Thank you, Mass Media

SilverNRed

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I haven't seen the video. I wonder how I avoided it with the media pulling my marionette-strings.

With your head so far up your ass, it's a wonder you can see anything.

But thanks for the compelling argument. Normally I'd expect you to be a complete douche and add nothing to a thread but this time you really surprised me. :thumbsup:

But thanks for the compelling argument. Normally I'd expect you to be a complete douche and add nothing to a thread but this time you really surprised me. :thumbsup:

Oooooh. Now call him gay. :(

One of the very best moments I have seen from this whole sad affair was one of the friends of the victims being asked about the tape, and he just said he didn't watch it and never will. The reporter said something to the effect of, "because you don't want to give any glory to the killer?". And he just said "Exactly." It was great, but it's the same thing John Adams said.

One of the very best moments I have seen from this whole sad affair was one of the friends of the victims being asked about the tape, and he just said he didn't watch it and never will. The reporter said something to the effect of, "because you don't want to give any glory to the killer?". And he just said "Exactly." It was great, but it's the same thing John Adams said.

I was more moved by when they asked other students about the tape and they said how disappointed they were it was ever shown at all. Or when the families were cancelling interviews with NBC. But that's just me.

And as mentioned previously, you didn't actually have to go out of your way to see the video. There were about 24 hours where the video, pictures, and quotes were everywhere and could not be avoided. They didn't "make this available," they made this guy the center of attention.

I was more moved by when they asked other students about the tape and they said how disappointed they were it was ever shown at all. Or when the families were cancelling interviews with NBC. But that's just me.

And as mentioned previously, you didn't actually have to go out of your way to see the video. There were about 24 hours where the video, pictures, and quotes were everywhere and could not be avoided. They didn't "make this available," they made this guy the center of attention.

I still haven't seen any of it too, by the way. "Could not be avoided" is nonsense.

I guess if Zapruder had film of Lee Harvey Oswald in the window, or if he took film of himself, we should never see it because it's glorifying the killer instead of the victim.

I saw the basics (here's the guy, here's some of his ranting)...and that's it. Maybe 5 minutes total. I've had the TV on, been looking at news on the web, been out in the world.

How have I avoided it? By not watching the major network news, local TV news, CNN, FOX News, MSNBC and Court TV. I know they are go wall-to-wall with whatever the "hot" story is, be it Ana Nicole or the VT shootings. Next week it'll be something else.

The only thing more sickening than the media's coverage (well, the crime itself is the most sickening) is the public's whining about the coverage while watching every God damned minute of it. STOP WATCHING IT! It really IS that simple, you know.

By now you should know how the major mass media cover big stories. The first time you noticed the disgusting coverage while continuing to consume it...we'll blame the media for that one. But, the subsequent times you kept watching coverage that outraged you is YOUR fault. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.)

The news media has a responsibility to show the tape to the public and make it available. They do NOT have to show it 1,000 times, but do so because their ratings go up when they do. Why? Because the PUBLIC watches it. Right now, I'm not watching it, DC Tom's not watching it, John Adams isn't watching it.

So, YOU are to blame for the coverage, if you continue to watch.

I saw the basics (here's the guy, here's some of his ranting)...and that's it. Maybe 5 minutes total. I've had the TV on, been looking at news on the web, been out in the world.

How have I avoided it? By not watching the major network news, local TV news, CNN, FOX News, MSNBC and Court TV. I know they are go wall-to-wall with whatever the "hot" story is, be it Ana Nicole or the VT shootings. Next week it'll be something else.

The only thing more sickening than the media's coverage (well, the crime itself is the most sickening) is the public's whining about the coverage while watching every God damned minute of it. STOP WATCHING IT! It really IS that simple, you know.

By now you should know how the major mass media cover big stories. The first time you noticed the disgusting coverage while continuing to consume it...we'll blame the media for that one. But, the subsequent times you kept watching coverage that outraged you is YOUR fault. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.)

The news media has a responsibility to show the tape to the public and make it available. They do NOT have to show it 1,000 times, but do so because their ratings go up when they do. Why? Because the PUBLIC watches it. Right now, I'm not watching it, DC Tom's not watching it, John Adams isn't watching it.

Dean, you may know this and it's something I always wondered.

Yes, I understand how the major networks and cable news networks ratings go up during crises like this. But how does this transfer to real dollars? First, wouldn't they lose a ton of money in the first few days of this when the cut out almost all commercials, worried people will change channels? And actually owing companies that already paid for those spots. And how do they gauge new dollars in ad rates after the fact when they don't know when or if there is going to be another tragedy like this where suddenly tons more people tune in?

I guess if Zapruder had film of Lee Harvey Oswald in the window, or if he took film of himself, we should never see it because it's glorifying the killer instead of the victim.

We both know you're smarter than that. Footage of someone that proves their guilt is one thing. Footage and pictures of the killer after the fact talking about how great he is for what he did and how great he looks with the guns he used to do it is another. We don't need to air Cho's sick crap to know he was guilty.

There's still no explanation for why they did it. Even NBC News' explanation doesn't make sense. It's just some shlock about how important respecting the "victims and heroes" was to them and a brief reminder that everyone else did it too.

We both know you're smarter than that. Footage of someone that proves their guilt is one thing. Footage and pictures of the killer after the fact talking about how great he is for what he did and how great he looks with the guns he used to do it is another. We don't need to air Cho's sick crap to know he was guilty.

So it's okay to air criminal evidence? Keep digging...

There's still no explanation for why they did it. Even NBC News' explanation doesn't make sense. It's just some shlock about how important respecting the "victims and heroes" was to them and a brief reminder that everyone else did it too.

Again, the media's acting like the media. I'd have been more shocked if they didn't air it.

That's probably as much as I've watched, and still more than I wanted.

The public is the reason they pulled the video back. Like I said before, they didn't have a moral epiphany. People really didn't like seeing this lunatic having his day in the sun and, more than that, families were cancelling interviews. The public did cause them to stop. The amazing part is that it ever had to come to that.

I take it you don't own one of these contraptions? You know you want one. :thumbsup:

So it's okay to air criminal evidence? Keep digging...

I already said I don't need crime scene evidence all over the TV. But a picture of Lee Harvey Oswold in the window with the gun at least has some value in dispelling the ridiculous conspiracy theories. Cho's crap doesn't.