Real Estate gurus....

RayFinkle

has a sign on the top of it which reads "Under Contract". Also the actual listing for the house online states "Under Contract". Just curious, what does this mean?

it means "under contract". Not to be a smart ass, but that is what it means. Now, there may be contigincies attached, so under contract does not mean "SOLD". Call the agent up and inquire about the status!

From what I've been able to find on Google, it sounds like it's similar to a "sale pending", where they've found a buyer, but the buyer still has to get the inspection, mortage, etc, until they are ready to close.

The buyer and seller have reached an agreement. The seller cannot back out of the deal unless the buyer doesnt live up the their end of the contract.

Basically, the house is sold unless the buyer decides he does not want to or can't buy. This can happen for any number of reasons

1) Financing falling through

2) Home inspection reveals problems

3) Contract is contingent upon the sale of the buyers current house, and current house does not sell in time specified in the contract.

4) Buyer just gets cold feet

5) Some other reason I cant think of now

All 4 (5?) are possible, but basically the house is off the market, but not sold..yet. Call the realtor and find out the status of the house. Give them your contact information, and tell them that if the deal falls through you would be very interested. Be prepared for the realtor to tell you "I just listed a house around the corner from this one" or some other line...they will try to get your business. If you want, meet with the realtor, but the best (and easiest) way out of this situation is simply say "im working with an agent already, I just wanted to see if this house was available"

Also, im not sure if they can provide this info, but ask when closing is scheduled for, and give a call back to the agent a couple days/week before the closing to see if everything is going smoothly. Also ask something to the effect of "did you find a well qualified buyer". This is a tough question to ask and for them to answer, but if asked correctly, it will give you a good feel for how solid they feel the buyer is, and how likely it is they wont be able to secure financing.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.