Need help resolving a debate

Adam

Impeachment is NOT removal from office. Impeachment is basically indicting an official on charges. A trial for the offenses comes after Impeachment, and the result of that trial can include removal from office.

This is why Clinton was impeached but still remained in office, as he was Acquitted on trial.

I have no idea if double jeopardy applies. My guess would be it doesn't (as its not actually a federal court but a trial by the upper house of legislature) but I don't know for sure.

Impeachment is NOT removal from office. Impeachment is basically indicting an official on charges. A trial for the offenses comes after Impeachment, and the result of that trial can include removal from office.

This is why Clinton was impeached but still remained in office, as he was Acquitted on trial.

I have no idea if double jeopardy applies. My guess would be it doesn't (as its not actually a federal court but a trial by the upper house of legislature) but I don't know for sure.

What if Bush shot Cheney to death live on tv, would he be arrested by the police? Or would there have to be an impeachment proceeding?

What if Bush shot Cheney to death live on tv, would he be arrested by the police? Or would there have to be an impeachment proceeding?

I think Cheney would be charged with a crime and arrested by the Secret Service. He would probably be impeached as Vice President, as he would never be sworn in as president, and the Speaker of the House would be sworn in as president.