The Right Side of the O-Line...

Just checked the depth chart courtesy of BB.com

RT: (1) Langston Walker (2) Terrence Pennington (3) Brad Butler

RG: (1) Duke Preston (2) Jason Whittle (3) Aaron Merz.

I recognize that off season depth charts are a lot of BS but I was really hoping L. Walker would be moved to guard where I think he could be more effective as road grader run blocker and less of a liability in pass protection. Duke Preston seemed ineffective when he played and I don't think warrants a starting spot. Conversely Terrance Pennington was a real bright spot on the O-line (IMO) and once he was promoted to a starter I thought he shored up the O-line.

I can't see us adding any additional O-lineman though the draft so my question to you guys would be how do you think we will O-line will lineup on opening day?

They will line up at the line of scrimmage facing the opposition and the goal line they're pursuing.

yeah unless they're lined up wrong it which case it's an illegal formation <_<

ahaha excellent way to start the discussion

I recognize that off season depth charts are a lot of BS but I was really hoping L. Walker would be moved to guard where I think he could be more effective as road grader run blocker and less of a liability in pass protection. Duke Preston seemed ineffective when he played and I don't think warrants a starting spot. Conversely Terrance Pennington was a real bright spot on the O-line (IMO) and once he was promoted to a starter I thought he shored up the O-line.

I can't see us adding any additional O-lineman though the draft so my question to you guys would be how do you think we will O-line will lineup on opening day?

Depth charts in the offseason don't mean much at all. I think McNally is going to have to do some tinkering in camp before he figures out what they're going to look like. I also thought Pennington looked like a player out there, and with a year's seasoning under his belt, he will be an improved player.

The left foot of the RG will be placed just to the right of the right foot of the C. The right foot of the RG will be placed just to the left of the left foot of the RT.

There are variations on this theme, but that's it in a nutshell. It really gets complicated when you add a TE.

I'm pleased with the improvements we have made but still don't believe we have a legit RG on our roster. We pretty much have 3 guys (Preston, Butler, and Whittle) fighting to be the weak spot on our line. I wouldn't cry over a first day Olineman drafted to add to the mix..............

I think that it's going to be Preston at RG and Walker at RT, but I hope that Jauron realizes that the best combination of players would be Peters at LT, Dockery at LG, Fowler at C, Walker at RG and Pennington at RT.

with how well pennington played in the second half of last season when he was inserted into the lineup...i have to believe that if walker lands the starting RT spot, and terrance gives him a run for his money...they should start pennington at RG.

Peters - Dockery - Fowler - Pennington - Walker

Thats a dang good line, as well as HUGE! However, i would replace Fowler with The Duke.

*Next year they should draft OL Ryan Poles from Boston College. I played high school ball with him in Canandaigua NY, and he is a big boy. would be great depth...his dad, Junior Poles, played in the league for the Seahawks. (Just a random thought)

I recognize that off season depth charts are a lot of BS but I was really hoping L. Walker would be moved to guard where I think he could be more effective as road grader run blocker and less of a liability in pass protection.

They like competition down there in Orchard Park but even with Walker in the mix they might not find a winner. They will have to use some other criteria to find a RG.

Too many people for a coin toss. If they go by weight, it looks like our man Walker.

I think that it's going to be Preston at RG and Walker at RT, but I hope that Jauron realizes that the best combination of players would be Peters at LT, Dockery at LG, Fowler at C, Walker at RG and Pennington at RT.

Bingo. Me too. Either way though, Peters and Dockery on the left side will help JP immensely.

I agree with the line of reasoning showing up here. From the limited games we saw Pennington and Preston line up next to each other I got the sense that Preston was the weaker link, in addition to being older (less room for improvement) and less physically gifted. I trust McNally more than my eye, but if you have to ask me I'd like to see Walker at RG and Pennington at RT.

I agree with the line of reasoning showing up here. From the limited games we saw Pennington and Preston line up next to each other I got the sense that Preston was the weaker link, in addition to being older (less room for improvement) and less physically gifted. I trust McNally more than my eye, but if you have to ask me I'd like to see Walker at RG and Pennington at RT.

Pennington got a lot of help from the TE, which is to be expected from a 7th round rookie, but Marv was unhappy about this at his press conference. He said that he wanted the TE more involved in the offense, and of course he is right.

I think that the difference between the two is that Pennington seems to have a chance to be a good RT, and Preston has been around longer but simply has not played well. I am thinking that the Bills need an upgrade at RG.

Hopefully, RT will not be a problem in 07.

with the size of walker, and his wingspan...they have to keep him at RT, it would be silly to move him inside to RG. you need your better lineman at the tackle position, therefore it would be wise to put pennington at RG and leave walker where he has been playing.

Pennington is also very tall. He doesn't have the stout frame of most successful OGs.

TP is a very hard player to rate. He is big and seems to have some agility, yet he (no surprise for a 7th round rookie) has a long way to go, especially in terms of keeping balanced.

I think that Marv signed Walker because he feared that Pennington would be a modern day Corey Loucheiy, who LOOKED like a prototype RT, but was in fact a painfully bad football player.

That said, Pennington gained experience in 06, and perhaps he will turn out to be a GOOD player. Imo, it could easily go either way.

Oh....welcome to TSW.

I think that Marv signed Walker because he feared that Pennington would be a modern day Corey Loucheiy, who LOOKED like a prototype RT, but was in fact a painfully bad football player.

At that price Marv has to know that. The prelimary depth chart looks like real thing.

At that price Marv has to know that. The prelimary depth chart looks like real thing.

Don't you think the price was low? Prominent RTs CAN get the big bucks. His name escapes me, but the guy from the jests (McKenzie?) got a huge deal before the new CBA, and Runyan has been pulling down the big bucks for quite some time.

As I recall, Walker got a very similar contract to what the Skins gave Fletcher. 5 mil per season is not expensive these days for a guy who can play well at RT. Guards are getting 48-50 million dollar contracts.

I do agree with the premise of your post. Ever since the press conference, I was under the impression that Levy thought little of Pennington at RT.

I think that you are one of the posters on this board who know just how different the Bills will be if these OL moves are successful. They will play a totally different game, especially at home.

I hope they keep it going and grab an early RG.