Who is doing a better talent evaluation job

We all know that Marv is using consensus with DJ, his coaches and either Modrak or Guy to to make decisions on whom to acquire or draft. Who do you think is providing the best data to make decisions on players.

Modrak-He has a talent pool in the thousands if he covers most of the Divsions levels and regions. He must look at stats and combine results, reports from scouts, watch and in some cases interview players and their coaches himself. He must then put all the data together, determine heart/desire and put a recommendation list on who this team should draft. I'm sure there is plenty more in his job description but I'm trying to keep it short. The recommendation along with other valuators must then make the biggest decision on whether that person who excells in college can make the jump and succeed in the NFL, especially on high choices. You cannot miss on a #4 overall ( M. Williams) or first day picks even though we all know the draft is a crap shoot.

Guy- He has a lesser pool of talent to keep an eye on. Granted, Free Agency is a year round and dynamic ebb and flow of players. He must look at UFA, RFA, the waiver wire,rumored happenings, AFL, NFL Eupopa, Canadian and any player currently not on an NFL roster as well those on practice squads. The one advantage he has over Modak is players who have played in the NFL and he has more NFL data to work with. Again, this is a simplistic job description. Just because a player played on a playoff team doesn't mean he will succeed on our team in our system. ( Reyes, Bowen,).

In general, both talent evaluators may be doing an adequate job but the final decision makers make them look good or bad. I feel TD in his infinite wisdom and desire to continuously be in the news showing his smarter than you attiude, made gambles rather than the safe, under the radar moves Marv makes. TD was an autocratic GM vs Marv the consensus maker. The last big variable is the coaches and I think we all agree that Marv is getting better feedback and recommendations for better decision making.

The one constant we have is our scouting staffs for both are the same. If I had to make a guess on who is doing a better job, and it is a guess when you realize the variables ( autocratic vs consensus, coaching input) , Guy did a better when TD was here and Modrak is better now. I don't know why our FA's (last year) have not done well and I hope it changes this year. That may be due to a decision to fill depth with mostly 2nd tier FA's. Modrak doing a better job is good because Marv is holding to his word by building through the draft. Guy better be right on L. Walker and hopefully Tripplet comes around because we paid 1st tier dollars for them.

Too many variables to make a pick? Just a gut feeling on my part. Any other variables? Your thoughts

I think that's pretty much an impossible question to answer. The evaluations can only go so far, and then the GM and the coaches choose from what these guys say, not do what these guys say. Last year, it would seem that the drafting went better than the free agency. But those same players may reverse roles this year. Tripplet and Royal and Fowler may have good seasons. The draft guys in this coming draft may not perform as well as Dockery and the two Walkers. Prior to Marv, neither the draft nor the free agency excelled, although they both produced some pretty good players (and we all know that TD was a despot and made all final decisions anyway). There is no way of knowing who is doing a better job right now between those two.

I think that's pretty much an impossible question to answer. The evaluations can only go so far, and then the GM and the coaches choose from what these guys say, not do what these guys say. Last year, it would seem that the drafting went better than the free agency. But those same players may reverse roles this year. Tripplet and Royal and Fowler may have good seasons. The draft guys in this coming draft may not perform as well as Dockery and the two Walkers. Prior to Marv, neither the draft nor the free agency excelled, although they both produced some pretty good players (and we all know that TD was a despot and made all final decisions anyway). There is no way of knowing who is doing a better job right now between those two.

Agreed -- it's really apples and oranges. You could argue that scouting NFL talent is easier since you have a larger body of work to evaluate. There is less "guess work" so to speak.

To me, the guy with the toughest job is Overdorf who has to deal with the cap. That is the guy who I believe makes more of an impact. He has to figure out who they can get and at what cost, plus factor in the long term decisions for the franchise (is Dockery worth two or three Duke Prestons? Okay, bad example but you get the drift).