The Right Side of the O-Line...

Just checked the depth chart courtesy of BB.com

RT: (1) Langston Walker (2) Terrence Pennington (3) Brad Butler

RG: (1) Duke Preston (2) Jason Whittle (3) Aaron Merz.

I recognize that off season depth charts are a lot of BS but I was really hoping L. Walker would be moved to guard where I think he could be more effective as road grader run blocker and less of a liability in pass protection. Duke Preston seemed ineffective when he played and I don't think warrants a starting spot. Conversely Terrance Pennington was a real bright spot on the O-line (IMO) and once he was promoted to a starter I thought he shored up the O-line.

I can't see us adding any additional O-lineman though the draft so my question to you guys would be how do you think we will O-line will lineup on opening day?

Peters, Dockery and Fowler are starters. I think it is safe to say that no positions are set on the right side yet. If Pennington has a monster preseason then it may force Walker to get a look at guard. Butler will also get a look at guard. Preston needs to impress to start, he has a lot of competiton and it is time for him to grow up and come of age. Merz, Whittle and a rookie to be drafted will fight for the last spots. I really like that Marv added 3 veterans here, the competition will enable us to see what we have in holdovers Pennington, Preston, Butler and Merz.

Don't you think the price was low? Prominent RTs CAN get the big bucks. His name escapes me, but the guy from the jests (McKenzie?) got a huge deal before the new CBA, and Runyan has been pulling down the big bucks for quite some time.

I hope they keep it going and grab an early RG.

I am going to have to find out about that... this 109 million dollar cap (and 29 teams with cap space) has me unsettled about what things should cost.

I really thought that Walker had a chance to play guard but if Pennington is a question mark, that goes out the window. If they're serious about interior pass protection or a power running game, Fowler and "X" is nothing more than gamble for this year. Just another team muddling along, making do until next years draft.

If Pennington has a monster preseason then it may force Walker to get a look at guard. Butler will also get a look at guard. .

Butler may never get a look at guard -- like Pennington and maybe Walker he is of the tall, long armed and upright variety offensive linemen. They might all be tackles just as it's listed on the depth chart.

Butler may never get a look at guard -- like Pennington and maybe Walker he is of the tall, long armed and upright variety offensive linemen. They might all be tackles just as it's listed on the depth chart.

I suspect Butler is going to be made into a swing OG/OT While he might be best suited for Right OT I don't think he'll beat out Langston Walker inpart because of the contract he received and less we forget he couldn't beat out Pennington last year. So I think our depth chart will look as such:

Left OT: Jason Peters

Left OG: Derrick Dockery

Center: Melvin Fowler

Right OG Duke Preston

Right OT: Langston Walker

Backup OG/OC: Jason Whittle

Backup OT: Terrence Pennington

Backup OT/OG: Brad Butler