HBO miniseries about John Adams

1776 was an afterthought for McCullough. He gathered so much material writing John Adams that he used some of that to write about that year. I liked 1776 but it doesn't hold a candle to John Adams. (Or for that matter his books about Harry Truman, The Great Bridge (about the Brooklyn Bridge), Path Between the Seas (Panama Canal), Mornings on Horseback (Teddy Roosevelt).

McCullough is a national treasure. I wish he were 30 years younger.

I forgot, I had actually read Mornings on Horseback. That was pretty cool. So anyway, I'm glad you started this thread. It must have been about 15 years ago I was watching book notes on c-span and McCullough was on with David Halberstram--simply a great historian also--and George Will. Will was just gushing over the Bridge book. Couldn't praise it highly enough. Then I saw a PBS special on the building of the bridge and I think it was based on the book and I said I have to read that. So 15 years later--friday--I go and get it at the library and toss aside the book I was reading. Well worth it! Great book. Much of it takes place in the Antebellum era which is my favorite era of all history. John Roebling was a pretty interesting chap, brilliant, energetic and very strange. Can't wait to get to the part about the Niagara bridge.

Have you ever read Page Smith? I think you would like him if you haven't

I have not read Page Smith but just added him in Amazon.

Just finished watching the first two parts of Adams. Made me fall in love with the guy all over again. Stubborn, wickedly smart, vain, patriotic, and a great friend. His little pep talk to Jefferson RE writing the Dec of Independence was fantastic, and the enigmatic Jefferson is a perfect portrayal based on all I've read about him.

I don't yet know whether it will top its Band of Brothers but HBO has a special knack with these miniseries that I hope they keep up.

OK...on to JA. Honestly, I dont know what Im enjoying more. The reunion with what I learned in History class way back when, the introspection into the period I DIDNT learn in History class, or just the bloody good filmmaking and acting.

I....ag....ag...ag...agree.........wi....with........y....y.....

I can't do it. Thanks for ruining this miniseries for me.

I....ag....ag...ag...agree.........wi....with........y....y.....

I can't do it. Thanks for ruining this miniseries for me.

We share love of cycling and now this.

All I need to go is get you to start watching Rock of Love and my mission is complete.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good miniseries. I had my doubts about Paul Giamatti as John Adams and I think he's being out acted by supporting actors but he's doing a decent job. Laura Linney is great and I like the guy playing Washington. It's a very engrossing historical movie.

I can't wait to see how it ends!! :thumbsup:

As to libs and the Constitution I find it laughable that someone defending a party who spies on it's citizens without warrants has the gall to claim it's the libs that have trouble with the Constitution. Also it's the PUBS who want to amend the Constitution not the libs. Nice try with that argument but perhaps you need to think things through before posting ignorant thoughts. Do you really believe that any of the people who fought for our liberty would condone warrantless searches and eavesdropping on it's own citizens? If you do you need to study the Constitution better.

This is a good miniseries. I had my doubts about Paul Giamatti as John Adams and I think he's being out acted by supporting actors but he's doing a decent job. Laura Linney is great and I like the guy playing Washington. It's a very engrossing historical movie.

I can't wait to see how it ends!! :wallbash:

As to libs and the Constitution I find it laughable that someone defending a party who spies on it's citizens without warrants has the gall to claim it's the libs that have trouble with the Constitution. Also it's the PUBS who want to amend the Constitution not the libs. Nice try with that argument but perhaps you need to think things through before posting ignorant thoughts. Do you really believe that any of the people who fought for our liberty would condone warrantless searches and eavesdropping on it's own citizens? If you do you need to study the Constitution better.

Errr...sounds like thats Bill Maher you were watching, not John Adams.

Although I did enjoy Billy's rant on Friday night about how Spitzer was a "victim" of Bush's abuse of the Patriot Act. :thumbsup:

Back on point...last night's episode was kinda dry. Im missing how JA got from being overseas for so, so long, to becoming popular enough to become VP.

I can't wait to see how it ends!! :thumbsup:

We are a wonderful work in progress, are we not?

What pains me though is making the mistake of judging history through the prizm of present day events. I have the feeling the founding fathers would prefer us to look to the FUTURE through that lenz. Just as they attempted to do.

Yeah, the distinction between "having" and "not having" a warrant is a tough one... :thumbsup:

Honestly, I glossed over and didnt catch EXACLTY what he was was saying, becuase I was too busy trying to pick myself off the floor after one of his guests accused Pat Buchanan of being some kind of race hustler three seconds after he accused the US Government of assasinating Dr. King.

Honestly, I glossed over and didnt catch EXACLTY what he was was saying, becuase I was too busy trying to pick myself off the floor after one of his guests accused Pat Buchanan of being some kind of race hustler three seconds after he accused the US Government of assasinating Dr. King.

Don't you see the plan here? Knowing John McCain is already a certifiable nut-job, all the left-wing pundits get together in secret and agree to act as publicly looney as possible. They all endorse Hillary. Hillary herself goes full-goose bozo. And all of a sudden, before you know it, Barack Obama is the only reasonable-looking candidate running for President. And the terrorists win.

It's all a great big anti-American conspiracy. I can't prove it of course...but that just proves that there's a second conspiracy within our government to cover it up...

Don't you see the plan here? Knowing John McCain is already a certifiable nut-job, all the left-wing pundits get together in secret and agree to act as publicly looney as possible. They all endorse Hillary. Hillary herself goes full-goose bozo. And all of a sudden, before you know it, Barack Obama is the only reasonable-looking candidate running for President. And the terrorists win.

It's all a great big anti-American conspiracy. I can't prove it of course...but that just proves that there's a second conspiracy within our government to cover it up...

My head hurts........