Who will Shock us this year?

I expect the Bills to trade down into the 20s and pick up extra picks- I think the Bills want the offense centered around the passing game and want to give J.P. more options than he had last year-

I could see a draft like

1. Meachem, Jarret, or Bowes WRs

2a. Zach Miller TE

2b. David Harris LB

or 1. Tillman or POZ

2a Zach Miller TE

2b Jason Hill WR

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think Buffalo goes Levi Brown, he's projected at LT and we've got one. Ben Grubbs will be the only first round G selected and I don't think Marv is high on rookie OL, thus the moves in FA.

If Willis and Posluszny are there, I think Willis has more potential. Both are high character players, but will need to get stronger.

Don't think Buffalo goes offense in Round 1 (of course anything is possible) given Jauron's penchant for defense. During his tenure in Chicago, the Bears had a pretty good record in selecting defensive players. (Urlacher, Briggs, M. Brown, C. Tillman, R. Colvin, Azumah)

With so many people talking CB, what does that say for Youboty? Or is this proposed CB in Round 1 going to be McGee's replacement should he fail this coming season? I prefer Revis over Hall for the simple fact he's as fast but bigger and better against the run.

Still, if Okoye is there, you've got to love that guy. I think he'll only get better. After all, he's 19 years old!

Don't think Buffalo goes offense in Round 1 (of course anything is possible) given Jauron's penchant for defense. During his tenure in Chicago, the Bears had a pretty good record in selecting defensive players. (Urlacher, Briggs, M. Brown, C. Tillman, R. Colvin, Azumah)

I think there is a very good chance two of their first three selections will indeed be on the offensive side of the football.

Don't think Buffalo goes Levi Brown, he's projected at LT and we've got one. Ben Grubbs will be the only first round G selected and I don't think Marv is high on rookie OL, thus the moves in FA.

If Willis and Posluszny are there, I think Willis has more potential. Both are high character players, but will need to get stronger.

With so many people talking CB, what does that say for Youboty? Or is this proposed CB in Round 1 going to be McGee's replacement should he fail this coming season? I prefer Revis over Hall for the simple fact he's as fast but bigger and better against the run.

Still, if Okoye is there, you've got to love that guy. I think he'll only get better. After all, he's 19 years old!

The Bears actually drafted quite heavily on offense under Dick Jauron. They drafted 11 players offensively on the first day in his 5 years in Chicago. Four were first round selections. By contrast, they selected 8 defensive players, and just two of those were 1st round selections.

The Bears actually drafted quite heavily on offense under Dick Jauron. They drafted 11 players offensively on the first day in his 5 years in Chicago. Four were first round selections. By contrast, they selected 8 defensive players, and just two of those were 1st round selections.

It's not so much the numbers of first day selections, it's the quality of picks. This is the same team that drafted Cade McNown, David Terrell, and Rex Grossman during Jauron's time there. The talent selected on the defensive side of the ball far outweighs the offensive side. Now, I'm not saying DJ was the principle reason behind this. We'll never know for sure. They've just had more defensive success than offensive.

If we say that 50% of 1st round picks are busts or underperformers, I'd take my chances with having 3 or 4 2nd and 3rd round picks. There's a greater chance of success in those rounds and Chicago demonstrated that from 99-03

Based on what? And if so, who?

For sure there will be a RB and LB taken in the first 3 rounds taking up two of those picks. And a WR/TE is a big hole in the offense so it would not surprise me to see that position addressed before a CB is taken. In fact, all the talk about Meachem (smoke screen or not) shows that the Bills know WR is a concern.

If you look at the "holes" on the team right now, I think you would find something like this (in order of need):

1. RB/OLB (both are prime needs)

2. WR/TE

3. CB

4. Depth on the Lines

So, you could argue a case for more offensive picks than defensive on the first day. Of course, you could also argue to opposite. Point being, I don't think it's going to be a lopsided draft for either side of the ball. But if it is, it wouldn't surprise me to see more attention payed to the offense than the D.

For sure there will be a RB and LB taken in the first 3 rounds taking up two of those picks. And a WR/TE is a big hole in the offense so it would not surprise me to see that position addressed before a CB is taken. In fact, all the talk about Meachem (smoke screen or not) shows that the Bills know WR is a concern.

If you look at the "holes" on the team right now, I think you would find something like this (in order of need):

1. RB/OLB (both are prime needs)

2. WR/TE

3. CB

4. Depth on the Lines

So, you could argue a case for more offensive picks than defensive on the first day. Of course, you could also argue to opposite. Point being, I don't think it's going to be a lopsided draft for either side of the ball. But if it is, it wouldn't surprise me to see more attention payed to the offense than the D.

Summary: outside of punter, the Bills are nothing but holes to be filled. Oh, and cheaply.

Summary: outside of punter, the Bills are nothing but holes to be filled. Oh, and cheaply.

Yes and no. I think there are as many holes on Offense as there are on Defense, but not "oh so many".

If you look at the roster (as far as starters go) the team is locked at: QB, OL, WR (only 1 spot though), DT, DE, CB, SS, FS, P, PK ... that's not so bad.

The league has shown over the past few seasons that RB is an easy position to fill either by committee or through the draft, there will be LB options at 12 available for the Bills (either Willis or moving back to take Polz/Timmons etc), and there is a strong possibility that they can add a solid No. 2 WR and depth at CB on day 1.

The team isn't in as bad a shape as the doom and gloomers would have you believe.

the team is locked at: QB, OL, WR (only 1 spot though), DT, DE, CB, SS, FS, P, PK ... that's not so bad.

Maybe. I'd kind of like to leave the term "locked" for positions that are filled by a guy that is in the top 5, or if we must dumb it down top 10, in the NFL. But, obviously, the Bills can't draft new players to fill the entire roster in a year.

Maybe. I'd kind of like to leave the term "locked" for positions that are filled by a guy that is in the top 5, or if we must dumb it down top 10, in the NFL. But, obviously, the Bills can't draft new players to fill the entire roster in a year.

No team in the league can have all top 10 players. It's not possible with the cap.

But if you look at the possibilities for top players, the Bills are in good shape. They have budding superstars at LT and WR. They have a potentially great tandum at safety. They have a QB who has all the tools to be one of the top 5 in the league (though he's not there yet). They also have a solid, though not spectacular rotation of DEs.

That's not a bad start for one of the youngest rosters in the league.

But it's apparent you're just looking to be a grumpy gus, so whatever floats your boat.

No team in the league can have all top 10 players. It's not possible with the cap.

But if you look at the possibilities for top players, the Bills are in good shape. They have budding superstars at LT and WR. They have a potentially great tandum at safety. They have a QB who has all the tools to be one of the top 5 in the league (though he's not there yet). They also have a solid, though not spectacular rotation of DEs.

That's not a bad start for one of the youngest rosters in the league.

But it's apparent you're just looking to be a grumpy gus, so whatever floats your boat.

cheers to that! :beer:

Don't think Buffalo goes Levi Brown, he's projected at LT and we've got one.

So what ? If the Bills see a special offensive tackle, move some things around. Peters is being paid like a good right tackle if I'm not mistaken.

Again, passing up needs in favour of special football players is the sort of shock I would welcome.

So what ? If the Bills see a special offensive tackle, move some things around. Peters is being paid like a good right tackle if I'm not mistaken.

Again, passing up needs in favour of special football players is the sort of shock I would welcome.

Not only that, a couple of sites think that he might be a better guard. As far as I know, we don't have a decent RG (although imo Merz looked OK vs. NE when I was at RWS).

With 4 first day picks, getting a good rookie RG really shouldn't be the hardest task to accomplish.

Be careful with your negativism. Realism is strictly monitored and in fact not appreciated.

Seriously, there are areas that look better on paper than they actually are. How many teams in all sports look great on paper (Carolina 2006) and end up playing poorly. There are also plenty of teams that play better, (New Orleans) but pre-season predictions should mean almost nothing.

That said, this team has several needs. RB, LB are the principle needs with DT, CB, S depth, #2 WR, TE, and G depth are needed. It is early, but there will be no more significant signings in FA (perhaps Turner, but a dream) and the rest of the needs will be filled with rookies. This fits in with where Buffalo will be salary cap wise. I think they'll be somewhere near the NFL minimum, so rookies will figure prominently.

Not only that, a couple of sites think that he might be a better guard. As far as I know, we don't have a decent RG (although imo Merz looked OK vs. NE when I was at RWS).

With 4 first day picks, getting a good rookie RG really shouldn't be the hardest task to accomplish.

we dont need a rookie RG to start. Butler and Walker will be manning the right side this year.