Seriously now.....Can anyone help?

Hotwire or any of the other sites like that to book HOTEL rooms? You know, the sites where they give you the price and rating of the hotel, but not the hotel's name until you actually pay for it?

Have any of you?

And also, for instance, if you have.....a 3 1/2 star hotel on Hotwire......do any of you know what type of hotel that may usually be? What brands are in what star ratings. I'm scared to pull the trigger. I need assurance!

Like, what are the 5 stars, 4 stars, 3 1/2 stars etc???

Please help.

Thanks

CVB

No! But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :huh:

Hotwire or any of the other sites like that to book HOTEL rooms?  You know, the sites where they give you the price and rating of the hotel, but not the hotel's name until you actually pay for it?

Have any of you?

And also, for instance, if you have.....a 3 1/2 star hotel on Hotwire......do any of you know what type of hotel that may usually be?  What brands are in what star ratings.  I'm scared to pull the trigger.  I need assurance!

Like, what are the 5 stars, 4 stars, 3 1/2 stars etc???

Please help.

Thanks

CVB

69023[/snapback]

i use price line most times best prices. this weekend staying at the doubletree in buffalo paid $50 per night sat and sun .staying at the hyatt regency nov 7 $ 60 then buffalo niagara marriott oct 30- 31 sat. and sunday $64 per night .allways start with 4 star and one area then expand .

I've tried Priceline.com a couple times. It worked terrifically well once. II got a Four Points Sheraton in the Philadelphia metro area for under $50 a few years back. I tried it for Rochester, NY and got nothing. I am not sure if the difference was timing or location, but I suspect it was the latter.

BTW, the more conventional hotel booking sites are all pretty much from a cookie cutter. If you check Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets and others for the same location, you'll get the same prices quoted. We decided to take a vacation in Hawaii in 2003. I started looking in January for hotels and airfare. We checked the usual sites and got discouraged. It looked like a conspiracy to keep prices high. Then I started doing internet searches appart from the usual sites. I found a website that acts as a booking agent for rentals, condos and hotels, which offered a two room suite at the Ohanna Waikiki West Hotel for $125 per night. I couldn't get a single room for that price anywhere else. I was nervous when we went to Hawaii that the price was too good to be true, and it would turn out to be a bogus company or something. We got there, however, and it was as advertized. The rooms were not the newest in Waikiki, but they were clean, roomy, had kitchen facilities and a safe. We were ecstatic.

I did a search for airfare on Expedia. I found airfares changed froom week to week. When Continental had an airfare sale, I jumped on it, but booked airfare on Continental's own website and saved an extra $5 per seat. By doing a ton of research and getting a little lucky, I figured out that we saved about $2700 on airfare and hotel.

I've tried Priceline.com a couple times.  It worked terrifically well once.  II got a Four Points Sheraton in the Philadelphia metro area for under $50 a few years back.  I tried it for Rochester, NY and got nothing.    I am not sure if the difference was timing or location, but I suspect it was the latter.

69256[/snapback]

Suposedly, from what I'm doing research wise on the two......when priceline says you'll get a 4 star hotel, you usually get one. When hotline says you get a 4 star hotel, you pretty much get a 3 star priceline hotel from it.

Hotwire also supposedly has some pretty crappy hotels in their 1 and 2 star lineups. Damn I'm scared to pull the trigger.

Don't know if I should be or not, but I just am!

Both Priceline and Hotwire are great ways for booking hotels and cars. I'm not sold on booking a flight only because you aren't guaranteed times with those. I don't have a preference either way but I have used both and find them more than accomodating. Priceline tends to give you a little more bang for your buck, ie: 3 star is at least a better than average 3 star, if not 4 star. Hotwire narrows down the locations better than Priceline. I dont think I will ever book through the hotel sites again unless I have to be in one particular location. Hotiwre and Priceline are the way to go. I have never heard of anyone that I know, that uses them, disappointed with either.

For Priceline, try checking out this message board first, before bidding on a room...

Bidding For Travel

Previous posters will put up what they got for prices at hotels, and some even do reviews of where they stayed.

My experience with Priceline was getting a room near the Inner Harbor in Baltimore on a weekend, for $60/night. Rack rate was about $160 night.