Imus Simulcast dropped by MSNBC

millbank

Imus Dropped

MSNBC has canceled its "Imus in the Morning" simulcast, the network announced Wednesday.

The decision comes following remarks deemed racist and sexist that radio talk-show host Don Imus made last week about the Rutgers women's basketball team that prompted a number of advertisers to drop the program.

The NBC News statement said:

"This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees. What matters to us most is that the men and women of NBC Universal have confidence in the values we have set for this company. This is the only decision that makes that possible. Once again, we apologize to the women of the Rutgers basketball team and to our viewers. We deeply regret the pain this incident has caused."

Earlier Wednesday, a member of CBS Corp.'s board of directors said Imus should be fired.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imus Dropped

MSNBC has canceled its "Imus in the Morning" simulcast, the network announced Wednesday.

The decision comes following remarks deemed racist and sexist that radio talk-show host Don Imus made last week about the Rutgers women's basketball team that prompted a number of advertisers to drop the program.

The NBC News statement said:

"This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees. What matters to us most is that the men and women of NBC Universal have confidence in the values we have set for this company. This is the only decision that makes that possible. Once again, we apologize to the women of the Rutgers basketball team and to our viewers. We deeply regret the pain this incident has caused."

Earlier Wednesday, a member of CBS Corp.'s board of directors said Imus should be fired.

And the walls come tumbling down. Poor Imus. He is truly a victim of PC gone amok. PUH-LEEZE.

Ridiculous. Turn on any "satirical" radio program or comedy show and you'll find something just as offensive to someone. Imus has had characters on his show has continually skewered every demographic (including white guys) for years. Hell, every nearly every rap song is worse.

In other news Jesse Jackson has been given a nobel peace prize for lynching those rapists from Duke......

Oh Wait!!!

They didn't do it.

Any apology coming from Jesse...... doubt it

Too funny...Robert Johson (BET) just said if he said this about Jews, he'd have been off the next day. LOL.

That's ridiculous. Everyone knows the Jews don't have nappy hair and make terrible hos.

"Hey, baby...how much for an hour?"

"Oy, darling, please, like you could afford me?"

Too funny...Robert Johson (BET) just said if he said this about Jews, he'd have been off the next day. LOL.

Say what, that a jewish basketball team is a bunch of nappy haired ho's? Or something more salacious like calling someone, a "boner-nosed, beanie-wearing Jew boy?" Oh wait, he said that more than a day ago. And the world is still flat.

The funniest part about the whole thing is that rabid liberals are saying that the wacko religious right will protect Imus, while the ultra conservative cooks will blame the massive left wing media conspiracy for him keeping his job. Unless, of course he's fired by CBS, when they will selfcredit their partisans' great work in getting their enemy off the air.

Congratulations. The victory is theirs.

DJ Fired for telling listeners to repeat Imus remarks

Gary Smith told WSBG-FM listeners to call and say "I'm a nappy-headed ho" for Tuesday's "Phrase that Pays" contest, said Rick Musselman, executive vice president of station owner Nassau Broadcasting Partners L.P.

Musselman said three of the listeners who called were awarded tickets to a NASCAR promotion at a local club.

Station management reviewed a tape of the broadcast of the "Gary in the Morning" show and fired Smith, Musselman said.

Musselman said that Smith was fired and not suspended because he uttered the slur in a premeditated manner, "with full knowledge of the reaction to Don Imus' use of the exact same phrase."

DJ Fired for telling listeners to repeat Imus remarks

Gary Smith told WSBG-FM listeners to call and say "I'm a nappy-headed ho" for Tuesday's "Phrase that Pays" contest, said Rick Musselman, executive vice president of station owner Nassau Broadcasting Partners L.P.

Musselman said three of the listeners who called were awarded tickets to a NASCAR promotion at a local club.

Station management reviewed a tape of the broadcast of the "Gary in the Morning" show and fired Smith, Musselman said.

Musselman said that Smith was fired and not suspended because he uttered the slur in a premeditated manner, "with full knowledge of the reaction to Don Imus' use of the exact same phrase."

Politically correct bull sh-- makes me want to puke B-)

ditto B-):lol::w00t::D

I beleive in free speech and free will!

Then you should be quite happy. Those offended by what he said aired their complaints and his bosses exercised their free will by canning his ugly ass.

Then you should be quite happy. Those offended by what he said aired their complaints and his bosses exercised their free will by canning his ugly ass.

double standard. Duke players exonerated today. Guess what? The nappy haired black ho was a lying B word! Wheres the outrage?

double standard. Duke players exonerated today. Guess what? The nappy haired black ho was a lying B word! Wheres the outrage?

Perhaps you weren't watching TV today. I was and there was PLENTY of outrage. I'm guessing the DA's career just began a big downward spiral.

As for comparing Imus to a lying stripper...well, I think that's a good comparison. As far as I know MSNBC isn't giving her a show, either.

I understand those who may think political correctness has gone too far (I'm one of you). To you I say, pick a different case for your outrage. Imus is a multiple-repeat-offender (this is not an isolated case). He shamelessly insulted a group of young women playing for the NCAA National Championship. He has promised to the public and his bosses, to not repeat this behavior. Guess what? He lied. The only real crime, IMO, is that his bosses, who let him continue to air his bile, were not canned as well.

I know some here are programmed to think EVERYTHING Sharpton and Jesse support is wrong and should be mocked. Well, for the most part you are right. Public political types are usually concerned mostly self-serving with their causes (possibly even more so with public pseudo-religious political types). But, even the blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn, and in this case, I think they were right (though, possibly, for the wrong reason). Remember, Sharpton supplied Imus with a public platform for his (really terrible) apology.

If you said something like this at YOUR job...publicly, at a meeting or in front of clients, would you still have a job? What if you continued to do it after you were asked to stop and promised you boss that you would?

Actually there was a bit of outrage over this case on even the crazy ultra liberal Democratic Underground. The supporters of the black woman refused to acknoledge her at best and some even called for her to be arrested. Mind you a black stripper lying isnt as dramatic as a gang rape by priveleged white boys so dont expect the media to pick up on this too much.

Perhaps you weren't watching TV today. I was and there was PLENTY of outrage. I'm guessing the DA's career just began a big downward spiral.

As for comparing Imus to a lying stripper...well, I think that's a good comparison. As far as I know MSNBC isn't giving her a show, either.

I understand those who may think political correctness has gone too far (I'm one of you). To you I say, pick a different case for your outrage. Imus is a multiple-repeat-offender (this is not an isolated case). He shamelessly insulted a group of young women playing for the NCAA National Championship. He has promised to the public and his bosses, to not repeat this behavior. Guess what? He lied. The only real crime, IMO, is that his bosses, who let him continue to air his bile, were not canned as well.

I know some here are programmed to think EVERYTHING Sharpton and Jesse support is wrong and should be mocked. Well, for the most part you are right. Public political types are usually concerned mostly self-serving with their causes (possibly even more so with public pseudo-religious political types). But, even the blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn, and in this case, I think they were right (though, possibly, for the wrong reason). Remember, Sharpton supplied Imus with a public platform for his (really terrible) apology.

If you said something like this at YOUR job...publicly, at a meeting or in front of clients, would you still have a job? What if you continued to do it after you were asked to stop and promised you boss that you would?

Thank You. Could not have been put better.

I wonder how many of you actually listen or watch his show.

Oops. I wonder how many of you actually listened to or watched his show.

He's a satirist, not a church board member. I'll bet Howard Stern would have more class than to say something like that.

Well, he's also tail lights now. He'll have a hard time raising another $20 million for children's charities again. Say what you want about Imus, but every year for the past dozen years he's raised $2-3 Million for the CJ Foundation for Kids with Cancer, SIDS research and his ranch for kids with cancer.

A great irony here is that he kicked a couple of kids out of their week at his ranch for calling some of the young girls "ho's" about two years ago, and I think it was today and tomorrow the annual telethon was scheduled.

With Imus and his potential resurrection, we had a real chance to have a raw dialogue on race which would have benefited us all. Instead, we are more divided then ever and will remain so in the near term.