Clothspinning their little mouths shut

Beats ritalin! :wallbash:

Teacher accused of using clothespins to quiet students suspended

From NBC4/Columbus 04/06/07

AMANDA, Ohio -- A Central Ohio substitute teacher is accused of taking extreme measures to quiet kindergarten students last week.

The Amanda-Clearcreek Primary School principal sent a letter home to parents about a kindergarten class after a substitute teacher clipped some students' mouths shut with clothespins, NBC 4's Tacoma Newsome reported.

Principal Mike Johnsen explained that the substitute teacher used spring-type clothespins on the lips of four boys as a consequence for excessive talking and not listening to her repeated requests to stop talking.

Johnsen said he spoke with the substitute teacher by phone and she confirmed the report. According to the letter, "this is not a practice for discipline that we use at Amanda-Clearcreek Primary." In total, the district said four children were disciplined by the substitute teacher on March 26.

Johnsen said he has made the superintendent aware of the situation and he supports his request to deny the substitute any further work at the school.

On Wednesday, school officials announced the teacher would be suspended from working in the Amanda-Clearcreek district.

One student's mother said if her son was being disruptive, he should have been sent to the office for discipline. "If he was talking uncontrollably, he should have been sent to the principal," said Danielle Lind.

NBC 4 spoke with the teacher in question and she denied the allegations, Newsome reported.".

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/apps/p...032/1002/NEWS01

What are these kids complaining about? When I went to St. Gregory the Great in Williamsville, Mrs. Glose used masking tape!

When I was a lad in the Bflo. public grade school, our elderly Principal, Mrs. Garber, would spank miscreants in the hall.

And it was a very rare occurance...the fear of such public mortification was more than sufficient to make us mind our manners. :wallbash:

When I was in public school the principal would take a leather strap and whack your hands up to 10 times each depending on the infraction. Even sometimes using a special solution to make it hurt more. My how times have changed.

[/quote}

Could your relate some factual incidents where this "solution" was used, and when?

Unless, you are just being a wise guy...

When I was in public school the principal would take a leather strap and whack your hands up to 10 times each depending on the infraction. Even sometimes using a special solution to make it hurt more. My how times have changed.

In eighth-grade shop class (1976), if you misbehaved, the teacher would make you empty your pockets, put them in the middle of a table, make you lean over to reach for them, and whack the living schitt out of your ass four or five times with what was essentially a wooden raquetball paddle like this..

When I was a boy in the middle ages, the head proctor used to bleed a couple steins of blood out of me with scandanavian jumpin' leeches when I couldn't recite the names of all the bodies humours correctly. They just don't do it like they used to these days! :thumbsup:

In eighth-grade shop class (1976), if you misbehaved, the teacher would make you empty your pockets, put them in the middle of a table, make you lean over to reach for them, and whack the living schitt out of your ass four or five times with what was essentially a wooden raquetball paddle like this..

The Paddle was a mainstay of the Jesuit education when I was in high school.

That people decry 'Girls Gone Wild' as the downfall of society while ignoring the fact that our society is obsessed with avoiding any discipline of children is simply laughable.

Well as long as the old coots are sharing stories of corporal punishment I might as well chime in. At North Junior High School (now defunct) in Niagara Falls, paddling was an everyday occurrence . And, in some ways, it became almost a...SPORT. Which teacher could paddle the most students. Which teacher could paddle certain students (sadly, I was one of those) the most. Who could hit the hardest. Who had the coolest paddle.

Well, they finally got made teachers get rid of the paddles with holes drilled in to increase "bat speed" so to speak...but they had their special tricks. As a frequent recipient of the paddle (I know, that's hard to believe...but, it was WAY better than going to detention) I developed a "move" to minimize the pain. It wasn't a flinch, but it did allow me to move my ass as soon as the paddle made contact (it was more like a flop). the teachers always suspected it, but couldn't figure it out.

My Social Studies teacher in 8th grade was Mr. Sage...Canadian, effete, lisping, spittle-spewing..but a really good teacher. Sage had a beautiful cherry wood paddle. When I passed the 50 paddle mark I got to etch my name into the wood. A real badge of honor there. :thumbsup:

A dim-witted science teacher, who was not a very "manly man" (and will go nameless as he still lives in the Falls) "lost" his paddle and resorted to using yard sticks..which didn't hurt and broke more often than not. He finally got a HUGE paddle. He thought it was SO cool. He didn't have the strength to use it properly. So, as a gift, I made him a little one-cheeker in wood shop. "Just hit on one side" I told him. I explained the paddle was strong enough for him to swing HARD, and that my applying all the pain to one ass cheek, it would be far more uncomfortable for the victim. The other "usual suspect" recipients were not happy with The Dean.

The Paddle was a mainstay of the Jesuit education when I was in high school.

That people decry 'Girls Gone Wild' as the downfall of society while ignoring the fact that our society is obsessed with avoiding any discipline of children is simply laughable.

In all seriousness, the simple fact is is that we live in a world today where corporal punishment just doesn't fly, whether or not you are for or against it. This is just the way it is. That being said, I also would agree that the demise of corporal punishment as a viable way to punish children doesn't mean that we should swing to the other side of the spectrum and let the kiddies run amok without stricture and discipline. There has to be a meeting point somewhere between beating the kids and foregoing all strong discipline for the sake of political correctness. You could make the argument, for example, that "Girls Gone Wild" would not be so popular if we ingrained in our children a certain self-respect and esteem that is based in respect for others and the natural fact that you must negotiate restriction and limitation in order to grow and thrive in any culture and society. How we do that exactly, of course, is the big question, and I don't have the complete answer, but it certainly requires parents to be much more active in their kids' lives, as opposed to dumping them in front of the TV or, the big one, being afraid to constantly communicate in a more open and honest manner what is expected, what is acceptable, what is not, and what the consequences will be for certain actions. Perhaps this is easy for me to say since I don't have the responsibility of a child and I understand that. But there is a middle ground here somewhere, it seems to me....

[/quote}

Could your relate some factual incidents where this "solution" was used, and when?

Unless, you are just being a wise guy...

No I wasn't being a wise guy and when I got home that night my Dad would paddle my ass again for getting in trouble at school. Infractions for getting the strap. Myself have been strapped for fighting in the school yard, destruction of school property, stabbed a kid in the leg with a compass point, giving a kid a wedgy, etc.

guess I'm old school. But if it was my boy was one of the 4, he would be getting punished at home as well.And, I would prolly call the teacher up, applaud her actions!

I wouldn't think that this story was particularly newsworthy if it wasn't for the age of the kids. They were in Kindergarten. Anybody working with kids that young has to have more patience than that.