what about trading down in the draft and maybe picking up a player

what about trading down with the eagles and swap our 1st rounders give them a 3rd rounder and maybe a conditional pick in 2009 for Lito Sheppard

that would be an ultimate amazing draft day for me getting a vet at corner simply would be amazing

Like many deals that would be great for us this one seems like one that will never happen. Lito is under contract for several years at a very affordable rate. I also have heard Philly would like to move him, and I assumed this is because the huge contract they agreed to with Samuel simply throws the relative payments to these two CBs who are different in skill level but not at the difference in the two salaries.

Rather than allow a situation to be created where they either lay a great case for Lito to ask for more or potentially create discord the plan is to move him somewhere where he can get a new contract,

The Bills would be silly to pay shutdown CB money to a player who will not be used to anywhere near the best of his ability as a CB in our Cover 2.

I do wonder if Philly is willing to move him even though he is under contract for a while because they anticipate him being a cancer if he is not adequately paid. IF this is the case there likely would be few things to throw him into a hissy fit like being a CB who gets marooned in Jauron's Cover 2, In fact CB Dre Bly said publicly that he was leaving Detroit when he hit FA because it was horrible being a CB in their Jauron designed Cover 2.

That's right bbfan54, and Fewell has stated that he only runs it about 20% of the time. I'd like to sign Will James and send either McGee or Greer to the nickle personally. I feel good going into the draft right now but if we were to add James I'd feel great going into the draft. :thumbsup:

No team plays cover 2 on every defensive play (the bears only play cover 2 on 54% of their defensive plays). You still need corners that can play man-to-man.

[

Bills aleady have McGhee.

He can play man but he is lost in zone

what about trading down with the eagles and swap our 1st rounders give them a 3rd rounder and maybe a conditional pick in 2009 for Lito Sheppard

that would be an ultimate amazing draft day for me getting a vet at corner simply would be amazing

That is WAY TOO MUCH to give up for Sheppard. I would agree to a swap of 1sts PERIOD. This thread looks LIKE one posted by an Eagles TROLL before the board crashed. Is that you Bills D#1?

That's right bbfan54, and Fewell has stated that he only runs it about 20% of the time. I'd like to sign Will James and send either McGee or Greer to the nickle personally. I feel good going into the draft right now but if we were to add James I'd feel great going into the draft. :devil:

mcgee is a solid corner IMO and Greer is very good in coverage. i like them both but adding some competition never hurts

No team plays cover 2 on every defensive play (the bears only play cover 2 on 54% of their defensive plays). You still need corners that can play man-to-man.

Agreed that no team plays the Cover 2 all the time. Fewell himself says he only plays it 20% of the time and the highest outside observation I have heard says that the Bills play it more than half but less than 60% of the time.

From my observations, Fewell is probably technically correct that they only play the Cover 2 as most formally defined 20% of the time. However, when one adds into this total less traditional versions of the Cover 2 which still have the CBs covering the short zone, but still are heavily based on a Cover 2 but are not it technically the C2 like the version called the Tampa 2 (where the MLB has the deep middle zone) this is where the the 50-60% number comes from.

Of the remaining cases where the safeties do not have the deep outside zone coverage and the CBs may have deep duty, even in some of these cases they do not require the CB to do much deep coverage as they are defenses for down and distances such as short yardage situations where there is little chance the opponent in going to go deep rather than slam the ball into the line on a run play.

When one subtracts out of the remaining plays ones where the opposing offense is in a 3 TE set or when they are in our redzone so there is no deep route it really is a relatively small number of plays which call for our CB to simply cover the fly pattern,

Even in those case where the CB has to play that coverage, it is possible for us to still have someone in a deep zone who gives the CB a backstop if we think he is likely to be beaten or the CB simply can play loose and make sure he is not beaten deep in situations where A TD will cause us trouble but a medium zone reception simply burns clock.

Would we love to have a shutdown CB? You bet!

Is it worth paying a mint in FA money or spending a 1st round draft pick to get one. I doubt it. It really would be a waste of resources which are better spent solving our O problems (if we move the ball and get some 1sts then the D has better results because it ain't on the field) or improving our pass rush which would do a lot more than getting a shutdown corner to improve our pass protection.