(OT) NBA player suspended without pay

Like A Mofo

Now ive seen it all in sports

Qyntel Woods - Portland Trailblazers

TUALATIN, Ore. Oct. 12, 2004 — The Portland Trail Blazers suspended reserve forward Qyntel Woods without pay Tuesday pending a team investigation surrounding alleged dogfighting.

Woods' Lake Oswego home was searched Monday by Clackamas County Sheriff's deputies, acting on a warrant obtained after allegations that Woods abandoned his pit bull reportedly because it would not fight for him.

No criminal charges have been filed.

"We are deeply disturbed by the developments in this case and we believe that suspending Qyntel is warranted and necessary," team president Steve Patterson said in a written statement.

"This organization will not accept this type of behavior and if these allegations prove to be true and if further steps are needed, we will not hesitate to take them," the statement said.

Dogfighting is a felony in Oregon. Promoting or conducting dogfighting is punishable by up to $100,000 in fines and five years in jail, according to state statutes.

Joel Manley, spokesman for the Clackamas County Sheriff's office, said deputies seized evidence in Woods' house that they believe was connected to dogfighting.

"We are going to analyze it from here and send it to the state crime lab and they will do a complete forensic analysis," Manley said.

Woods' agent, Raymond Brothers, denied that his client was involved with dogfighting. Brothers said he is appealing the suspension to the players' union.

Fellow teammates were stunned by the developments.

"Have they said he is guilty? If he's not guilty, how did he get suspended then?" guard Derek Anderson said. "That's the only thing I don't understand. I guess they have their own rules here and I really can't make any comment on that. But I didn't know he was considered guilty enough to get suspended."

Forward Darius Miles said he has been to Woods' home several times and never saw evidence of animal mistreatment.

"I think it's a horrible situation," Miles said. "Qyntel was playing real good. I feel he should be practicing, he should be on the court."

Blazers general manager John Nash would not comment beyond Patterson's statement. When asked how long the suspension would last, he said: "As long as the investigation takes."

It is not the first time the 23-year-old Woods has been in trouble. He has previously been cited on marijuana possession charges and for driving with a suspended license.

Now in his third year with the Blazers, Woods was the 21st overall pick in the 2002 draft out of Northeast Mississippi Community College.

Im a Blazer fan and have to tell you that this guy is scum and whats worse is he blows as a player!

The Blazers canr seem to escape bad press, but this guy has been busted for smoking a few times and has actually given a cop a basketball card of himself when pulled over for speeding.

Im preying the Blazers release this smuck.

Heres another story ive heard about this.....i guess woods was feeding puppies and kittens to his pitbulls and digging holes in his backup for the puppies bones.

hes one sick person.