Top 50 Tech Products of All Time

/dev/null

yeah me neither. tho i'm close to breaking down and finally signing up

not sure if my Windows PC can handle it tho (2.0Ghz, 1GB RAM, 128MB Video)

Yeah that PC's fine. It plays smoothly on my shared-memory-video-card-macbook. WoW is a relatively easy going game. EQ or AO should have been in there as opposed to WoW I think.

Adaptec Easy CD Creator (1996) - Had, came with my first CD Burner

Apple II (1977) - used in Elementary and High school

Apple Airport Base Station (1999) - ripped a "dead" one apart for the PCMCIA wireless card inside

Atari VCS/2600 (1977) - had one, parents sent it to a Salvation Army type store a few years ago

Blizzard World of Warcraft (2004) - played

Brøderbund The Print Shop (1984) - had for my Commodore 64

CompuServe (1982) - former member

Hayes Smartmodem (1981) - used with my C64 to get on Compuserve

HP LaserJet 4L (1993) - fixed many in my years as a hardware tech

id Software Doom (1993) - played

Microsoft Windows 95 (1995) - resisted, eventually used when I had to for work

Motorola StarTAC (1996) - had one of the first ones, everyone at work had to check it out

Napster (1999) - used it

Netscape Navigator (1994) - used it

Spybot Search & Destroy (2000) - used it

Tetris (1985) - played it

WordPerfect 5.1 (1989) - used in college

Yeah that PC's fine. It plays smoothly on my shared-memory-video-card-macbook. WoW is a relatively easy going game. EQ or AO should have been in there as opposed to WoW I think.

Course you never actually really played WoW. <_<

Course you never actually really played WoW. <_<

That would be true! I exaggerated a bit earlier... not quite 15 minutes, I think I played up to level 6 or 7 and called it quits. I'm probably out of the MMORPG market as I can't find anything that's got that old-school EQ *hook*.

You know. Must Raid. I know it's 7 AM and I've got to be at work in an hour. Must Raid. Mus Ralksjlkr;32sfasdfasf (head hits keyboard).

I was worried about my specs too, but it played nice on this:

Machine Name: MacBook

Machine Model: MacBook1,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03

SMC Version: 1.4f12

Serial Number: 4H6380ZKVMN

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Chipset Model: GMA 950

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

If you're at or around that, it ought to purr. I've thought about trying it again, but can't bring myself to do it.

Jeff

If you're at or around that, it ought to purr. I've thought about trying it again, but can't bring myself to do it.

Jeff

Think there's a couple of us toying with the idea. Maybe we could all hook up

And Blue can PL us with his oober level 70 toon

I like PC World and always take "top lists" with a grain of salt. With that said, I was throughly unimpressed by Apple OS X. My Power Book G4 SUCKED! For less than 1/2 the price of the Apple (hell, way less), I have a SMOKIN' HP with Windows XP MCE.

But, a good list, nonetheless.

My favorite new things are Cooliris and Adblock Plus (yes, I know they aren't "new"...but, they are new for me).

I like PC World and always take "top lists" with a grain of salt. With that said, I was throughly unimpressed by Apple OS X. My Power Book G4 SUCKED! For less than 1/2 the price of the Apple (hell, way less), I have a SMOKIN' HP with Windows XP MCE.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::sick::angry:<_<:wallbash: :wallbash: :censored:

:lol:

(I had to defend my honor, them there's fighting words.)

But, a good list, nonetheless.

My favorite new things are Cooliris and Adblock Plus (yes, I know they aren't "new"...but, they are new for me).

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::sick::angry:<_<:wallbash: :wallbash: :censored:

:lol:

(I had to defend my honor, them there's fighting words.)

:o

It's on!

:D

:wallbash:

It's on!

:wallbash:

Was someone served? :wallbash:

I have no issue with Apple, except for my crappy experience with the G4 PowerBook with OSX. There were things I liked about it. though.

Same with my HP dv2000 with XP-MCE. There are things I would change (and can, and have).

Either way you get a flawed product. I think, with the HP, I have a better flawed product for FAR less $. And, with Windows, I can fix, workaround or otherwise modify many of the issues and problems myself. There are a plethora of good FREE applications and solutions. BEWARE: There are many useless and/or dangerous free (and $) Windows-based products on the market.

Like many (most?) Apple users I am clueless when it comes to the inner workings of the OS. And, there are far fewer available tools (especially FREE tools) available to aid in overcoming my Apple issues. So part of the my frustration is my own fault. I have not become as familiar with the OS as I have with Windows.

I find it humorous that there are Apple bashers and Microsoft haters. They're just freakin computers, not something important like music, or booze.

Dean,

I would venture to guess a lot of it comes from not knowing *nix. There are a decent amount of utilities available for Apple OS X as well.

While I prefer Windows to OS X (mainly due to gaming), there are pros and cons to both.

Dean,

I would venture to guess a lot of it comes from not knowing *nix. There are a decent amount of utilities available for Apple OS X as well.

While I prefer Windows to OS X (mainly due to gaming), there are pros and cons to both.

Agreed on all points. But I'll add this. There are a lot of games for Apple, just not NEARLY as many as for Windows. Same with utilities and apps (especially for free). Widgets are helping, though,

Agreed on all points. But I'll add this. There are a lot of games for Apple, just not NEARLY as many as for Windows. Same with utilities and apps (especially for free). Widgets are helping, though,

And the fact that most Mac games aren't games that are that popular. There are a few exceptions of course (Q3A, Deus Ex, WoW), but I'll be damned if I use a platform that won't support ut2k7.

I used to agree on the games front, but no more! I have one of the Intel based systems, so I can boot into Windows XP or Mac OS X. I run OS X for 99.99% of things because I'm more at home with the Unix base. I can run all of my little Unix utilities, and use a killer UI for the things I don't feel like toying with (i.e. Mail. Mail is not meant to be plain text anymore!).

I've also got a few GB set aside for Bootcamp to run XP for playing games if I want. It's the best of both worlds. Honestly though, I use the PS for games now as I get sick of looking at a computer screen by about 3:00PM now.

It's largely comfort and what you're familiar with. I've spent 8 hours a day for the last 10 years in front of something that greets me with a textual prompt. I'm lost without a Unix command line. Hell, 9 times out of 10 I drop to it on my Apple and do things the way I know. The first thing I do with a new OS X install is drag the terminal to the dock.

I personally couldn't imagine ever going back to Windows. It just feels awkward, clunky, and restrictive to me. I do realize that's due to my preference and my time with OS X, though. If I understood it half as well as I understand anything *nix based, I'd feel the same way you do.

I usually just stay out of these discussions now because it usually leads to "Macs are just as vulnerable as Windows machines, it's just that no one writes viruses for them." I'll just say this - consider them a contender when you buy a new computer. If you just browse the Apple store and decide not to, that's fine. I still look at the Dell and the HP options when I upgrade, though I've not gone that route in quite some time.

As far as utilities and free software, you've got GCC with the free developer's kit. That provides for a world of open source utilities.

I used to agree on the games front, but no more! I have one of the Intel based systems, so I can boot into Windows XP or Mac OS X. I run OS X for 99.99% of things because I'm more at home with the Unix base. I can run all of my little Unix utilities, and use a killer UI for the things I don't feel like toying with (i.e. Mail. Mail is not meant to be plain text anymore!).

I've also got a few GB set aside for Bootcamp to run XP for playing games if I want. It's the best of both worlds. Honestly though, I use the PS for games now as I get sick of looking at a computer screen by about 3:00PM now.

It's largely comfort and what you're familiar with. I've spent 8 hours a day for the last 10 years in front of something that greets me with a textual prompt. I'm lost without a Unix command line. Hell, 9 times out of 10 I drop to it on my Apple and do things the way I know. The first thing I do with a new OS X install is drag the terminal to the dock.

I personally couldn't imagine ever going back to Windows. It just feels awkward, clunky, and restrictive to me. I do realize that's due to my preference and my time with OS X, though. If I understood it half as well as I understand anything *nix based, I'd feel the same way you do.

I usually just stay out of these discussions now because it usually leads to "Macs are just as vulnerable as Windows machines, it's just that no one writes viruses for them." I'll just say this - consider them a contender when you buy a new computer. If you just browse the Apple store and decide not to, that's fine. I still look at the Dell and the HP options when I upgrade, though I've not gone that route in quite some time.

As far as utilities and free software, you've got GCC with the free developer's kit. That provides for a world of open source utilities.

Good info. Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Turner deal done yet?