tornados in downtown atlanta

wow that is nasty! Hopefully everyone is alright. At the very least- they really, really need the rain down there. Hopefully it dumps buckets

Actually we've had a fair bit of rain lately...and a few weeks ago we had a really brutal storm system go right over the hospital I work at...we lost power for a few mins and I was fearful the generators weren't going to kick on. Thankfully they did, but the storm was pretty feisty!

Actually we've had a fair bit of rain lately...and a few weeks ago we had a really brutal storm system go right over the hospital I work at...we lost power for a few mins and I was fearful the generators weren't going to kick on. Thankfully they did, but the storm was pretty feisty!

Ak! In three utility outages, we've never had our data center backup generator kick on right. We always wind up dropping a good 1k systems. I don't trust those damn things.

fsck -y /dev/....

The Georgia Dome, the Omni Hotel, and the CNN Center nearby got damaged. They finished the game that was in OT, but cancelled teh game. The fabric in the roof has a big tear and the griders with the lights were swaying.

Why wouldn't the gensets NOT kick on? Everything is auto, right? And it is a hospital, so they have to be maintained and exercised regularly?

The genset here kicks on in a split second when the main goes out... And idles down for about 10 minutes before shutting off after the main power comes back on. Just in case we have to get that all important bass boat out to the lake in the face of a hurricane westwind! (like my Lightfoot reference? :lol: )

Our new system sure beats the old 1950's era Detroit diesel that we had to operate all manually... That thing was a nightmare and would actually use river water for it's coolant... That stuff would get all funkified with algae from time to time... Now everything is self-contained and pulls the fuel from a 500 gallon underground tank!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dank, I'm taking the "supposedly" out of your title. The hole in the roof of the Georgia Dome makes it a fact.

CNN is broadcasting out of their International studio because the main one has sustained severe damage. One of the guys covering the SEC tournament was posting from press row about it -- if you were watching the game broadcast and saw Tim Brando hold up a washer that had fallen from the roof, the sucker bounced off the table next to him. Scoreboard catwalks were still swaying ten minutes later. Cell phones are fubared with everybody trying to get through.

Dank, I'm taking the "supposedly" out of your title. The hole in the roof of the Georgia Dome makes it a fact.

CNN is broadcasting out of their International studio because the main one has sustained severe damage. One of the guys covering the SEC tournament was posting from press row about it -- if you were watching the game broadcast and saw Tim Brando hold up a washer that had fallen from the roof, the sucker bounced off the table next to him. Scoreboard catwalks were still swaying ten minutes later. Cell phones are fubared with everybody trying to get through.

That is why the world still needs HAM radio operators!

Really... Even the gov't ripped up their infrastructure... Now they are scrambling to look for ops with old school ability after Katrina... Go figure!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

they think a tornado hit the georgia dome, and there are others coming right for metro atlanta

http://www.ajc.com/

heres whats heading right for downtown

http://www.wunderground.com/stationmaps/gm...on=-84.38480377

We were tracking the storm. You guys should have seen this when it was happening live on our computers.

Why wouldn't the gensets NOT kick on?

Well, I had no basis for thinking they WOULDN'T kick on, other than the fact that it took a few for them to do so, and this is also a hospital that had their server room overheat and send not just the hospital, but the entire hospital SYSTEM (spanning over 40 miles and several facilities) into meltdown. So call me crazy for being a tad cynical lol.

We were tracking the storm. You guys should have seen this when it was happening live on our computers.

If I remember his location correctly, DrDank would have had a REALLY good view of this storm, and not on a computer screen. Just sayin'.

Stay safe down there, y'all.

If I remember his location correctly, DrDank would have had a REALLY good view of this storm, and not on a computer screen. Just sayin'.

Up until about a year ago, I worked in the building just diagonal from that Phillips/GA Dome complex. From the sounds of it, it would have gone right down the road in front of me.

Indeed, i was IN the storm all night. GREAT lightening show, although it lasted until almost 6am *yawn*

ive never had so much lightening hit so close over and over. it was LOUD, but pretty rad.

i knew there was a reason i didnt want to live in the Cotton Mill Lofts

living room

omni hotel got hit

guess im not going to the parade today

olympic park got hit

Do you remember a fire there about 9 years ago? It was during the renovation. There was a man on top of a crane and he was trapped by the flames and they did a helicopter rescue off of the top of it. I was about 2 miles away when they did that and watched the whole thing out of a high-rise window. Was pretty amazing to see the guy grab onto a rescuer and get lifted off of the crane by helicopter.

THAT's the reason I didn't want to live at the Cotton Mill Lofts.

Edit: One good thing that came of this.. it probably washed all of the hypodermics out of Olympic Park! Now it's family friendly again!

Do you remember a fire there about 9 years ago? It was during the renovation. There was a man on top of a crane and he was trapped by the flames and they did a helicopter rescue off of the top of it. I was about 2 miles away when they did that and watched the whole thing out of a high-rise window. Was pretty amazing to see the guy grab onto a rescuer and get lifted off of the crane by helicopter.

THAT's the reason I didn't want to live at the Cotton Mill Lofts.

Edit: One good thing that came of this.. it probably washed all of the hypodermics out of Olympic Park! Now it's family friendly again!

i dont "remember" the fire cause i wasnt here, but they just showed the footage of that on one of those "real video" shows on spike or some channel. that was crazy. his shoes were melting to the crane as the helicopter was trying to pluck him off.

and lol about washing Olypmic park. they were showing clips of all the "storm caused" debris downtown, and all i could think was "thats what downtown looks like everyday!" at least now there is a reason to go pick all the garbage up.

its messed up that cabbage town got hit. it had JUST been revitalized by the local hipster movement. there are vinyl records and leg warmers everywhere.

edit: whats up with my use of quotes in this post?... :thumbsup:

i dont "remember" the fire cause i wasnt here, but they just showed the footage of that on one of those "real video" shows on spike or some channel. that was crazy. his shoes were melting to the crane as the helicopter was trying to pluck him off.

and lol about washing Olypmic park. they were showing clips of all the "storm caused" debris downtown, and all i could think was "thats what downtown looks like everyday!" at least now there is a reason to go pick all the garbage up.

its messed up that cabbage town got hit. it had JUST been revitalized by the local hipster movement. there are vinyl records and leg warmers everywhere.

edit: whats up with my use of quotes in this post?... :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm going to try to call my buddy.. his house is right down there! He's in North Carolina this month while his wife is home alone.

All of us piled up at the window of my office when that fire broke out. Totally unreal. For those of you that have no idea what the hell we're talking about: http://www.cnn.com/US/9904/12/atlanta.mill.fire/index.html.

To the City of Atlanta's credit, they've really cleaned up the Olympic park area. Back in '00 and '01, it was pretty nasty down there. It's becoming respectable now.