Netflix vs. the Postal Service

ajzepp

About six months ago, I noticed that my Netflix films were taking a bit longer in transit. Sometimes I'd put a movie back in the mail and it wouldn't show up as Netflix having received it for like 3-4 days later. It was really becoming frustrating, but I just bumped up my subscription to accommodate the slow turnaround time. Eventually I still got annoyed by it, so I called them up and bitched about it. I told them that I KNEW they were throttling me because when I lived at my prior address the turnaround time was very consistently one day each way. The guy apologized, but swore up and down that they weren't doing anything of the sort. It continued being slow for the next few months, but I just dealt with it.

Well, I've been at my new place for a month now, and all of a sudden it's back to a one day turnaround. I was on the 7-at-a-time plan, but I've since taken it back down to 5 since I can't keep up with all the films. To make a long story short, I'm convinced that one or more of my postal carriers were screwing with my returns. If not that, then SOMETHING out of the ordinary was going on, cause there's no way it would range from 1-4 days for a film to get back to a distribution center that was only fifteen miles away. I don't know what was going on, but I"m convinced that Netflix wasn't the problem.

I'm back to loving this service now more than ever....

About six months ago, I noticed that my Netflix films were taking a bit longer in transit. Sometimes I'd put a movie back in the mail and it wouldn't show up as Netflix having received it for like 3-4 days later. It was really becoming frustrating, but I just bumped up my subscription to accommodate the slow turnaround time. Eventually I still got annoyed by it, so I called them up and bitched about it. I told them that I KNEW they were throttling me because when I lived at my prior address the turnaround time was very consistently one day each way. The guy apologized, but swore up and down that they weren't doing anything of the sort. It continued being slow for the next few months, but I just dealt with it.

Well, I've been at my new place for a month now, and all of a sudden it's back to a one day turnaround. I was on the 7-at-a-time plan, but I've since taken it back down to 5 since I can't keep up with all the films. To make a long story short, I'm convinced that one or more of my postal carriers were screwing with my returns. If not that, then SOMETHING out of the ordinary was going on, cause there's no way it would range from 1-4 days for a film to get back to a distribution center that was only fifteen miles away. I don't know what was going on, but I"m convinced that Netflix wasn't the problem.

Maybe if you stopped watching 4 movies a night and paid a little more attention to Lana...

I'm just sayin...

To make a long story short, I'm convinced that one or more of my postal carriers were screwing with my returns. If not that, then SOMETHING out of the ordinary was going on, cause there's no way it would range from 1-4 days for a film to get back to a distribution center that was only fifteen miles away. I don't know what was going on, but I"m convinced that Netflix wasn't the problem.

Did you leave them in your former domicile's - open - post box for pick-up? If so, anyone could have swiped them and viewed them.

Perhaps mailing them in a different location could have proved/disproved your theory...

The Post Office continually warns folks not to leave things of value like these discs, things like mail with checks in them, etc, in open boxes.

You need to have your checking account raided because you left a piece of mail with a valid check in an open box. ;)

I had a mail carrier who read one of my magazines, or at least that was my conclusion. I always got it a day or two later than everyone else, the wrapper was gone or torn and it just wasn't in pristine condition,

Fortunately for me, he wasn't OVERLY attracted to the material as the pages of my Cigar Aficionado were never stuck together. :blink:

I had been getting terrible response times from NetFlix so I changed to the blockbuster plan... so far that's been 1 & 2 day turnaround again. Probably just has to do with the route it takes I'd assume? Oh well, I like being able to go into a store on the way home if I don't want to wait.

You need to have your checking account raided because you left a piece of mail with a valid check in an open box. ;)

Its funny how a completely aynomous post can make you paranoid for a minute. I left my tax return in the mail box this morning for the mail carrier to pick up, then I read your post and I'm thinking "how did he know where I live...". I need a tin foil hat. :blink:

Its funny how a completely aynomous post can make you paranoid for a minute. I left my tax return in the mail box this morning for the mail carrier to pick up, then I read your post and I'm thinking "how did he know where I live...". I need a tin foil hat. :blink:

It is. That's why I have not one, but two, tinfoil hat avatars in my collection. ;)

No sweat:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Well, I've been at my new place for a month now, and all of a sudden it's back to a one day turnaround. I was on the 7-at-a-time plan, but I've since taken it back down to 5 since I can't keep up with all the films....

I've got the 3 movie at a time plan and I thought I was over doing it.....I stand corrected.

One thing I have noticed, if I watch a lot of movies in a short period of time (get the most bang for my buck) suddenly my movies seem to take longer to get to me. I honestly think it is Netflix way of "slowing down" the customer...

Maybe if you stopped watching 4 movies a night and paid a little more attention to Lana...

I'm just sayin...

I'll just have to make sure she's IN the movies....the whole "two birds" thing :blink:

I'll just have to make sure she's IN the movies....the whole "two birds" thing :blink:

I MUST be missing the reference, as the only thing I can come up with for "two birds" is BUSH-related. You CAN'T be going there (so to speak)...can you?

Did you leave them in your former domicile's - open - post box for pick-up? If so, anyone could have swiped them and viewed them.

Perhaps mailing them in a different location could have proved/disproved your theory...

The Post Office continually warns folks not to leave things of value like these discs, things like mail with checks in them, etc, in open boxes.

True, it could have easily been a neighbor. I guess I feel that much of the value from the service comes from being able to walk to your mailbox each day for the discs instead of having to drive them somewhere else, so I think aside from a few occasions I never sent them from anywhere but home.

I MUST be missing the reference, as the only thing I can come up with for "two birds" is BUSH-related. You CAN'T be going there (so to speak)...can you?

You mean the "bird in the hand is better than two in the bush"? lol

AJ man, you need to get out more! :blink: Or at least pay some more attention to lana.

Lana's almost as bad as I am! ;)