Whaddya think of this mock

BillsVet

What you all don't seem to get is that what I said was Hargrove can play DT if necessary. He is a #4 DE (i.e. Depth, who can provide more depth for the DT's) They have their 2 starting DE's Schobel and Kelsay, with Denney as a Backup with Hargrove. (That gives the Bills 4 players at a position that only 2 see the field at a time)

As for DT, Buffalo has Tripplett, Walker and McCargo, all pretty much the starters in a rotation. Williams is also in the rotation, and they still have Anderson (yes I know that he is not the best, but hes depth right now with experience) That gives them 5 players at another position where only 2 see the field at a time with another player that can also play DT if it becomes absolutly necessary (Hargrove) Adding more players will only tie up more roster spots on the team, and cause them to use up more valuable resources. You would prefer they draft a backup DE/DT then a LB or RB who would become the starter?

I've said it in a couple posts today, The Cover 2 does not require the DT's to stop the run like most conventional defences, they are supposed to penetrate and get into the backfield to disrupt plays from happening. The LB's are the ones that are supposed to get to the LOS and stop the run if the DT's couldn't disrupt it in the backfield. Fletcher couldn't do this, he made the tackles too far downfield and thats why he was aloud to walk. Indy had a run D as bad as Buffalo until their one LB came back from injury around the playoffs, then like magic, they were able to stop the run. thats why the Cover 2 systems use smaller, quicker DT's

Tim Anderson may make the roster, but it will only be for Depth purposes, he won't see the field unless the Bills become hit with some injuries to the D-line

No, the Cover-2 isn't there to stop the run in a classical sense, but if you let teams go for 140 per game you're not going to be very successful. I don't care what kind of offense you have, they won't be getting on the field. Let's not forget so quickly how poor the run defense was. The fortunes of the team have too much riding on how we play the run.

Hargrove's spot as a pass-rushing DT now belongs to D. Walker. I recall reading Walker being a pass-rushing type DT who can come in on obvious passing downs. We no longer need Hargrove to fill that role for us, which makes him revert to being a backup DE.

Do not underestimate the DT's in this defense. I personally believe they are the most important part of the defense. Everything is a lot easier for the LB's and DB's if they play well and control the middle LOS. You can have the fastest LB in the league, but he's still going to make a lot of down-field tackles if the DT's can't do their job.

Your assessment of the Cover-2 is severely lacking btw. Perhaps a check of another website is in order.

McShay has his complete 7 round mock draft...he's got us going with the following:

1 (12) Patrick Willis LB Ole Miss

2 (43) Antonio Pittman RB Ohio St

3a(74) Tim Shaw LB Penn St

3b(92) Tarell Brown CB Texas

4 (111) Kareem Brown DE Miami

6 (184) Le'Ron McClain FB Alabama

7a (222) David Ball WR New Hampshire

7b (239) Anthony Pudewell TE Nevada

I really like it. I really do, except for one little thing. Rather not have anyone affiliated with the "U." Aside from that, we address some needs and get some potentially strong performers. Then again, who knows. Thoughts?

It started great, and ended great. You get the best LB in the draft, the best receiving RB in Day 1 (IMHO), then Penn State's fastest LB for a solid 1-3a. I feel one of our first 3 picks will be a CB, though, so I'd take Fred Bennett at 3a instead of Shaw. Tarrell Brown has "significant character concerns", so he's not coming to Buffalo. DE isn't the next need so in RD#4, so take Ball here, as he will be gone later. We also won't be taking the FB because of Levy's comments today. Like Pudewell, but they say Matt Trannon is a great TE/WR pick, so how about him instead?