Tennessee still talking to San Diego about Turner.

The deadline for another team to sign a restricted free agent is April 20, although a trade could be completed after that date.

Turner has visited the Titans and Bills.

I think something is in the works....I'm thinking like a draft day trade with San Diego....if player A is not there at 12 or we can't get him we trade x to SD for Turner. Its weird how we haven't herd anything about the Turner visit. Queit....tooo Queit....

I'm sure Buffalo is talking with them also, unless they've decided they don't want him. Offer your second straight up and throw in Roscoe Parrish if needed.

I think people under estimate Parrish. He will be a bigger part of this offense, especially if the line can hold their blocker longer for Losman to throw to Parrish....Parrish will be used more in the slot this year.

The deadline for another team to sign a restricted free agent is April 20, although a trade could be completed after that date.

I think something is in the works....I'm thinking like a draft day trade with San Diego....if player A is not there at 12 or we can't get him we trade x to SD for Turner. Its weird how we haven't herd anything about the Turner visit. Queit....tooo Queit....

I don't know how its going to work if they don't trade for him before the April 20th deadline. Before then they are free to sign him to whatever they can agree on, after that, they have to give him what he was tendered for, then work out a new deal. I guess it depends on if the Bills like the number he was tendered and are willing to pay him that this year, and then try to work out an extension (when can they work out an extension? Don't they have to wait til a certain date to do that if he is already signed?)

I can see a team having to make a deal before the 20th. And I can only see the price getting steeper if they wait til draft day. The only way I see the price going down is if Peterson is there when the Bills pick, cause then they can go to AJ and say, we'll give you this, or we'll take the Rookie. Otherwise AJ has the upper hand because with peterson gone, thats one less available RB. The Bills will then have to start throwing in next years picks or more picks later in this years draft. Right now there is a chance you will overpay a little at the moment, but if AP is gone at 12, and Turner is the real deal, in hindsight the deal could wind up being a steal for Buffalo.

I can guarantee that whatever does happen, theres going to be many posters that disagree with it and bombard the board with how they would have done it and how that would have been a better solution

I don't know how its going to work if they don't trade for him before the April 20th deadline. Before then they are free to sign him to whatever they can agree on, after that, they have to give him what he was tendered for, then work out a new deal.

I didn't think they are worried about the April 20th deadline - it was my understanding that if they signed him as a RFA and San Diego didn't match, it would cost the Bills a 1st and a 3rd draft pick - which is more that we are willing to give.

If a trade happens, I'm sure it will be contingent on a new contract for Turner.

I don't know how its going to work if they don't trade for him before the April 20th deadline. Before then they are free to sign him to whatever they can agree on, after that, they have to give him what he was tendered for, then work out a new deal. I guess it depends on if the Bills like the number he was tendered and are willing to pay him that this year, and then try to work out an extension (when can they work out an extension? Don't they have to wait til a certain date to do that if he is already signed?)

I think it's the other way around. April 20 is the deadline for standard RFA signings, meaning you must pay the 1st and 3rd.

I don't think Apr 20 affects the trading option, though.

I think it's the other way around. April 20 is the deadline for standard RFA signings, meaning you must pay the 1st and 3rd.

I don't think Apr 20 affects the trading option, though.

I'm not saying it affects the trading option, just that by April 20th I believe the players have to sign the deal they were tendered. So that means he would come to Buffalo with a contract already in place. If they trade for him before, he comes over without a contract (but Buffalo gets his rights) so they could negotiate a new deal. What I was asking is that if he signs the deal, is there any restrictions as to when buffalo can start talking about re-signing him kind of like in the NHL this year where the Sabres couldn't re-negotiate with Briere until after January 1st

I can see a team having to make a deal before the 20th. And I can only see the price getting steeper if they wait til draft day. The only way I see the price going down is if Peterson is there when the Bills pick, cause then they can go to AJ and say, we'll give you this, or we'll take the Rookie. Otherwise AJ has the upper hand because with peterson gone, thats one less available RB. The Bills will then have to start throwing in next years picks or more picks later in this years draft. Right now there is a chance you will overpay a little at the moment, but if AP is gone at 12, and Turner is the real deal, in hindsight the deal could wind up being a steal for Buffalo.

I think you have it backwards.

AJ is under the gun to get Turner traded before the draft.

If he trades him after the 2007 draft he won't get any resopurces back that he can use this year to replace Turner or otherwise supplement their Super Bowl run. The best he gets are some 2008 picks.

The Bills can wait until after the draft - if they don't draft a top notch back - they can re-open discussions with Chris Brown and call Miami about Rickly Williams while discussing the matter with AJ.

I think you have it backwards.

AJ is under the gun to get Turner traded before the draft.

If he trades him after the 2007 draft he won't get any resopurces back that he can use this year to replace Turner or otherwise supplement their Super Bowl run. The best he gets are some 2008 picks.

The Bills can wait until after the draft - if they don't draft a top notch back - they can re-open discussions with Chris Brown and call Miami about Rickly Williams while discussing the matter with AJ.

But waiting til after the draft only ups the price because theres less players available. Supply and Demand. Everyone knows Buffalo needs a top notch back so they know Buffalo is a little desperate if they don't get a decent one in the draft that can play (and start) this year. AJ can always hold Turner til the deadline and deal him to a team that loses a RB early, or finds they need one to make the push for the playoffs (maybe someone like the Giants become interested)

Its better if AJ gets something now for him, but its not absolutely necessary, getting something in next years draft is almost as good because he is still getting something for a player that will probably end up leaving in the offseason. The key to it is that it hinges on how desperate AJ is to get something for him for this season over keeping him as LTs backup and making another SB run. I don't think he's desperate to sell, he knows he holds the upperhand until the trade deadline passes

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../704130415/1027

I never saw anything about Buffalo after Turner visited. I wonder what happened there.

Maybe they confirmed that he is the clone of Kenny Davis.

Good runner but severely lacking in the other aspects critical to being a feature back, like blocking, blitz recognition, blitz pickup, pass routes, pass receiving, intelligence

thus waiting for the price to come down to a 3rd round pick as draft day approaches

But waiting til after the draft only ups the price because theres less players available. Supply and Demand. Everyone knows Buffalo needs a top notch back so they know Buffalo is a little desperate if they don't get a decent one in the draft that can play (and start) this year. AJ can always hold Turner til the deadline and deal him to a team that loses a RB early, or finds they need one to make the push for the playoffs (maybe someone like the Giants become interested)

Its better if AJ gets something now for him, but its not absolutely necessary, getting something in next years draft is almost as good because he is still getting something for a player that will probably end up leaving in the offseason. The key to it is that it hinges on how desperate AJ is to get something for him for this season over keeping him as LTs backup and making another SB run. I don't think he's desperate to sell, he knows he holds the upperhand until the trade deadline passes

SanDiego is not desperat to sell - but the Bills are not desperate to buy either.

They have other options to fill their RB hole.

SD's leverage with the Bills drops after the draft, because the Bills will obtain a back on day 1 who should at a minimum fit into a RBBC.

In addition to that rookie, they can pursue Chris Brown, Corey Dillon, Ricky Williams to fill out their RBBC - so they aren't desperate for Turner.

After the draft, AJ gets nothing to help him this year- plus he has to replace Turner as LT's backup

It's a buyers market. AJ may huff and puff about what he wants, but his trading partners will just say "Sorry...that's too much. We'll draft a RB instead."

Smith may have more leverage after the draft, if teams don't get a quality RB, but that scenario won't help him much with his 2007 needs.

Maybe they confirmed that he is the clone of Kenny Davis.

Good runner but severely lacking in the other aspects critical to being a feature back, like blocking, blitz recognition, blitz pickup, pass routes, pass receiving, intelligence

thus waiting for the price to come down to a 3rd round pick as draft day approaches

I doubt that's the case. He may be that type of player, but the Bills would have long since known it and would've had no reason to bring him in unless they were OK with it. The most likely explanation is that either Turner or the Chargers (or both) simply want more than what the Bills are willing to give up in exchange. Considering how long Turner has been on the trade block, as well as all the activity at the RB position in FA a few weeks back, I think a deal would've already happened somewhere if either the Chargers' or Turner's demands weren't exorbitant.

And while I'm not a big believer in the pre-draft smokescreen stuff, that may be the case here. The Bills may be trying to convince a few teams that they're unwilling to use a #1 pick at RB and thereby reduce the odds that someone trades ahead of them.

I see no way that Buffalo comes out of the upcoming draft without a topnotch running back that can play. Either AJ will be reasonable and we make a trade sometime in the next two weeks or on draft day for Michael Turner, or we will draft at least one running back who will be a major part of the offense. I believe the Bills are very interested in Michael Turner, but will only trade for him if the price is right.

AJ Smith is a weird cat. He is good at bringing in talent as shown by San Diego's recent record. However, I do not think he fosters the best environment between coaches, players and management with his brusque style. (suspending Antonio Gates for 2005 opener, power struggle with Marty, losing all of his assistant coaches, letting Drew Brees go ) It will be very interesting how the Michael Turner situation ends up playing out.

SanDiego is not desperat to sell - but the Bills are not desperate to buy either.

They have other options to fill their RB hole.

SD's leverage with the Bills drops after the draft, because the Bills will obtain a back on day 1 who should at a minimum fit into a RBBC.

In addition to that rookie, they can pursue Chris Brown, Corey Dillon, Ricky Williams to fill out their RBBC - so they aren't desperate for Turner.

After the draft, AJ gets nothing to help him this year- plus he has to replace Turner as LT's backup

I do agree with some of what your saying.

SD is not Desperate to sell, and the bills might not be desperate to buy (although I think they are)

The Bills probably will draft a RB day 1, but are they going to be the answer, who knows. (just like its not completly known that Turner is the answer)

The bills could pursue the others you have listed but they are a step down from Turner or the rookies.

- Brown has about as much experience as Turner, but he has a reputation of not being able to stay healthy. Tenn doesn't seem interested in bringing him back and that leads me to believe he might not be what people hope he would be.

- Corey Dillon is over the hill right now and would be a #2 back, we already have a better option for that on the roster in A-Train

- Ricky Williams is the only other that might be a better option over a rookie/Turner, but with his past, and the fact he's a Dolphin, probably keep him out of Buffalo. I don't see Miami giving up a good starting RB to help the Bills. (People questioned NE trading Drew Bledsoe to Buffalo and he was starting to decline) Ricky is too much of a headcase for the Bills staff to want to bring in.

The key to the deal is AJ. How desperate is he to sell? Does he have a problem letting Turner walk next year? (they did it already to Brees, Buffalo did it to Nate) Is AJ looking for something for this year?

Either way, I don't see the price dropping if Peterson is taken before 12 and the Bills don't select Lynch at 12.

I do agree with some of what your saying.

SD is not Desperate to sell, and the bills might not be desperate to buy (although I think they are)

The Bills probably will draft a RB day 1, but are they going to be the answer, who knows. (just like its not completly known that Turner is the answer)

The bills could pursue the others you have listed but they are a step down from Turner or the rookies.

- Brown has about as much experience as Turner, but he has a reputation of not being able to stay healthy. Tenn doesn't seem interested in bringing him back and that leads me to believe he might not be what people hope he would be.

- Corey Dillon is over the hill right now and would be a #2 back, we already have a better option for that on the roster in A-Train

- Ricky Williams is the only other that might be a better option over a rookie/Turner, but with his past, and the fact he's a Dolphin, probably keep him out of Buffalo. I don't see Miami giving up a good starting RB to help the Bills. (People questioned NE trading Drew Bledsoe to Buffalo and he was starting to decline) Ricky is too much of a headcase for the Bills staff to want to bring in.

The key to the deal is AJ. How desperate is he to sell? Does he have a problem letting Turner walk next year? (they did it already to Brees, Buffalo did it to Nate) Is AJ looking for something for this year?

Either way, I don't see the price dropping if Peterson is taken before 12 and the Bills don't select Lynch at 12.

I think the Bills would be just fine with either Irons or Pitman.

Let me throw another team's name in the mix for Turner that I haven't heard mentioned. Cleveland. They could grab Quinn or T Joe Thomas with their 1st rd pick and surrender their 2nd rd pick (#36) for Turner. This is of course if AJ is willing to part with Turner for a early 2nd rder.

I think if Peterson is gone before 12 (pretty likely) and no one else has made a trade for Turner, then Marv will pull the trigger either for this year's second or a third this year and a 3rd next year (same price as macgahee, a 1000+ back)

I doubt that's the case. He may be that type of player, but the Bills would have long since known it and would've had no reason to bring him in unless they were OK with it. The most likely explanation is that either Turner or the Chargers (or both) simply want more than what the Bills are willing to give up in exchange. Considering how long Turner has been on the trade block, as well as all the activity at the RB position in FA a few weeks back, I think a deal would've already happened somewhere if either the Chargers' or Turner's demands weren't exorbitant.

And while I'm not a big believer in the pre-draft smokescreen stuff, that may be the case here. The Bills may be trying to convince a few teams that they're unwilling to use a #1 pick at RB and thereby reduce the odds that someone trades ahead of them.

I'm not so sure about that(bold).....there is a chance......very small but quite possible that Peterson drops to 12. There may well be a tentative deal already in place....i.e. "If Peterson is drafted before #12, we'll trade X & Y for Turner." My guess, either way, is that Turner will be part of a trade on day one of the draft.