Draft Guides

BillsVet

Now that draft day is quickly approaching (6 weeks tomorrow) I've seen numerous guides available on newsstands.

I purchased Sporting News and must say it's downright terrible. The rankings are askew, demonstrated by their ranking Jake Long and Vernon Gholston as second round talent. To me it appears they've banked on name recognition alone or just did poor research and stopped altogether after about November.

Pro Football Weekly's isn't bad and had some of the recent rising prospects.

Anyone else have any notes on which guides they prefer? I'd heard ESPN isn't putting on out this year.

the ESPN Draft Magazine was pretty good last year and I still look at it now and then - a few laughable evaluations but better than most of the other ones i've seen. One problem I've had with these magazines is that a lot of them don't even wait for the combine so heights, weights, and 40 times are often significantly off. Maybe this year they waited another couple weeks to get some real numbers.

I saw these guides at Barnes and Nobles earlier this evening.

1. Sporting News

2. Pro Football Weekly

3. Lindy's

To be honest, they all looked like crap.

They are just rushing them to press to soon.

(pro days aren't over with etc.) to make quick cash.

I buy The Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide Book every year and then supplement that by listening to Mayock.

I subscribe to Ourlads Guide, and I honestly believe that they evaluate the talent, as opposed to getting the inside poop that Mel Kiper, Jr. lives on. That is why his evals are starkly different come draft day, versus what they are now. It has become one huge cottage industry, however, one scout I talked to said, at the time, you could fill a stadium with all the hard core draft fans! I punched my ticket for this years ago!!

Last year was the first year I used a draft guide to read before the draft and use during the draft. I am very glad that I did so. When the Bills picked Lynch, I thought they would try to go after Poz at the end of the 1st round... and they did EXACTLY what I thought they would do.

I will wait to get my draft guide this year for a few more weeks. But I will definitely get one!

I subscribe to Ourlads Guide, and I honestly believe that they evaluate the talent, as opposed to getting the inside poop that Mel Kiper, Jr. lives on. That is why his evals are starkly different come draft day, versus what they are now. It has become one huge cottage industry, however, one scout I talked to said, at the time, you could fill a stadium with all the hard core draft fans! I punched my ticket for this years ago!!

I also recommend the Ourlads guide. I haven't purchased it in a couple years, but it's no-nonsense, solid info.

Ourlads.com is up and running! They also provide monthly newsletters that I recieve from August/September right into April. WARNING.... their mock is nothing like the national buzz, they scout (Dan Shonka is his name) as they have Professionally for organizations in the NFL. I think Dan's Bio is in Press releases icon down the left hand side! Enjoy!! I do!!!

Note: These are used to make you aware of potentail draftees and give you a working knowledge. They are meant, in my little draft world, as total entertainment, because knowing these prospects is fun and enjoyable. In that way, you'll know what Mel Kiper, Jr. or Mike Mayock is talking about on day two! I flew to the draft two years ago out of Phoenix, so I am consider myself hard core!!!

Ourlads.com is up and running! They also provide monthly newsletters that I recieve from August/September right into April. WARNING.... their mock is nothing like the national buzz, they scout (Dan Shonka is his name) as they have Professionally for organizations in the NFL. I think Dan's Bio is in Press releases icon down the left hand side! Enjoy!! I do!!!

Note: These are used to make you aware of potentail draftees and give you a working knowledge. They are meant, in my little draft world, as total entertainment, because knowing these prospects is fun and enjoyable. In that way, you'll know what Mel Kiper, Jr. or Mike Mayock is talking about on day two! I flew to the draft two years ago out of Phoenix, so I am consider myself hard core!!!

I've heard Shonka on WGR some mornings, and he's very insightful. You're right though, drafting is not a one or two round event, especially considering how important it is to acquire cheaper talent in the salary cap era. You look at all the late round "finds" and it's those guys that make a team better and it's the best scouts and front offices finding these guys. The Giants have set the standard for second day picks, along with San Diego, Indy, New England, even Philadelphia. It's no wonder they're the more successful franchises.

Now that draft day is quickly approaching (6 weeks tomorrow) I've seen numerous guides available on newsstands.

I purchased Sporting News and must say it's downright terrible. The rankings are askew, demonstrated by their ranking Jake Long and Vernon Gholston as second round talent. To me it appears they've banked on name recognition alone or just did poor research and stopped altogether after about November.

Pro Football Weekly's isn't bad and had some of the recent rising prospects.

Anyone else have any notes on which guides they prefer? I'd heard ESPN isn't putting on out this year.

Yeah, the Sporting News one is downright laughable. Some of the notable highlights:

- Their mock draft has Vernon Gholston going 33rd overall to the Rams in the second round

- Also in the mock Aquid Talib lasts until mid-third round

- They rate Limas Sweed as the ninth best WR

- According to them, Trevor Laws is a seventh round prospect

I bought "Pro Football Draft Guide '08" yesterday - not really sure who's its made by, but I've been happy with it so far. Doesn't try to fake 40 times like virtually all of the mags do. It also doesn't try to overhype certain players and doesn't try to make player comparisons (which are often totally laughable - ESPN last year - John Beck = Donovan McNabb, yet also projected as a 5th rounder??)

They also seem to have a good understanding of team needs and the mock draft is pretty solid, though some late risers like Rogers-Cromartie they probably have a little underrated.

I also really like that the magazine includes these players actual college statistics, and even has game by game breakdowns in an index in the back.