Safety:

Astrobot

I've been looking at Safety. We drafted our SS #1 last year, Donte Whitner, and he's backed up by undrafted free agent Jim Leonard. We have Ko Simpson as our FS, and he's backed up by...undrafted free agent Jim Leonard.

Leonard was originally a FS who did well at Wisconsin. (21 interceptions, All-time Big Ten history in punt return yards, special teams demon). I feel we'll need one more safety, but where to draft one.

I'm pretty sure we won't be doing this in round 1 and 2 (Landry, Nelson, Merriwether, Griffin, Weddle), although Whitner was a surprise to me...So I've been dredging around in the mid-rounds. Here's my take.

In Round 3 it would be either Sabby Piscitelli at SS, John Wendling (FS/SS), or Josh Gattis at FS. Rouse and Syracuse's Tanard Jackson have character issues. Since Leonard is more of a FS, I'll bet we take a SS--Piscitelli or Wendling. Round 3B is the best spot for a SS.

Piscitelli ---physical specimen, tough guy, some cornerback, knack for being around the ball and making a big play, 23 straight starts, most INT's by any active player in the Pac-10, 113 tackles and 17 pass breakups. My choice for 3B SS pick.

Wendling---is versed in both positions, fast, Excellent size and tremendous bulk, Physical, aggressive, solid tackler, superb job versus the run, hard worker, compared to Denver safety John Lynch but more athletic than Lynch.

I just read another poster who says that Buffalo has checked Wendling out.

I am not comfortable with our stable of safeties, especially with one injury to Dante, Ko, or Jim Leonard.

I wouldn't mind being Wireless.

I've been looking at Safety. We drafted our SS #1 last year, Donte Whitner, and he's backed up by undrafted free agent Jim Leonard. We have Ko Simpson as our FS, and he's backed up by...undrafted free agent Jim Leonard.

Leonard was originally a FS who did well at Wisconsin. (21 interceptions, All-time Big Ten history in punt return yards, special teams demon). I feel we'll need one more safety, but where to draft one.

I'm pretty sure we won't be doing this in round 1 and 2 (Landry, Nelson, Merriwether, Griffin, Weddle), although Whitner was a surprise to me...So I've been dredging around in the mid-rounds. Here's my take.

In Round 3 it would be either Sabby Piscitelli at SS, John Wendling (FS/SS), or Josh Gattis at FS. Rouse and Syracuse's Tanard Jackson have character issues. Since Leonard is more of a FS, I'll bet we take a SS--Piscitelli or Wendling. Round 3B is the best spot for a SS.

Piscitelli ---physical specimen, tough guy, some cornerback, knack for being around the ball and making a big play, 23 straight starts, most INT's by any active player in the Pac-10, 113 tackles and 17 pass breakups. My choice for 3B SS pick.

Wendling---is versed in both positions, fast, Excellent size and tremendous bulk, Physical, aggressive, solid tackler, superb job versus the run, hard worker, compared to Denver safety John Lynch but more athletic than Lynch.

I don't see it in round 3 but if you go by the "best player available" theory then you could be right. I do expect we will at least pick up a few safety's to round out the roster. We could draft one in the late rounds, and then look at undrafted rookie FA's, and also look at low priced veteran free agents. You are correct, we need to bring some competition into camp.

While I definitely think the Bills need some depth at the S position(s) I don't think they'll use a day one pick to that end. A day one pick should always have the potential of moving into the starting lineup (and soon). That just isn't going to be the case with Whitner and Simpson entrenched back there. Depending on how the draft falls I see the Bills grabbing a S somewhere in the last three rounds. Day one should be be reserved for a few of the following: LBs, RB, CB, WR, OG, TE. With so many needs the Bills don't have the luxury of drafting a backup player in round 3.

SS = short safty ??

It does when you're referring to Leonard :thumbsup:

Seriously, I've never heard of the term either but I suppose it is applicable. (i.e. The SS typically plays closer to the LOS therefore is set up "shorter" than the FS.)

Boy, I don't see us looking at safety at all this year. ML and DJ seem (at least going on last year) to be drafting with the intention of having all draft picks contribute pretty much right away and didn't seem to "take a flyer" on any picks. There are four or five positions where we could use help, maybe two linebackers, running back, wide receiver, cornerback, defensive tackle, and after that I would think we MIGHT be looking for an offensive lineman (center?) and possibly a flyer at tight end. I just don't see safety making the cut unless the kid might be a HUGE addition to special teams.

We definitely need to add another safety after losing Bowen and Wire (to LB corps). I tend to agree with the posters above, that the third round might be a little high for taking another safety, given that they are unlikely to start (knock on wood). I'd think we would take a FS if we drafted one early (to compete with Ko).

The only way we could afford to use 3B on a safety is if we draft a LB, RB and CB who we hope can play in their first year, and have another LB targetted who we think will be available in the 4th. I also think we need a second FB/RB in the middle rounds.

I would not be at all surprised to see a safety drafted in rounds 6 or 7, but think there is a good chance (30-40%) that we just pick up another Bowen-like free agent. This would let us grab a prospect at one of the other lower priority positions: WR, buckup/future OG/C?, DE? (though others seem to think DT is more likely), TE?. Also, I think grabbing a QB project in a late round is likely.