Whitner on Cold Pizza

Whitner was just on Cold Pizza (bout 1:30) talking about the draft. Mentioned that his advice to draftees this year was not to listen to the experts, bc if a team loves you, they will take you. Mentioned that he was talking with both Arizona and Detroit, so there was a good chance that he would have been gone had we tried to move down. Said he learned a lot from the veterans last year (Vincent, Fletcher and Clements) and that the coaches are going to expect him to be more of a leader and make more calls on the field this coming year. Good interview.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner was just on Cold Pizza (bout 1:30) talking about the draft. Mentioned that his advice to draftees this year was not to listen to the experts, bc if a team loves you, they will take you. Mentioned that he was talking with both Arizona and Detroit, so there was a good chance that he would have been gone had we tried to move down. Said he learned a lot from the veterans last year (Vincent, Fletcher and Clements) and that the coaches are going to expect him to be more of a leader and make more calls on the field this coming year. Good interview.

Yep, I saw that. I guess this finally puts the "we should have traded down and got him anyway" argument to bed, permanently, finally, forever. :w00t::thumbsup::oops:

Somehow, I doubt it.... B-)

We have a winner gentleman!!!

Fresh from this week's Peter King's MMQB:

"YOU FORGET ONE THING ABOUT THE BILLS IN THE DRAFT LAST YEAR. From Tom Hirliman of Chesapeake, Va.: "I find it interesting that this year it is OK to stand pat and not trade down. Last year, the Bills got killed in the media for not trading down. Call me crazy but maybe no one wanted to move up into their spot.''

Ah, but wait. Denver wanted to move up to the eighth spot, and Buffalo could have had the Broncos' No. 15 pick, still gotten safety Donte' Whitner of Ohio State and paid him less than they had to pay at No. 8. That was my only problem with the Bills' handling of their draft spot last year -- not drafting Whitner, who played very well as a rookie. Sometimes you win not only by getting the pick or picks from the trade-down, but also from paying the player less, which leaves you more cap room to sign additional players."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...0/mmqbte/1.html

Don't you just love all the backpeddling? First, it was a horrible pick. Then it was a 1/2 horrible pick and 1/2 taken too early. Now, it is just silence and STILL some taken too early crap.

He never said it was a horrible pick.

He said it was a good player that the Bills took too early.

He is right.

Don't you just love all the backpeddling? First, it was a horrible pick. Then it was a 1/2 horrible pick and 1/2 taken too early. Now, it is just silence and STILL some taken too early crap.

He never said it was a horrible pick.

He said it was a good player that the Bills took too early.

He is right.

So in your simple little mind, some scrub like jason allen at #15 is still "better" than Whitner at #8?

We have a winner gentleman!!!

Fresh from this week's Peter King's MMQB:

"YOU FORGET ONE THING ABOUT THE BILLS IN THE DRAFT LAST YEAR. From Tom Hirliman of Chesapeake, Va.: "I find it interesting that this year it is OK to stand pat and not trade down. Last year, the Bills got killed in the media for not trading down. Call me crazy but maybe no one wanted to move up into their spot.''

Ah, but wait. Denver wanted to move up to the eighth spot, and Buffalo could have had the Broncos' No. 15 pick, still gotten safety Donte' Whitner of Ohio State and paid him less than they had to pay at No. 8. That was my only problem with the Bills' handling of their draft spot last year -- not drafting Whitner, who played very well as a rookie. Sometimes you win not only by getting the pick or picks from the trade-down, but also from paying the player less, which leaves you more cap room to sign additional players."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...0/mmqbte/1.html

Good God I can't believe this is still being discussed... :worthy:

Anyway...Why can't a Media Guy like King understand that no matter how many times He says it, or any one else thinks it, The Bills did not believe Whitner would last more than another Pick or 2...It simply does not matter what anyone else thinks would have happened...The Bills were convinced they could not get Whitner by Trading Down, and they wanted Whitner...That's it in a nutshell... :lol:

Good God I can't believe this is still being discussed... :worthy:

Anyway...Why can't a Media Guy like King understand that no matter how many times He says it, or any one else thinks it, The Bills did not believe Whitner would last more than another Pick or 2...It simply does not matter what anyone else thinks would have happened...The Bills were convinced they could not get Whitner by Trading Down, and they wanted Whitner...That's it in a nutshell... :lol:

I don't care where a guy is picked. If he starts as a rookie, plays well and looks lke a starter for years to come, then he's a great pick.

Nope. The problem is that in your simple little mind, drafting a safety in round 1 was a necessity.

Chad Greenway was a great linebacking prospect. So was Bobby Carpenter -- and either or would have made the loss of Spikes a lot easier to swallow.

If we drafted Davin Joseph, perhaps we don't NEED to spend the richest contract in NFL history on a guard.

Tamba Hali could have improved the pass rush opposite Schobel.... you can never have enough pass rushers.

But the reality of the situation is that no matter what Whitner said on Cold Pizza, he probably would have been available at 15. The Cardinals were targetting Whitner over Leinart when they have a gaping hole at QB and are moving into a new stadium??? Bullschitt.

So in your simple little mind, some scrub like jason allen at #15 is still "better" than Whitner at #8?

Mike Williams started as a rookie.

Robert Gallery started as a rookie.

Sometimes, when you are paid the big bucks, MONEY dictates whether or not you start.

Whitner is a starter. Is he worth top-8 money? Probably not. Time will tell, but history has shown that safeties like Whitner can be found later.

I don't care where a guy is picked. If he starts as a rookie, plays well and looks lke a starter for years to come, then he's a great pick.

No, based on the following:

a) Drafting a "solid starter" at safety with a top 10 pick is stupid. Roy Williams? Sean Taylor? Polamolu? Fine... Whitner is not in their class and I don't think he will be.

b) The team had numerous needs... safety was merely one of them. So in the off chance they traded down and lost out on Whitner, there were plenty of other quality players to be had in what was one of the deepest drafts in years.

c) Accepting that trade would have netted the team another first day pick -- again, this was a deep draft. Pigeon-holing themselves to Whitner cost them in the way of opportunity.

d) Good safeties like Whitner can be found late. The Jets got a guy named Kerry Rhodes in the 4th round in 2005 who has turned into a budding star... the Patriots plug in nobodys at safety because they realize that DL and LB are far more important.

He is right????

Based on what? Mock drafts? :worthy:

a) Drafting a "solid starter" at safety with a top 10 pick is stupid. Roy Williams? Sean Taylor? Polamolu? Fine... Whitner is not in their class and I don't think he will be.

b) The team had numerous needs... safety was merely one of them. So in the off chance they traded down and lost out on Whitner, there were plenty of other quality players to be had in what was one of the deepest drafts in years.

c) Accepting that trade would have netted the team another first day pick -- again, this was a deep draft. Pigeon-holing themselves to Whitner cost them in the way of opportunity.

d) Good safeties like Whitner can be found late. The Jets got a guy named Kerry Rhodes in the 4th round in 2005 who has turned into a budding star... the Patriots plug in nobodys at safety because they realize that DL and LB are far more important.

I like Whitner a lot but I have to agree here. We could sure use someone like a Ngata now. Just see how much energy and resources we're expanding trying to shore up our run game. I don't think it was a dumb move necessarily, just not very prudent.

I really, really think Marv panicked once Huff was gone.

C

C'mon man, he didn't say that at all. :worthy:

Let me know when liking the 1st day of the 06 draft becomes mandatory, OK? :lol:

Approving the selection of Whitner is becoming about as mandatory as believing in Global Warming. I didn't believe the first was right and I'll never believe the latter is.

Can't Bills fans disagree with somethin Marv does? The criteria of just being a good player on an of-late below average NFL team isn't enough. A top-10 pick has to be a difference maker and while Whitner might become a fine player, a building team doesn't have the luxury of selecting a player at a position like safety. Some positions on an NFL football team take priority and safety isn't one of them. Not at least with a top-10 pick.

Thanks for your opinion. I'd prefer to wait for few more years to make this kind of statement.

This depends on how front office rates the players in each position and the gap between them. Bills seem to deem "Whitner+McCargo" as a better combination than "Bunckley/Ngata+a 2tier SS". (One thing funny is that people used Bunckley to criticize Whitner pick right after 2006 draft and they switch to use Ngata now)

See above

right, every 4th round SS will be a success and every 6th round QB will win you three superbowls... :worthy:

BTW, I don't see any of your statements explaining Whitner was picked too early? Where is the proof that Whitner would be available few picks later?

Whitner may never develop into an all-pro safety, but your willingness to write off the possibility (and therefore use it as justification for the bad pick argument) is interesting considering you seem to be giving the benefit of the doubt to two LBs who didn't do anything their rookie year.

Chad Greenway was a great linebacking prospect. So was Bobby Carpenter -- and either or would have made the loss of Spikes a lot easier to swallow.

Greenway was on IR the whole season and Booby Carpenter didn't record a tackle until Week 9. By that time Donte Whitner had about 50 tackles, a pick, some great pass breakups and an NFL Rookie of the Month award under his belt. Yet somehow his future is bleak and Carpenter could step in for Spikes?

And arguing that Whitner would have been available at 15 is like arguing that Doug Flutie would have been the Titans. Plausible theory, but no possible way to prove. Yet the tenacity and self-assuredness I've seen people argue both scenarios is impressive. But in the end, what's the point? We have what he have and being pissed about it is an exercise in futility.