Amobi Okoye was in town yesterday--working out today

I wasn't talking about Okoye. Where did I mention Okoye? I was talking about Ngata. Okoye is a different style player than Ngata and Okoye is much more suited for a Cover-2 style DT. Do you think it is just coincidence that Marv and co. haven't signed any 340 lb. hold down the middle guys like Ted Washington to play DT? That they've gone after 295-310ish guys that are penetrator types? All I'm saying is that we look for a certain type of player. Okoye is that type of player. Ngata isn't.

And I also didn't say that a cover-2 DT is a guy who can rush the passer but not stop the run. That I didn't claim at all. You assumed that. I'm just saying that we look for a certain type of player at DT that is different from other schemes.

I'm reminded how John Rauch drafted OJ Simpson and insisted on playing him at flankerback because that fitted his "system". If we had taken Ngata (or kept Williams or Washington) and played standard defense or modified to accomodate for talent, and kept Vincent we' have had a very good pass rush off the ends and stopped the run up the middle. Our linebackers last year couldn't fit the bill with Cover 2 either (hence no playoffs). If we drafted Ngata and played within our existing talent envelope-10 and 8 and the playoffs. Water under the dam..and now I guess we have LB's who can play cover 2 and improved our DT position. Not as much as having Okoye would offer. If asked now...which would be better existing defense as of today with Willis or existing defense with Okoye...I'd go with the defense with Okoye. Ellison, Crowell and Wire as opposed to Ellison, Willis and Crowell at the backers.

I'm reminded how John Rauch drafted OJ Simpson and insisted on playing him at flankerback because that fitted his "system". If we had taken Ngata (or kept Williams or Washington) and played standard defense or modified to accomodate for talent, and kept Vincent we' have had a very good pass rush off the ends and stopped the run up the middle. Our linebackers last year couldn't fit the bill with Cover 2 either (hence no playoffs). If we drafted Ngata and played within our existing talent envelope-10 and 8 and the playoffs. Water under the dam..and now I guess we have LB's who can play cover 2 and improved our DT position. Not as much as having Okoye would offer. If asked now...which would be better existing defense as of today with Willis or existing defense with Okoye...I'd go with the defense with Okoye. Ellison, Crowell and Wire as opposed to Ellison, Willis and Crowell at the backers.

So your suggesting a rebuilding team should have kept an aging Safety and changed their defensive scheme they just decided to put in place (cause the coaches are comfortable with it) to suit a rookie with no NFL experience that has potential to be good?

So your suggesting a rebuilding team should have kept an aging Safety and changed their defensive scheme they just decided to put in place (cause the coaches are comfortable with it) to suit a rookie with no NFL experience that has potential to be good?

Well...actually they weren't "changing" a defensive scheme but just putting one in. I remember when Gregg Williams came in and "changed" a defensive scheme with a 3-4 that had been fairly successful. Every player in the NFL is "aging" unless someone has figured out a way to stop that. What I said was they would have gone to the playoffs. I'm not sold that a "scheme" in the abstract means much and the Cover-2 is the flavor of the month and its getting late in the month. Talenet and execution wins football games...not "schemes"

Well...actually they weren't "changing" a defensive scheme but just putting one in. I remember when Gregg Williams came in and "changed" a defensive scheme with a 3-4 that had been fairly successful. Every player in the NFL is "aging" unless someone has figured out a way to stop that. What I said was they would have gone to the playoffs. I'm not sold that a "scheme" in the abstract means much and the Cover-2 is the flavor of the month and its getting late in the month. Talenet and execution wins football games...not "schemes"

But what I'm saying is that the coaching staff, that is familiar with the Cover 2 and came in before the draft and decide to run the cover 2 in Buffalo and build a team around that scheme, should have changed this by the time the #8 pick came around because a player with no NFL experience but potential to be good was available, and we could have kept an old (better wording then aging I guess) Safety on the roster?

A "scheme" is what allows talent to execute on the football field against other talent executing another scheme. Every team plays under a "scheme", a philosophy of defense or offense, a way of organizing their players on the field and a method of being as successful as possible on offense and defense.