The Distribution of Income

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to someone the other day and they said 25% of Americans work for the government at some level, city, county, state, federal, whatever. I tried to see if that was right when this article came up on CSM. I found this to be really surprising.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0416/p01s04-usec.html

Before the knee-jerkers jump all over this without reading the article, the authors consider any income from the government in their analysis AND their direct dependents...ie, everyone in the military, government employees, government contract employees, anyone that gets a grant (which I'm assuming would include education grants), anyone whose employer gets money from the government (goverment contacts), retirees collecting social security. They're not making any distiction between someone who gets a few food stamps a month or the IT guy that's keeping the servers running in the windowless basement of Raytheon (defense contractor).

They're not making any distiction between someone who gets a few food stamps a month or the IT guy that's keeping the servers running in the windowless basement of Raytheon (defense contractor).

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is sensible. My salary is 100% paid for by federal taxes and borrowing as a government contractor; I personally believe the only thing that separates me from someone collecting welfare is that I at least try to produce something in return for my income.

As a practical matter, there's little difference, of course - trying to produce anything for the government is usually blocked by the government itself in some way. I'm little better than a high-paid welfare recipient in real terms.

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is sensible. My salary is 100% paid for by federal taxes and borrowing as a government contractor; I personally believe the only thing that separates me from someone collecting welfare is that I at least try to produce something in return for my income.

As a practical matter, there's little difference, of course - trying to produce anything for the government is usually blocked by the government itself in some way. I'm little better than a high-paid welfare recipient in real terms.

Well to be fair, other welfare receipiants produce something as well. Babies.

So my taxes go to supporting your 30,000+ posts.

Suddenly the money wasted on No Child Left Behind doesn't look so bad.

So my taxes go to supporting your 30,000+ posts.

Suddenly the money wasted on No Child Left Behind doesn't look so bad.

Probably only about half of them. The other half the time, your taxes are supporting my importing documents no one reads into an online document management system that not only has no one ever used but they're talking about getting rid of (okay, actually only 6 of the 23 project managers are talking about ditching it)...and believe me when I say that my salary is a pitifully small portion of the millions of dollars they've wasted on this stupid thing. It's actually expected that in one month I'll have something to do...and in a month and a half, the project will be cancelled, rendering anything I do moot, so that if I don't work, no one will notice.

And imagine how I feel about the irony of paying taxes on my salary paid to me out of the taxes I'm paying on the salary I'm getting for not doing anything. I love government contracting. :blink:

Probably only about half of them. The other half the time, your taxes are supporting my importing documents no one reads into an online document management system that not only has no one ever used but they're talking about getting rid of (okay, actually only 6 of the 23 project managers are talking about ditching it)...and believe me when I say that my salary is a pitifully small portion of the millions of dollars they've wasted on this stupid thing. It's actually expected that in one month I'll have something to do...and in a month and a half, the project will be cancelled, rendering anything I do moot, so that if I don't work, no one will notice.

And imagine how I feel about the irony of paying taxes on my salary paid to me out of the taxes I'm paying on the salary I'm getting for not doing anything. I love government contracting. :blink:

Where the hell do i fall in? The government pays me (state), but the money they use to pay me comes from a privately funded source.

And imagine how I feel about the irony of paying taxes on my salary paid to me out of the taxes I'm paying on the salary I'm getting for not doing anything. I love government contracting. :beer:

Thats sad. In a way thats why I became a moderate. I am liberal in a lot of ways but I hate big government and their wasteful ways. Talk about conflicted. I feel for you after those posts as I have worked for a company where the left hand not only didn't know what the right hand was doing, but actively fought them despite it's ignorance.

I am glad that the small company I work for (about 200 employees in the home office) is privately owned and receives no government contracts. I am not saying it runs like a well oiled machine but man things get done. And when they are the wrong things they usually reverse course.

Thats sad. In a way thats why I became a moderate. I am liberal in a lot of ways but I hate big government and their wasteful ways. Talk about conflicted. I feel for you after those posts as I have worked for a company where the left hand not only didn't know what the right hand was doing, but actively fought them despite it's ignorance.

I think its necessary to keep the economy in balance. The government redistributes the wealth so people can buy things, businesses can sell things and hire workers and the world can keep turning