of New York again (the Broad Street gig, if anyone remembers). If that one falls through, I've another one waiting in the wings. Had to put it off a bit a few months ago, but these two will help with the house in GA so I don't have to wait for this annoying real estate market.

Guest dog14787
Who's actually advocating a society without laws? Or is that one of those fear mongering tactics to keep sheeple in line?

Prostitution is legal in many countries and the downsides are minimal. The upsides are the serious cutdown of peripheral crime associated with it, and a significant reduction in STDs. sh--, you can't advertise tobacco legally why would you be able to advertise prostitution?

As far as "taxing the !@#$ out of it", you just can't. You can tax it some but raise the tax to a certain point and you all but guarantee the creation of a black market.

So are we supposed to pick and choose the laws that best suit us? Regardless of how it effects someone else? What about christian folk who oppose prostitution? How will it effect relationships? or Love? Family values are a thing of the past allready, how much more are we willing to sacrafice?

Besides, sheep do need to be kept in line because theres lots of wolves wearing sheep clothing :thumbsup:

I don't know about that. The winning choice is "tax it". The founding fathers would be so proud. :thumbsup:

Simply put, it's a way to get more money into the tax pool. As AD pointed out there is a limit though. If you consider the savings from fighting it to the revenue from taxes it's a pretty good revenue swing.

So are we supposed to pick and choose the laws that best suit us?

Are we not talking about legalizing it? Are you someone who is opposed to changing laws that have outlived their usefulness or should we simply continue to make the same stupid mistakes and pretend somehow that we're making progress?

Regardless of how it effects someone else?

You mean like victims of real crime who never get their due because we're wasting valuable resources on "vice" type crimes that will continue until our species is wiped out?

What about christian folk who oppose prostitution?

Prostitution predates Christianity and will outlast it, you heard it here first. And having them oppose it certainly hasn't slowed it one bit. sh--, they oppose pedophilia too but that hasn't stopped their leaders from systematically performing it/covering it up.

How will it effect relationships? or Love? Family values are a thing of the past allready, how much more are we willing to sacrafice?

What a line of crap. Ever travel outside the U.S.? You think families in Amsterdam are weaker than ours because they have a red light district? :thumbsup:

Besides, sheep do need to be kept in line because theres lots of wolves wearing sheep clothing :thumbsup:

Most of them are elected.

Sure, it should be legal. In fact, it should be formalized...we could require a couple to register their intent beforehand with the county, then maybe offically recognize it in some sort of legal ceremony, at which payment is exchanged in the form of jewelry...