LB

I think we'll take a LB to replace either Haggan, Stamer, or both, and that it'll happen in Round 4.

There is a plethora of decent backups in that Round:

OLB

Bruce Davis - UCLA

Ali Highsmith - LSU

Shawn Crable - Michigan

ILB

Philip Wheeler - GT

Tavares Gooden - Miami

Beau Bell - UNLV

While I dont agree with the pick either, our LB unit is getting way to much love. Crowell is overrated, Poz has only played three NFL games, and Mitchell has been a career journeymen.

I don't know where you think Crowell is rated, but given you never hear a peep from the national media about him and he enver gets Pro Bowl consideration, I think he's very underrated. If this is a contract year, watch out.

I would have agreed with them a month ago, but I dont see the bills drafting a LB in the 1st round. How could they? where would he go? Poz has solidified his spot at MLB. Crowell was are best defender last year. and Mitchell just signed a good size long term deal.

The bills realistic 1st round options are as follows, in this order:

DE

DT (unlikly since the top 2 wont be there and the rest are late 1st round picks if not 2nd rounders)

CB (I hope not, because we will just let him go to FA after a few years)

WR (no WR in this draft is really worth the #11 pick)

trade down

WR

TE

I don't know where you think Crowell is rated, but given you never hear a peep from the national media about him and he enver gets Pro Bowl consideration, I think he's very underrated. If this is a contract year, watch out.

Crowell is Slightly better then average. He is very good in coverage, terrible at rushing the passer, and totally engulfed at the point of attack. He is nice to have around but being made team captian. There have been posts on this board about locking him up long term. If this team can let Conlan, Bennett, Talley, walk(even if it was late in there careers) while trading Spielman for a box of jock straps, and telling Paup and Cowart to not let the door hit them on the way out. Listen I am not trying to stir things up, I simply think that him being the best we have doesnt translate him to being good.

Crowell is Slightly better then average. He is very good in coverage, terrible at rushing the passer, and totally engulfed at the point of attack. He is nice to have around but being made team captian. There have been posts on this board about locking him up long term. If this team can let Conlan, Bennett, Talley, walk(even if it was late in there careers) while trading Spielman for a box of jock straps, and telling Paup and Cowart to not let the door hit them on the way out. Listen I am not trying to stir things up, I simply think that him being the best we have doesnt translate him to being good.

They WERE old, and Speilmann, Cowart and Bryce were half dead, remember?

Agreed. Which is why I think Keith Rivers isn't such a dumb pick. Especially if given this is crowells contract year no? The Bills could conceivably, take Rivers, and let Crowell walk after next season. Then move Mitchell over to slb starting in 09. Rivers is probably the safest pick in the draft. While he might not turn out great, he sure as hell won't hurt you. He has a leg up, coming from usc, as he was always used in coverage. So there's no worries with that aspect. He's a good tackler. I wouldn't say he was USC'S "best lb", but he's by far the best lb in this draft.

Fact....if you are a member of a lower-ranked defense, you will get no ink. If he had something like 8 interceptions, he'd have contract ammunition. Nobody else in the league gives a particular crap about him unless they can buy him on the minimum vet plan.

They WERE old, and Speilmann, Cowart and Bryce were half dead, remember?

I understand that, the point being that I do not think our linebackers our set acroos the board. While I dont think taking one in the first should be a priorty if they take Highsmith in the second I wouldnt be upset. The point I was making about the others leaving is that better linebackers then Crowell have left I do not want the team to pony up huge money to keep him. He is a nice player but not great. Hes Marvcus Patton or Kieth Newman all over again, liked here in Buffalo but probably wouldnt amount to much more then a borderline starter on another team.

Fact....if you are a member of a lower-ranked defense, you will get no ink. If he had something like 8 interceptions, he'd have contract ammunition. Nobody else in the league gives a particular crap about him unless they can buy him on the minimum vet plan.

C-man, Crowell is probably on a par with the LB that we signed from the Giants. Remember, the cap went way up, thus creating a lack of available UFAs. You saw what happened with OGs last year.

If Crowell was a UFA right now, he would get a nice deal from someone.

I understand that, the point being that I do not think our linebackers our set acroos the board. While I dont think taking one in the first should be a priorty if they take Highsmith in the second I wouldnt be upset. The point I was making about the others leaving is that better linebackers then Crowell have left I do not want the team to pony up huge money to keep him. He is a nice player but not great. Hes Marvcus Patton or Kieth Newman all over again, liked here in Buffalo but probably wouldnt amount to much more then a borderline starter on another team.

OK, now I understand. :)

Our lbs went from great to schitt in no time at all in those days. :P Even Holocek was a hell of a player before he got hurt. Either way, we need serious help at WR and TE, and I am talking very serious. Taking it a step further, our receiving corps is a disgrace. :lol:

C-man, Crowell is probably on a par with the LB that we signed from the Giants. Remember, the cap went way up, thus creating a lack of available UFAs. You saw what happened with OGs last year.

If Crowell was a UFA right now, he would get a nice deal from someone.

Why? His 5 year play stats show him to be no better than the ones that populate other rosters and get similar playing time. Crowell doesn't turn a game around. He's not likely to explode into becoming the LB of the Year.

I agree, he's a decent pro, but not one to make other clubs salivate.

OK, now I understand. :thumbsup:

Our lbs went from great to schitt in no time at all in those days. :angry: Even Holocek was a hell of a player before he got hurt. Either way, we need serious help at WR and TE, and I am talking very serious. Taking it a step further, our receiving corps is a disgrace. :(

Agree, this is a terrible group of recievers. I think the problem with the tightend over the years is that we dont know what we want out of them, we want primarily blockers we get Royal, now we want more of a recieving threat. They want them to play H-back and Fullback. Now they want a fullback and a Tightend that can stretch the D. I like Fewell as our D-Cordinator but I hope Schonert is an upgrade for the O-cordinator, atleast find a direction for the offense and go with it.

anybody who thinks the bills will draft a LB in the first round is a complete mongoloid. Anyone who thinks this is even plausible is mentally disabled. A LB early in the draft last year, a LB on the first day of FA, and a solid starter in Crowell. WTF are you thinking?

It is not what I would like, but 2 corners were picked in the top 10 and that is good news, unless Jauron decides to chase the 3rd rated corner with the #11 pick.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Because since Jauron has been here he's proven that he will do anything to overload the team with CB's? Our pass defense was crap last year in part because we didn't even attempt to replace Clements, yet of course I see how that translates into the whole Buffalo Bills organization being intent on drafting a CB in the 1st round, whether the talent is there or not. Or overspend in FA for that matter. NOT re-signing Clements and instead spending huge chunks of cap space on offensive lineman was a pretty transparent attempt to trick the fans and the rest of the league into not being able to see the pure obsession that the Bills have with CB's.

Because since Jauron has been here he's proven that he will do anything to overload the team with CB's? Our pass defense was crap last year in part because we didn't even attempt to replace Clements, yet of course I see how that translates into the whole Buffalo Bills organization being intent on drafting a CB in the 1st round, whether the talent is there or not. Or overspend in FA for that matter. NOT re-signing Clements and instead spending huge chunks of cap space on offensive lineman was a pretty transparent attempt to trick the fans and the rest of the league into not being able to see the pure obsession that the Bills have with CB's.

006 1 1 8 8 Donte Whitner DB Ohio State

2 1 26 26 John McCargo DT North Carolina State

3 3 6 70 Ashton Youboty DB Ohio State

4 4 8 105 Ko Simpson DB South Carolina

drafthistory.com

This is how Jauron and Levy stupidly chose to rebuild a team which had lousy DTs and a garbage OL. Oh, it cost them a 1st day pick to do this, and they spurned offers to trade down.

Anything is possible, wouldn't you say?