Bush Claims abou the flu vaccine shortage

spidey

He didn't say that...Our source in England's Vaccine was contaminated. stevestojan Happens. ...Say what he said. Not your version.

69168[/snapback]

When the transcript comes out go look at it. I just played it back in Tivo he said the shortage is created by litigation.

I believe what he said that's why US companies don't produce a vaccine.....I guess you can spin that either way. ..But hey I'm young and healthy..so i don't need one. What is funny though..I had to get one every year in the Navy..The only time of year I ever got sick. Go figure. :w00t:

When the transcript comes out go look at it.  I just played it back in Tivo he said the shortage is created by litigation.

69171[/snapback]

I'm not currently watching the debate. I did hear mention on the radio this week (can't remember where - not Rush, maybe Paul Harvey?) that part of the reason that no American companies produce a flu vaccine is fear of litigation. Whatever I heard did site specific examples and explained when production stopped.

I know it is vague. Sorry. That's all I remember.

I'm not currently watching the debate.  I did hear mention on the radio this week (can't remember where - not Rush, maybe Paul Harvey?) that part of the reason that no American companies produce a flu vaccine is fear of litigation.  Whatever I heard did site specific examples and explained when production stopped. 

I know it is vague.  Sorry.  That's all I remember.

69181[/snapback]

Actually drug companies in US claim they cant make enough money on creating a vaccine. So how much must a drug company make? Isnt this noble enough cause to produce for base cost??? They should be more worried about Vioxx and other drugs that have proven to cause harm.

So the shortage of vaccine is due to litigation problems?  Can someone please explain to what the hell he means?

69159[/snapback]

In '76, American companies mass-produced flu vaccine for the expected "Swine flu" epidemic. Epidemic didn't materialize...but the drug companies took it up the ass on Guillane-Barre syndrome litigation. Since then, they've mostly gotten out of vaccine production...it's a low-margin, high-risk business. The only way they'd ever mass-produce a vaccine like that again is if the government indemnified them against loss from litigation, which'll never happen.

What companies do produce vaccines...well, the company contracted to produce smallpox vaccine for the government quoted a price of $1B for 40 million doses...$25 per dose. When smallpox was eradicated in the '70s, the cost was less than a dollar a dose (inflation adjusted...maybe a nickel a dose). Maybe half that extra cost is due to startup costs of producing a vaccine that hasn't been made in 30 years and needs to be tightly secured...the rest is to cover litigation risk.

Actually drug companies in US claim they cant make enough money on creating a vaccine.  So how much must a drug company make?  Isnt this noble enough cause to produce for base cost??? 

69188[/snapback]

The purpose of corporations is to maximize shareholder value. Not charity.

Don't like it...then move to a non-capitalist state. :w00t:

The purpose of corporations is to maximize shareholder value.  Not charity.

Don't like it...then move to a non-capitalist state.  :w00t:

69212[/snapback]

Or, just vote for Kerry. We won't be a capitalist state for much longer once he's in charge.

I think it in reality was more fear of "negotiation". Producing flu vaccine is a complicated and not very profitable process, compared to other pharmaceutical venues. The only way to make a profit is serious bulk. There are only two companies who do it for us, commercially. GW made the right answer, but so be it.

He is not protecting America. Feel better?

Maybe half that extra cost is due to startup costs of producing a vaccine that hasn't been made in 30 years and needs to be tightly secured...the rest is to cover litigation risk.

Don't worry, I have a plan. John Edwards fights for families and victims. This Administration gave $89B to the top 1%. Halliburton.

Actually it is an English subsidiary of Chrion, which is based in Emeryville, CA. Research on the vaccines may go on over here, but the manufacture is done there because of litigation.

Drugs are cheaper in other countries because of government price controls. The drug companies are forced to charge the lower prices. That makes our country the only place they can recoup their R+D costs. Place price controls here or allow everyone to buy from Canada and the the research necessary to develop new drugs stop. The patents on drugs are for 20 years, but it takes almost 10 years to make it through the FDA approval process, so the companies have to get that $ in 10 years.

We have the safest drug system in the world. The 3 phases in the FDA testing are

1) Safety- does it kill or harm people?

2) Efficacy- does it work as good as or better than what is out there?

3) Safe dosages- what is the correct dosages to get the desired results?

Very few drugs get through all 3 steps.

Plan,Plan,Plan,Plan,Plan,Plan,Plan,Plan,

lovely Plan, wonderful Plan!

I watched the first hour -I was in the gym and it was on- I wanted to see the game.

Skerry said "my plan" at least a dozen times but didn't give one specific.

Actually it is an English subsidiary of Chrion, which is based in Emeryville, CA. Research on the vaccines may go on over here, but the manufacture is done there because of litigation.

Drugs are cheaper in other countries because of government price controls. The drug companies are forced to charge the lower prices. That makes our country the only place they can recoup their R+D costs. Place price controls here or allow everyone to buy from Canada and the the research necessary to develop new drugs stop. The patents on drugs are for 20 years, but it takes almost 10 years to make it through the FDA approval process, so the companies have to get that $ in 10 years.

We have the safest drug system in the world. The 3 phases in the FDA testing are

1) Safety- does it kill or harm people?

2) Efficacy- does it work as good as or better than what is out there?

3) Safe dosages- what is the correct dosages to get the desired results?

Very few drugs get through all 3 steps.

69250[/snapback]

Couple that with "the flu". It takes a while to even determine what "the flu" will be that year. An attempt by your government to help. Well, sometimes things don't work to your liking. Blame the President. You would give Clinton a bye, cause he would have smiled and said "Garsh".

Couple that with "the flu". It takes a while to even determine what "the flu" will be that year. An attempt by your government to help. Well, sometimes things don't work to your liking. Blame the President. You would give Clinton a bye, cause he would have smiled and said "Garsh".

69284[/snapback]

And there's something like a six-month lead time for producing the flu vaccine: you want it in December, you better start in June.

So really, the CDC has to identify emerging flu strains about a year in advance. All things considered...they do a pretty decent job of it.

They actually have to estimate in February what the flu strains might be in the next winter. They said that Chiron might not be able toeliminate the contamination by then.

When I started in biotech, we rented space from the company that was developing the Flu-Mist vaccine (inhalable vaccine). You should see what they had to go through to go in and out of the areas where they were working on growing the flu virus.

They actually have to estimate in February what the flu strains might be in the next winter. They said that Chiron might not be able toeliminate the contamination by then.

When I started in biotech, we rented space from the company that was developing the Flu-Mist vaccine (inhalable vaccine). You should see what they had to go through to go in and out of the areas where they were working on growing the flu virus.

69385[/snapback]

I believe.